Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: A good plate helm will not, however, protect you from being launched out of your boat, nor from sinking inexorably to the bottom because you're wearing a good plate helm, nor from removing said good plate helm to swim desperately towards the surface, and finally, the good plate helm you aren't wearing anymore definitely won't protect you from being eaten by hats.

EDIT: And losing your good plate helm, which cost way too much SFS in the first place. Damn you, FC.
Funny how it's all kind of come together there isn't it? ;)

Now if only there was some kind of enchantment you could put on a good plate helm to make it more effective under such circumstances...
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:Now if only there was some kind of enchantment you could put on a good plate helm to make it more effective under such circumstances...
Indeed. And wouldn't it be apropos if the scrolls for said enchantments came from the exact same cute little hatsie that started all the trouble in the first place...

EDIT: Or his magical swamp friends. Those would work too, I bet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: Indeed. And wouldn't it be apropos if the scrolls for said enchantments came from the exact same cute little hatsie that started all the trouble in the first place...
True that. But that would be far too great a coincidence wouldn't it? ;)

Loved the story btw. Had a really good laugh from that one.

I've almost been nailed by the squid myself now on three separate occasions during play, despite knowing exactly how they work. First was a couple of days ago, where I thought I'd save some time by harvesting some reeds as the sun was coming up, thinking I was perfectly safe given the area around my base was well lit. Kept checking inland to make sure no mobs were sneaking up on me, and of course wound up hearing the inevitable "thwap!" from behind.

Second occurred yesterday when I was boating around during the day. I pushed things a little late, but made it to the shore just as the sun was going down. As I jumped up the slight embankment towards a hidey hole, once again: "thwap!"

And finally within the last hour, a misstep caused me to fall off a bridge during the day, and I was wearing full iron armor. The few seconds it took me to get it off was probably the most panicked I've experienced in MC, as I sank into the gloom.

In each case, I managed to escape, but man, by all rights I could of easily died each time, and just to say: it's even managing to catch and startle me :)
Six

Post by Six »

Since this is a spoiler thread, I'll drop a few more spoilers about my experiences with the new changes. The main noticeable difference I've seen is that during the day the squid seem to swim down to the bottom where it is dark, and then right around sunset they all begin to rise. Which is kind of terrifying. I got pulled in more than a few times, and find they look quite menacing once you see them pointed at you and swimming in your direction.

After experiencing the flinging and love bites first hand, this has also lead me to do something I've never tried in minecraft before; lighting up the water in my base:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:The main noticeable difference I've seen is that during the day the squid seem to swim down to the bottom where it is dark, and then right around sunset they all begin to rise.
Hehe...yup, that was one of the behavioral refinements I made in this last release, and what I was talking about beforehand about making their behavior more evident. If you see them near the surface now, you know they're dangerous, and they tend to rise in sufficient numbers as to make the ocean look rather menacing. That was always part of my plan with regards to the squid, but the existing vanilla code governing how they swim required a rather extensive rework in order to do it right. You may also notice that their movement is MUCH smoother and less derpy than it is in vanilla which is also as a result of the changes I made there.

Now...the main question is: why are they rising? ;)

As for lighting up underwater around your base, yup, that's definitely a thing now. One thing worth noting, is that I've made a change for next release where jack o'lanterns go out under water, so glowstone will be the method of choice of doing that. This doesn't affect lanterns that were previously placed, so the ones pictured above are perfectly safe, but now that underwater lighting has a practical use, I wanted to differentiate the two types so that glowstone has an actual value again. This also goes along well with my recent changes to the nether, given it's now more difficult to harvest.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:Loved the story btw. Had a really good laugh from that one.
Lol yeah me too, once I got over it. They had been coming at me for a bit on that boat and I had just gotten to the point where I thought, "Ok, yeah, the helm works...that's not so bad..." and then I go flying ten feet in the air. Talk about a shock...

