Zombie Pigman Aggression Mechanics?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheYaMeZ

Zombie Pigman Aggression Mechanics?

Post by TheYaMeZ »

I know this is not strictly BTW related, since I don't think FC has changed anything regarding Pigman aggression. But since building a nether mob trap is quite crucial in securing a decent supply of gold I thought I could ask how exactly it works.

So my old assumption (which is confirmed in the MC Wiki) is that if you attack or otherwise aggress a pigman, every pigman within like 30(ish?) blocks will be aggressive, but only the pigs around 16 or so blocks from you will charge. This seems to be the way they work most of the time, but i've noticed strange behaviour since i've been in the nether a lot more.
For example, i've been attacked by pigmen in an area where i'm sure i've never aggressed one (very far from where i've attacked them previously). Other players on my server have reported being aggressed by pigmen in areas where they have not attacked on either (but other players have caused aggression in the past).
Another instance of strange and inconsistant behaviour is, in the past i've been able to shoot a bow at a pigman with another player on the server right next to it and they aggressed me and only me.
But as a friend and I were excavating for a nether mob trap earlier today, he accidently whacked one and they tore him apart but then chased me down as I was near by.

Has anyone else noticed strange behaviour or know exactly how they act?
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Wibbles

Re: Zombie Pigman Aggression Mechanics?

Post by Wibbles »

I had a bad time with a hostile pigman recently which is why I feel like replying, although like you say it's not strictly BTW related. The only changes that affect pigmen that I can think of is bloodwood trees and spawning limitations (and possibly the groth... although I've never gotten that far).
TheYaMeZ wrote:Another instance of strange and inconsistant behaviour is, in the past i've been able to shoot a bow at a pigman with another player on the server right next to it and they aggressed me and only me.
Did you die, and if so, did the pigman go for your friend next? Or did you kill it (my guess) and therefore never found out? From what I've seen on various sites, the pigmen become hostile to all players until they despawn or die, but I assume they go for the player that provoked them first. I haven't had time to confirm this behaviour though. The wiki page does not specifically mention it.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Sometimes people think they haven't agro'd a pigman but their 100 block arrow shot that just barely missed a ghast ended up hitting one on an island they venture to until much later. Gotta be careful with those arrows.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Angry pigmen will turn to other players as targets if the person who angered them dies, logs out, or leaves the dimension.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Yeppers, and to add on to what kat said you can make suicide bombers. Quite simple. First find a group of zomberts of the pigman type around the victims portal. step two prepare a staircase to nowhere. Step three smack one of them buggers and run up the staircase, removing the first block so you are now protected and standing atop the a (at least) two high tower. Step four, throw some blasting oil at the feet of the baddies, note that not all will be able to pickup the oil. It is crucial to remove (kill) those that cannot comprehend how to pickup a glob of splosion oil. Now that all the surrounding zomberts of the pigman type are mad as hell and holding an explosive oil it is your turn to exit. Remove the blocks that you are standing on, (preferably from the ground up) then logout. What will happen is the victim will come thru their portal and be confronted by a mob of angry zomberts of the pigman type, the victim will slash or try to knockback the mad baddies not realizing what terror they are holding. When one goes up the rest will follow. And remember kids, this will damage shit so don't be too much of an asshole with this mechanic ;)

Also its really fun to just throw the blasting oil at random zomberts of the pigman type, then if one picks it up just walk away. The zombert pigman that holds the oil will not despawn, therefore he will only be able to die under two conditions, player contact or fall damage. :) And you folks thought that only FC could make the nether dangerous ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Katalliaan wrote:Angry pigmen will turn to other players as targets if the person who angered them dies, logs out, or leaves the dimension.
Yep that sounds exactly what the issue is and I don't think thats mentioned in the MC wiki. Thanks for pointing that out.

And Magikeh, that idea is brilliant. I knew zombie pigman behaviour was exploitable but I didn't think to that extent!
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

magikeh wrote:Yeppers, and to add on to what kat said you can make suicide bombers. Quite simple. First find a group of zomberts of the pigman type around the victims portal. step two prepare a staircase to nowhere. Step three smack one of them buggers and run up the staircase, removing the first block so you are now protected and standing atop the a (at least) two high tower. Step four, throw some blasting oil at the feet of the baddies, note that not all will be able to pickup the oil. It is crucial to remove (kill) those that cannot comprehend how to pickup a glob of splosion oil. Now that all the surrounding zomberts of the pigman type are mad as hell and holding an explosive oil it is your turn to exit. Remove the blocks that you are standing on, (preferably from the ground up) then logout. What will happen is the victim will come thru their portal and be confronted by a mob of angry zomberts of the pigman type, the victim will slash or try to knockback the mad baddies not realizing what terror they are holding. When one goes up the rest will follow. And remember kids, this will damage shit so don't be too much of an asshole with this mechanic ;)

Also its really fun to just throw the blasting oil at random zomberts of the pigman type, then if one picks it up just walk away. The zombert pigman that holds the oil will not despawn, therefore he will only be able to die under two conditions, player contact or fall damage. :) And you folks thought that only FC could make the nether dangerous ;)
I thought there was a reason I liked you... this must have been it.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

PatriotBob wrote:I thought there was a reason I liked you... this must have been it.
Nope, its the massive amount of maple syrup and cookies consumed ;D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck