The Deco Add-on. (updated 04/25/2019) [4.ABCFAFBFC]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Yhetti

The Deco Add-on. (updated 04/25/2019) [4.ABCFAFBFC]

Post by Yhetti »

This is is an Add-on that aims to add variety and content to Better than Wolves.
This is a remade version of this add-on.

DOWNLOAD HERE ON GITHUB
The addon is separated into modular pieces (which I have conveniently called "addons"), listed below. Some of the addons may affect the balance of the game in minor ways.
You may pick and choose which Addons you want to install by following instructions on GitHub.

Also try my custom "Better than Faithful" texturepack
For me, the texture-pack completes the experience I was going for in this addon.

Hay Bales:
Spoiler
Show
Adds hay bales.
9 Wheat = 1 bale.
1 Bale = 9 wheat.
Flowers:
Spoiler
Show
Yes, I like flowers. This addon has lots of flowers, some from vanilla Minecraft.
It changes bone meal to no longer have a worth while result when applied to grass, instead you must use fertilizer.
Fertilizer is crafted by mixing bone meal and poo in a crafting grid.
On the other hand fertilizer yields more flowers and different kinds of flowers when applied.
Flowers will also grow out of (BTW) planters.
Flowers can be ground up in the millstone to get various different kinds of dye. This includes blue and white dyes.
Lanterns:
Spoiler
Show
+ Paper Walls
+ Wrought Iron Bars
+ Aesthetic Changes to the lightning rod
+ Paper "Firefly" lanterns(with candles instead of fireflies)
+ Golden Chandeliers
+ Hemp Oil
+ Wrought Iron Lanterns

Clay:
Spoiler
Show
This lets you cook a block of clay in the kiln, it can then be dyed any of the 16 colors in a stoked cauldron.
ClayColor:
Spoiler
Show
This lets you use the colors from the Flowers addon with the Clay addon
ClaySubBlocks:
Spoiler
Show
This lets you make sub-blocks from hardened or stained clay
This one is pretty self-explanatory if you've played better than wolves, so I won't post any spoilers.
Glass:
Spoiler
Show
This lets you dye Glass any of the 16 colors in a stoked cauldron. The dye can be removed with soap.
Adds "Chunk of Glass" which is 1/4 block of glass(= 1 pile of sand). My plan is to use these for further decorative glass recipies.
Bottles can be melted down in the crucible, this DOES effect balance, because it allows you to produce glass at swamp mob trap, if you have a problem with this it can be discussed, but so far I don't see anything wrong with it.
The bottle recipe is different:
GlassColor:
Spoiler
Show
This lets you use the colors from the Flowers addon with the Glass addon
Chairs:
Spoiler
Show
Available in all four kinds of wood.
The recipe is four siding and two molding, in a chair shape(yields 4 chairs)
More chairs will likely be coming.
Diamondium:
Spoiler
Show
Two kinds of diamond blocks:
+"Block of Diamond": the same recipe and block except now it actually looks like a crystal.
+"Block of Diamondium": the result of 9 diamond ingots(yes, this is a reference to futurama, and yes, I also changed the name of diamond ingots and diamond tools), it is a bit stronger than diamond.
Diamondium will have the same effect as iron when built into a beacon.
I was upset that I had no use for my diamond ingots after I came home with end stone, so I wanted to be able to use them for aesthetic purposes.
White Stone Craft:
Spoiler
Show
+White Stone Bricks(Made with four white stone in a square)
+Chiseled White Stone(Made with 12 white stone in a circle in the anvil)
+Mossy/Cracked White Stone Bricks that are not accessible right now. If you have suggestions on how I could put these in the game, let me hear em!
+White Stone Brick Siding, Molding, Corners, Tables, Benches, Pedestals, Columns, etc.
Walls:
Spoiler
Show
This changes:
+ Stone Brick Fences
+ Brick Fences
+ White Stone Brick Fences
...to behave more like Cobblestone walls.
I made this addon because I didn't like how brick fences didn't make sense. I mean who actually has seen a fence made of brick? I've seen plenty of walls made of brick tho.
And more coming soon!

Credits:
FlowerChild: For making an awesome game.
Yhetti: Research, code and some textures.
SockThing: Research, code and some textures.
jorgebonafe: Research, code.
dawnraider: Research, code.
Kao's Ideas, and textures were used with written permission.
Sargunster's fruit textures were used with written permission.(From the SV Add-on)
The Minecraft Team: For stuff that was ported into this add-on.

