A Tragic Story of Love and Loss

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Shadowhawk36

A Tragic Story of Love and Loss

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Okay so I have a story to tell that is very tragic about my main world in Better Than Wolves, which surprisingly starts back in 1.2.5 before I installed Better Than Wolves. You guys are the only people I thought of telling

Back in 1.2.5, I made dozens of useless worlds that I hardly got past the iron age with, which mostly ended with small hovels in the ground with staircases going into bedrock. So, I go through the routine of creating a new world on a regular day. I'm fairly peppy, so I decide to name it "Ohai", because, hey, why not?

Since this is vanilla, I go through the routine: Punching wood, getting stone, coal, and food, and a hovel. It seems like this world will end like all the others; in a repetitious search for diamonds and iron with simple bread. Right as I think this, I hit a ravine! 'What luck!' I think. 'Quite extravagant, and an extravagant marvel such as this needs a magnificent house.' So I create a longhouse, with a jungle wood floor and oak wood lining.

After a while, I have about two stacks of iron. So I left the world in my saves like a crappy History Channel game you played for 5 minutes and set on the shelf to collect dust.

Eventually, I get Better Than Wolves for vMC 1.2.5. I never develop anything on this particular world, so fast forward to later.

Later...

I rediscover BTW for 1.5. Blah Blah Blah, new changes and I adapt and whatever. An interesting thought occurred to me, and that was to use "Ohai" for a good main world. It's not too developed, no diamonds or anything too fancy, so I go for it. Its still a struggle, as I only had 11 pieces of bread for food when I installed it, with a 20-30 piece wheat farm outside.

I develop it, getting an absolute hoard of food, diamond sword, pick, and shovel. Wheat is used to breed cows and sheep, while the excess seeds are used for chickens. I head off to the nether and collect netherrack for a Cauldron. Eventually I find wolves, and collect dung for a saw. This is when things picked up for me in BTW, like most people. I get a cauldron, kiln, and crucible setup with 2 windmills and a watermill ready for use within a week of finding wolves.

If you have seen Vioki and Charlie's base, all terraformed and torches in a grid, that is basically what I did with the surrounding area, so that I could work at night. At this time, my cows, sheep, wolves, and chickens are infected by the nether. All the chickens are gone, cows are at a stalemate of breeding, and sheep are doing okay. Wolves are okay as well.

As a good practice, I do regular backups every hour or so. Not for when I die, but if something were to happen like corruption or what-not. As I'm doing this, I delete the old backup and copy my .minecraft to my desktop, before I headed over to my girlfriend's house. When I get back, I open up BTW and see something off: My world is not there on the world selection screen.

"Hmm" I think, "Maybe I accidentally moved it to the recycle bin or the backup." So I check the .minecraft folder. Its not there.

Then I check the backup. Nope.
Then Recycle bin. Nopa like Sopa.

As I see all three windows open at once, my heart sinks. "THE WORLD IS GONE!" I shout.
I do everything I can. A search on the system, in all three folders, even a full blown system recovery (which actually doesn't affect documents, darn). Nothing worked. All my hard work on that world is blown away, and by a stupid mistake on my part.

And so, the perpetual Flowerchild, who wants us to not use previously built up world for a distant advantage, strikes again. I still love you, though, FC :)
To spark discussion, I want to ask: What has been your biggest mistake with a BTW relating subject, be that technical (like savegame) or gameplay wise?
Gunnerman21

Re: A Tragic Story of Love and Loss

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Last year I forgot to install BTW after updating minecraft... I loaded up the world to discover that all my btw contraptions have disappeared. It didn't take that long to replace the items though. At least the stuff in my chests were still okay.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
August West

Post by August West »

Shadowhawk36 wrote:Okay so I have a story to tell that is very tragic about my main world in Better Than Wolves, which surprisingly starts back snip
In the end, it might not be so bad. The early game BTW is so fun and polished it is worth starting a fresh world. Having wheat right off the bat sort of screws up the entire progression for your world.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

August West wrote:In the end, it might not be so bad. The early game BTW is so fun and polished it is worth starting a fresh world. Having wheat right off the bat sort of screws up the entire progression for your world.
Yeah, I definitely realized it, and as a matter of fact, that world was not my first. When I had first installed it, I started a fully legit world, which is still around at the early iron age.

Also, when I looked at all my useless vanilla worlds, I had thought which ones I could convert to BTW and still have fun instead of just deleting them all. That's why I chose that one world, because it wasn't some stupid hobbit hole with 20 iron and a stack of steak.