Better than Wolves automation in a new light

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Chomamonka

Better than Wolves automation in a new light

Post by Chomamonka »

I have never been very patient with trying to figure out how to automate my btw contraptions. In theory it really interested me but in practice I always found it kinda tedious and frustrating.

Since the early game changes and increases in difficulty in general I am so friggin excited to start redstoneing it up. I think in the light of spending many a night rationing food and trying to strategize ore collection and farming just to survive, building cool contraptions seems so much less tedious and much more interesting.

Everything in btw has gained so much value that just being able to build with cobble seems like a privilege let alone making redstone circuits and mob traps.

I guess it just seems more necessary and much more worthwhile to get a little clever with your builds.

Man I love this game! Even calling it a total conversion seems inadequate.
Daisjun

Re: Better than Wolves automation in a new light

Post by Daisjun »

I've actually always liked trying to work out builds, it adds a puzzle element to MC that wasn't there before. Now that we've started a new world we have a whole new challenge in trying to minimise on machinery usage. For instance it's no longer viable to make one power source to power your entire village, blaze rods have to be rationed a lot more carefully and it's the first time we've actually considered building in the nether to get our gold reserves up.

And it's just so damn fulfilling making a really complex contraption that makes your life immensly eaiser.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Ya that's the thing, it actually makes our lives easier. Before I never really felt the NEED to spend hours working on machines as the game was already so dang easy. I seems like now building is on a brand new playing field than the first several hours of the early game. Just being able to BUILD is actually a huge reward and I think people will be less likely to ignore it. I got bored of vanilla minecraft because all there was to do was build pointless buildings. Now I would love to have earned that kind of status in my btw world. The only difference is that we get to build huge buildings that also serve a purpose.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Yeah exactly man, after playing BTW I got so disenchancted with vanilla and just about every other mod because although there might be a whole lot of cool items and blocks to play with, the incentive to actually do anything with them just isn't there. I've never been a fan of building stuff purely for aesthetic purposes, it bores the hell out of me and it just feels pointless. There's no sense of progression or actually working towards something which I think a lot of mod builders forget.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, one thing that always appealed to me about BTW was that you got to (and had to) build massive buildings to house all of the machinery. Now that getting each machine and even the buildings themselves are so much of a luxury, I think it emphasizes that aspect even more than before.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the early game changes highlighting the awsomeness of automation even more. I personally suck very much at redstone and stuck with BTW for the possibilities of one day maybe deciding to learn how to make it work. Well BTW got harder, and gave us all a good kick in the pants and proper motivation to automate the crap out of everything :P.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

You know, I always try to make these kind of observations about BTW, but when it comes down to it's just so gosh dang coherent that I could rave about every single aspect of the game, and how it all works together. Instead it sufficeth to say that the whole game is just all kinds of good! And save you all the time of listening to me try to explain all the reasons why :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I do appreciate hearing this kind of stuff man. Helps me to know that I am hitting my design targets and it just isn't all in my imagination :)