Copyright:
Spoiler
Show
All files involved in this project are properties of the community, they can be modified or redistributed as long as proper accreditation to the original authors are given. Source code can be found on Github.
I would really be excited to have someone work with me on models/textures, also bring any questions or concerns straight to me.
Last edited by Yhetti on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 67 times in total.
Six

Re: Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on [PENDING PERMISSION]

Post by Six »

Wow, incredible work man, this was one of my favorite mods back in the day and I am very happy to see it revived. I see you've got plans for iron lanterns, any chance for the old paper lanterns too? I'm a sucker for classical Japanese styled stuff.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Six wrote:Wow, incredible work man, this was one of my favorite mods back in the day and I am very happy to see it revived. I see you've got plans for iron lanterns, any chance for the old paper lanterns too? I'm a sucker for classical Japanese styled stuff.
I have plans for the FireFly lanterns if that's what you mean. I already have the animated texture too, the only problem is you can't get those without getting fireflies first. I guess I could put those in creative though, which I may be able to do before the end of the day(I'm stuck at home all day doing nothing)

I already have a x32 Paper wall texture and it looks really cool.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I like what you've done with the place. Do your grape vines take advantage of the increased resolution on the hunger bar?
Better is the enemy of Good
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

DaveYanakov wrote:I like what you've done with the place. Do your grape vines take advantage of the increased resolution on the hunger bar?
Uhh, actually I forgot about that, but yeah I was just planning on giving them the same hunger value and everything as Apples.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I grant permission to the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on team to decompile and reverse engineer Better Than Wolves solely for the purposes of developing the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on, and with the understanding that such permission may be revoked at any time.

Just as an aside: you might want to consider the impact on people's worlds, and plan ahead for, what happens when I add the BTW candles as a placeable block. That one has been on my todo list for a very long time now, and I'm bound to get to it eventually. I'm a little iffy on add-ons implementing planned and announced features for BTW ahead of time.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:I grant permission to the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on team to decompile and reverse engineer Better Than Wolves solely for the purposes of developing the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on, and with the understanding that such permission may be revoked at any time.

Just as an aside: you might want to consider the impact on people's worlds, and plan ahead for, what happens when I add the BTW candles as a placeable block. That one has been on my todo list for a very long time now, and I'm bound to get to it eventually. I'm a little iffy on add-ons implementing planned and announced features for BTW ahead of time.
Thank you very much sir. I'll recompile and upload when I get home.
As for the candles, I'll add two way conversion recipes, the candles each take up a block ID, but they are beyond 3000. If you want me to take them down that's fine.
As for lapis, I am not sure what else I could do to make that more flexible for old worlds as I don't want people to make lapis out the wazoo. Now that I think about it though I may be able to use a separate ID for dye and make proper conversion. That could complicate things though.
Once again thank you kindly
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote: As for the candles, I'll add two way conversion recipes, the candles each take up a block ID, but they are beyond 3000. If you want me to take them down that's fine.
No, nothing like that man, as candles are largely decorative and not that big a deal. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that it might cause issues down the road to have duplicate items like that.
As for lapis, I am not sure what else I could do to make that more flexible for old worlds as I don't want people to make lapis out the wazoo. Now that I think about it though I may be able to use a separate ID for dye and make proper conversion. That could complicate things though.
No promises on this one, but I may have some functionality in the release following the next that may simplify that issue significantly, as I'm running into similar problems in planning to make cocoa beans an edible item (since they also function as a dye already). I'd recommend you go the separate item route, and if it's a real pain in the ass, maybe disable the dying functionality for the time being in case I can help you out with it through some base class mods I am considering to make dye items in general less of a hassle to deal with.

If I'm going to go that route (and again...nothing certain yet as I'm still thinking through the details), it will likely be within the next week, so if you aren't in a rush, you might want to just wait on that one.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Nice! I've always wanted an aesthetic add-on. Keep up the good work. I'd really like to see the mobs on the original add-on, like the butterfly, bee, and firefly, and maybe a few more atmospheric mobs like squirrels, bunnies, and fishes. :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

woeuntoyou wrote:Nice! I've always wanted an aesthetic add-on. Keep up the good work. I'd really like to see the mobs on the original add-on, like the butterfly, bee, and firefly, and maybe a few more atmospheric mobs like squirrels, bunnies, and fishes. :)
Yeah I am trying but I have no idea how to do entity's and models in MC. And I cannot find a legitimate modeling program that works.so I am trying to learn.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote: No promises on this one, but I may have some functionality in the release following the next that may simplify that issue significantly, as I'm running into similar problems in planning to make cocoa beans an edible item (since they also function as a dye already). I'd recommend you go the separate item route, and if it's a real pain in the ass, maybe disable the dying functionality for the time being in case I can help you out with it through some base class mods I am considering to make dye items in general less of a hassle to deal with.