Now that I've gotten over the initial paralyzing terror, though, it's getting easier to handle. It's just something new to watch out for. And I've been killing the nasty little things as often as I can, when I can lure them into shallow water...it's much more satisfying to kill them now that they do something else besides sit there and look pretty.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I think this gives another incentive to cover up all unnecessary water or even fill it in completely to remove the chance to be pulled down
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

FlowerChild wrote:Now...the main question is: why are they rising? ;)
This prompted me to go on a sort of squid watching expedition. I now know animals are not as careful around the shorelines as they should be. The scene I witnessed was beautiful in its cruelty and its efficiency. The crowning moment was when I saw the last animals get taken, the sun was rising so they took the animals deeper into the water, and just as dawn came I saw some wool and feathers float to the surface. FC you magnificent bastard.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And the circle of life continues :)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

You'd think that cows and pigs wouldn't be very good swimmers and would want to stay on land, but nooOOOooo... that just HAVE to impress the lady cows and pigs with awesome biceps.. which promptly get dragged underwater by squids.. after 3 years of playing mc, i still think swimming animals are weird :S
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:You'd think that cows and pigs wouldn't be very good swimmers and would want to stay on land, but nooOOOooo... that just HAVE to impress the lady cows and pigs with awesome biceps.. which promptly get dragged underwater by squids.. after 3 years of playing mc, i still think swimming animals are weird :S
Well, they do generally avoid the water unless they got knocked in by something else. If anything, I think this feature helps explain why they really don't like going into it ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I've been thinking, now that we can kind of understand and predict how they move, its going to be easier to make farms, as oposed to when they just randomly swam all over the place......
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

After being away for a while, I decided to come back and have another go at this. Being the fool I am, I decided to scan the change logs and just go with it. This led to a tennis match.

You see, I'm rather fond of small ponds, so I built right next to one. Through the course of my first few hours, I died six times and finally found my pond the last time (spawned literally twenty blocks away staring at it, what luck!). I decided that I should make my way to the nearby beach to gather sand and make glass for my upcoming hemp farm. Stone shovels in hand, I begin digging like a madman when "THWAP!" I'm pulled into the ocean. I kill the squid out of frustration not knowing what was going on and continue working. The sun begins to settle, and I figure it's time to go, so I start waling back to my pond. I'm crossing a bridge made of dirt to make the trip faster when again, "THWAP!" Flying! I land on the shore! "THWAP!" Flying again! Land on my little bridge! This happened no less than five times, maybe more, I lost count laughing my ass off. I finally missed the bridge and got eaten by a swarm of hats.

That was some dirty 30-love action, tentacle-style.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Its like a couple of orca whales playing volleyball with a seal before they eat it. Aww, the beauty of fiction imitating real life.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
waffleminer

Post by waffleminer »

So I was having "fun" playing with the hats today and I remembered this picture I think it fits the hats pretty well.
Spoiler
Show
reference for anyone that doesn't get it http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Carp
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

My first death to the hatsies.. i thought i had them figured out when "thwap"... nope... >.< I was walking along the ice just as the sun set (seven blocks away from the water i counted) and the little buggers grabbed me and drug me under the ice. i killed them but drowned under the ice :/
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

They can break through ice?? O.O Well there goes my plan to live on coastal taiga...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

no, they didn't get through the ice, they got me from the waters edge.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for clearing that up. When I first read that post last night, I had the same question which I left to this morning.

If they could grab you *through* ice, that would be an issue :)
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

yeah, sorry about that, i was a bit tired last night so i probably didnt make sense. they reached from the water to grab me 7 blocks away, promptly dragging me under the ice to my watery grave :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You guys should feel bad. Apparently MCF is beating you to some of the discoveries ;)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... ry24338662
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

I noticed this the other day, a couple hats grabbed a cow and killed it. i promptly planted sugarcane on all my coastlines as it seems that the hats cant get through it :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I remember seeing that kind of hat attack from one of my subscriptions. I think it was Magikeh, but I'm not sure.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
PK_420

Post by PK_420 »

For some reason, I think it has something to do with the ending of this short animation video :

Anyways, Enjoy :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PK_420 wrote:For some reason, I think it has something to do with the ending of this short animation video :
I had never seen it, but ok.