XCOM: Enemy Within.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
kregoth

XCOM: Enemy Within.

Post by kregoth »

I was just reading this interview over on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Now I am actually looking forward to the expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within

It seems like they are actually making a worthwhile expansion. The name itself suggests it's likely that fighting inside our base is coming! It's nice knowing that this expansion is going to actually add to the core game, rather than trying to expand on useless story, or adding pointless additions. Well at least that what I hope they do after reading the interview.

Really looking forward to another Classic difficulty run of this game with new things to do :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: XCOM: Enemy Within.

Post by Sarudak »

It looks very interesting. The one thing I'm worried about is that I hope they don't make it too easy by giving all these extra bonuses to the player. Also I'm wondering if I'll be motivated to do another playthrough when I've already played the game once. Also I hope I get to try this out at PAX this weekend! :D
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I really only did 1 game in classic Iron Man mode, and sadly that was the last time I played the game. There are a lot of thing I really didn't like about the game, but damn it was still a good game.

The whole interview was very weird, to me it sounds like they are hiding a lot more than what they are letting on. I am hopefully it's some changes and improvements on the core game, though that just wishful thinking. I really hope this is an "Expansion" and not some horribly overpriced DLC!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I am super-stoked about this expansion, I have to say. I'm glad they learned their lesson about Operation Slingshot being a horrible way to do X-COM DLC. Also really cool that it's still the same game, just expanded upon. Like an... I don't know... like an expansion... pack? ~trollface~
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It doesn't look like attacks on the base are in the works, which is good. The ant farm view would not translate at all well to the isometric maps. Without the ability to customize the top entry level at all, defending that territory just would not be fun for me like it was in previous titles.

For the most part it looks like they're mostly just adding buffs to the power armor and troops while dropping in random timed objectives to every single battle that are used to pay for those upgrades. It could be a worthwhile upgrade to the fun but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Based on the interviews and the amount of time they spent working on that I have a feeling they've got a lot more than that going on than that. I would love to see some expansions to the strategic part of the game that allow for more freedom in how you address the alien invasion.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Well, have been playing Enemy Within a fair bit and really enjoying it. I think the thing I'm noticing most, more than the MECs and Gene Mods and new foes, is the polish. The interface is ~worlds~ better, with a bunch of little bugs and glitches and annoyances fixed. There's a button to auto-unequip your soldiers, for example, and the cinematic kill cam doesn't play every. time. you kill. anything.

The new content is a lot of fun, too. The scripted missions are a little forced as always, but still fun. The new toys are powerful, but fairly well balanced by well-designed new foes that really force you to-

[STRANGLED]

@#$%! @#$%ING SEEKERS KEEP ASSASSINATING MY @#$%ING SNIPERS! >.>
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Meanwhile Europe gets shafted once again because those digital copies obvious have to cross the digital sea, and won't arrive until Friday night.

*ahem*

Question for those who have played it: Have they fixed that damn camera resetting to the standard height thing whenever you switch soldiers yet? It was annoying as hell in the original game. I want to stay zoomed out damnit. :(
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Meh, I'm more interested in OpenXCOM.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Benanov wrote:Meh, I'm more interested in OpenXCOM.
Cool, I didn't know this existed. I followed and even contributed to project-xenocide but it died, and Xenonauts is taking forever to be finished.