Snow: The worst thing

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TiLT

Snow: The worst thing

Post by TiLT »

I am getting to the point where I want to get resources from all the different biomes and want to increase my map presence. So what is the best way to do that? Roads! So I build a wood/packed dirt road... Then this happens:

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

"Frickin game mechanic... *mumbles* making me have to put roofs on my bridges... *mumbles*"

Nice job FC, making me rage but with no excuses. :)

(Oh, and sorry for bad image quality but I think it conveys my point)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Snow: The worst thing

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...and now you also know why I put so much work into snow covering half-slabs, as that isn't a solution here either :)

You're basically left with two options. Light your road like crazy, or build cool covered walkways like this:
Spoiler
Show
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Nice Bridge FC. Looks awesome.
I hate doing this, but u forgot one option:
Build a underground road. With other words: a tunnel. But this is the worst option as it takes lots of time and you might loose orientation quickly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, tunnels are of course an option too. With well traveled routes I often have both, so I can use the tunnels at night.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Ha, that's is probably what I will do, light it up! In retrospect I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. I'm such a noob. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TiLT wrote:Ha, that's is probably what I will do, light it up! In retrospect I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. I'm such a noob. :P
Well, you'll need shit load of torches to do that. If I remember right, torches only melt the blocks directly adjacent, so you'll need a torch every third block.

If you have auto charcoal production, that might not be too bad, otherwise, that's an awful lot of mining.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

According to the Minecraft Wiki torches melt snow in a 2 block radius, so unless that was changed in BTW you'll need a torch every four blocks.
Relevant bit wrote:Torches also melt nearby snow and ice, making them useful to keep skylights from being snowed over and lakes from freezing in snow biomes.
The torches will however only melt snow and ice from a radius of 2 blocks from the torch.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
ion

Post by ion »

my way is to use a light block ( torch pumpkin other) under a siding as it lets the light out but it's still opaque. this way the snow melt and you don't have the spam torches above. it's a bit of pain with the way to do it, because placing subblocks sucks.
RollsRoyce68

Post by RollsRoyce68 »

I'm more a fan of either a half slab sunk into the ground, or a slightly raised road with a nice edge to it. Roofs and torches can be very resource intensive, so I don't tend to go for those options unless it's just across my farm/town.

As for tunnels, I like to use them for mine carts and/or mineshafts only. I'm not so much a fan of them as a main footpath unless they're carved into the side of a mountain and sufficiently decorated. That said, they do offer excellent discretion and protection, even on anarchy servers AND they're not limited by oceans or mountains.
August West

Post by August West »

RollsRoyce68 wrote:I'm more a fan of either a half slab sunk into the ground, or a slightly raised road with a nice edge to it. Roofs and torches can be very resource intensive, so I don't tend to go for those options unless it's just across my farm/town.
Best of luck with that one.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

RollsRoyce68 wrote:As for tunnels, I like to use them for mine carts and/or mineshafts only. I'm not so much a fan of them as a main footpath unless they're carved into the side of a mountain and sufficiently decorated.
Jungles are dangerous enough now that I will tunnel under them instead of trying to build a road through.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

RollsRoyce68 wrote:I'm more a fan of either a half slab sunk into the ground, or a slightly raised road with a nice edge to it. Roofs and torches can be very resource intensive, so I don't tend to go for those options unless it's just across my farm/town.
You do realize that in BTW, snow falls on half slabs?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheRedBrain

Post by TheRedBrain »

Gilberreke wrote:
You do realize that in BTW, snow falls on half slabs?
But you can see the high difference, so if everything is covered with snow you can see the road nontheless :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheRedBrain wrote:But you can see the high difference, so if everything is covered with snow you can see the road nontheless :)
You realize that people generally build roads to move faster right? Seeing the road if it's covered in slowing snow is a rather secondary consideration.
TheRedBrain

Post by TheRedBrain »

Yeah I know what you mean :)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...and now you also know why I put so much work into snow covering half-slabs, as that isn't a solution here either :)

You're basically left with two options. Light your road like crazy, or build cool covered walkways like this:
Spoiler
Show
I just have to ask...are those platforms tables? They look really thin compared to slabs. I didn't realize the table 'leg' disappeared with no block underneath it.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Six

Post by Six »

Dorugami wrote: I just have to ask...are those platforms tables? They look really thin compared to slabs. I didn't realize the table 'leg' disappeared with no block underneath it.
My friend, let me give you a gift.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Six wrote:
Dorugami wrote: I just have to ask...are those platforms tables? They look really thin compared to slabs. I didn't realize the table 'leg' disappeared with no block underneath it.
My friend, let me give you a gift.
That was epic, I have a dozen new ideas floating in my head right now, but I can only do them in creative :( Curse you cobblestone limit DX
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.