If I'm going to go that route (and again...nothing certain yet as I'm still thinking through the details), it will likely be within the next week, so if you aren't in a rush, you might want to just wait on that one.
Sorry I actually didn't see this message at first :P I'll wait to see what you do for that. I kinda want all of the actual dyes to be ACTUAL dyes, so that would be nice to have a whole set of them, with Cocoa, Lapis and what have you, all being separate. Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.
Noooooooo!!!!! Ok, no hooks for you ;)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:
Yhetti wrote:Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.
Noooooooo!!!!! Ok, no hooks for you ;)
Hey, as long as he isn't trying to give them free blue booties, I think it's fine.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

dawnraider wrote: Hey, as long as he isn't trying to give them free blue booties, I think it's fine.
Actually that's a good point, I don't even know the recipe for booties so I should probably go figure that out.......

Edit: So I just realized that whole thing was a troll, and I feel really dumb. So thanks.
DiamondArms

Re: [4.89112] Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on [initial release]

Post by DiamondArms »

Definitely keeping this on my watchlist. Time to go find some suitable Item textures to fit.
Good Luck ironing out the details.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Thank the great old one, this is what I need to get my girlfriend away from warcraft, I'll give it some time for you to iron out the dye things.....I would just go convert my lapis into blocks but I cant remember what section of my 4 layer 800x1200 I had them stored in....
August West

Post by August West »

Awesome work! Thank you for doing this!

Any chance of mead coming back with a later release? Features like that really help a world feel whole. :)

Thank you again!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

August West wrote: Any chance of mead coming back with a later release? Features like that really help a world feel whole. :)
Thank you again!
I know I keep saying "the other add-on I was working on," but in the other add-on I was working on I had a fermentation system with grapes>wine, wheat>beer, honey>mead, corn>corn oil(ethanol), and milk>cheese. So the answer is: its there I just have to see if I can fit it into the game. I also recall adding a feature to where getting villagers drunk would increase their promiscuity.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thanks for making this, I liked the old addon a lot!
I think I will make an addon for derivation if I have time, not yet, but in the future.

Keep up the good work
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Kezza wrote:Thanks for making this, I liked the old addon a lot!
I think I will make an addon for derivation if I have time, not yet, but in the future.

Keep up the good work
That's awesome thanks :)
August West

Post by August West »

Excuse my ignorance, but does this work on servers too or just ssp?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

August West wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but does this work on servers too or just ssp?
Actually that is a good question. When I first made this my server jar was broken and wouldn't work, so this morning I got a new jar and ported it, I came on here to post it, so your answer is: There is a server version, right after I finish typing this.
Kezza

Re: [4.89112] The Deco Add-on

Post by Kezza »

Two bugs I noticed:

the new stained glass has some problems with water (tried it with vanilla textures too):
Spoiler
Show
you cant see the underwater part of the glass ( see the two exambles, the fire under water :D )
the purple something is based on snow?
Spoiler
Show
And a few textures I made already (I like grapes/vine as part in MC) and some I took from the normal vMC Texture Pack (hay bale):
Spoiler
Show
About your future plans.
Spoiler
Show
I like the fermantation part, would like somethink like that in the game, but with BTW-tech involved.
The Corn too.
I saw that cheese block and the first think I thoght it could take a long time to age and look like the cake (the cube size).
You get slizes when you right click it, instead eating. Cheese is a good Idea with BTW, it takes time and recourses, but you are proud to get it after a long time.
I thank you very much to continue this addon :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Okay, so a few things: The stained glass does that because Vanilla Minecraft doesn't allow for two different layers of alphas. Ice does the same thing. Nothing really I can do about it for now.

Yes, the purple blocks are based on snow. (They are really cold so they freeze grass obviously) I will give them a few other special powers later.

Cheese was only included because I already had a class built for the Cheese and Fat blocks(they are the same block ID) and I wanted to add fat blocks. If I were to add fermenting then cheese blocks wouldn't really have anything to do with the fermenting process, they are just storage blocks for cheese slices.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Multiple alpha layers are not really feasible with the MC engine. Hence why colored glass mods are not more abundant, and probably why Mojang has never implemented such blocks themselves.

I played around with that a bit myself at one point, for a possible feature I was experimenting with, and it really is more trouble than it's worth. You also see it with not being able to see water when looking through a nether portal.

So yeah man, I'd advise against such things. It's a huge can of worms.