Wow...witches are lame...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Wow...witches are lame...

Post by FlowerChild »

I think I was trying to ignore them up until now, but I had an idea for something cool to do with them that I just spent the past couple of hours fiddling with.

The thing is, while tweaking the end result...I decided I just can't do it. They're just too lame for me to give them a more prominent role in the game, so I'm ripping out this new bit.

<shakes fist at Dinnerbone>

Man, I really wish I had started ripping out vanilla features sooner. I'd really prefer these not be in the game, but it's a bit late now.
Six

Re: Wow...witches are lame...

Post by Six »

I can honestly say I have never seen a witch in the game.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Six wrote:I can honestly say I have never seen a witch in the game.
Me neither...I've seen a hut! That was enough to convince me they were lame.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Yeah, I've never seen a witch either. The spawning rules are indicative of Mojang's complete disregard for mob traps. I've toyed with the idea of building a farm for them, but it just seems like an unjustifiable amount of work lighting up everything so that you can get decent rates from their tiny spawning area.

They're just so lame. I don't see what they add to the game. But Dinnerbone was so proud of their wiggling noses...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote: They're just so lame. I don't see what they add to the game. But Dinnerbone was so proud of their wiggling noses...
Oddly it was the wiggling noses that I think were the final straw that snapped me to my senses and made me gave up on them.

Don't know if you've ever seen them up close, but I was running various tests on my tweaks in creative, and the wiggle is hela-lame. The nose just kinda drifts around the face like it's floating on a pond. Doesn't even look vaguely like a twitch or anything organic.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

So are you going to go back to redstone for potions, or what?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Azdoine wrote:So are you going to go back to redstone for potions, or what?
No. I didn't say anything even vaguely resembling that.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

FlowerChild wrote: No. I didn't say anything even vaguely resembling that.
My bad, I horribly misread that and thought you were ripping witches out entirely.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Never seen a witch, just a few huts here and there.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Maybe it is good they are rare... Finalizing my witch grinder I had a containment breach and they got me despite a 10 block head start. They really could have been better implemented as a dangerous mini boss if they had more spawning locations/frequency.

I am curious to see if there is now sound to herald their arrival. Always felt odd they dead silent....

Anyways got a grinder to work that I will toss here after I clean it up.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Yeah, I see witches as wasted potential, since they couldve been a dangerous support mob that throws splash potions at nearby monsters to increase their power, speed, health, or whatnot, while crippling the player. Instead we got a mob so rare that even most swamps don't have their tiny spawning pad, and they're easy to avoid in the first place because they're only in their hut. <.< But noooo, Dinnerbone thinks potion effects belong to spiders! At random! Because why not?
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Yeah, I don't really have much love for them either. Unfortunately I have to hunt them down for potions... so...
I'll eventually make a trap or something.
Six

Post by Six »

Psion wrote:Yeah, I see witches as wasted potential, since they couldve been a dangerous support mob that throws splash potions at nearby monsters to increase their power, speed, health, or whatnot, while crippling the player. Instead we got a mob so rare that even most swamps don't have their tiny spawning pad, and they're easy to avoid in the first place because they're only in their hut. <.< But noooo, Dinnerbone thinks potion effects belong to spiders! At random! Because why not?
Haha, oh man. Having them target mobs nearby and throwing invisibility potions on them! Of course, they would also need the ability to throw things to spawn in monsters too, as I never even see them by themselves let alone with anything else. They really are a wasted potential.
Last edited by Six on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:They really are a wasted potential.
Not really. Take a close look at them for awhile, and I think you'll be happy they're so rare.

They just don't fit the game. Not quite as bad as horses, but close.