Next Doctor announced!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sinornithosaurus

Next Doctor announced!

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Next Doctor announced!

Post by FlowerChild »

What happened to John Hurt? I was really looking forward to that :\
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

My understanding of it was that John Hurt was the doctor during the Time War (between 8 and 9).

As for the casting of 12 - eh. Seems like a good fit, but I was holding out hope for someone more interesting. Maybe next time!
Sinornithosaurus

FlowerChild wrote:What happened to John Hurt? I was really looking forward to that :\
Spoiler
Show
I think that John Hurt's Doctor was supposed to be a previous regeneration. He is still slated to appear in the Anniversary special
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:What happened to John Hurt? I was really looking forward to that :\
He will be there, just not as might be expected. I won't say more as spoilers etc
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fair enough. This announcement had me scrambling to the net to check if John Hurt had died or something :)

Kinda sad that he isn't going to be the lead, as I would have loved a darker season, but glad to hear he's still in it.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Think this guy will prob be better than Hurt.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

They had better options if they had managed to scrounge up the intestinal fortitude to go with them. He's not a bad casting, just... eeh...
Better is the enemy of Good
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

I don't have much of a problem seeing him as the Doctor, which I think is a bit of a problem. He's another thin, tall, white man. I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than that. I'll be happy if he does a good job though; I'm not at all familiar with him.
Kind of interesting that he's tied for oldest actor to play the Doctor though (albeit he looks way younger than Hartnell).

I love how he's credited as W.H.O. Doctor in World War Z.
IGN: Strucon
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I was kind of disappointed to realize that John Hurt wasn't going to be #12. I'd rather see another Eccleston-style Doctor than another Smith or Tennant, honestly. It's hard to tell based on Capaldi's history what kind of Doctor he'll play - his role in "Children of Earth" for Torchwood was fairly serious, but his role in "Fires of Pompeii" (Doctor Who) was much less so.

And regarding EmptyNight's comment about a thin, tall, white man: I suppose that's just how the role developed. While there's been indications that there's nothing requiring a Time Lord to regenerate into the same kind of body (The Corsair changing sex, River changing skin color*), the Doctor has always had the form of a thin, tall, white man.

*Okay, she wasn't technically a Time Lord, but she still could regenerate
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Fun fact; He was a billed as a W.H.O. Doctor in World War Z.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I'm looking forward to seeing an older Doctor appear, though I will admit I was also looking forward to seeing John Hurt since I liked him from Merlin where he voiced the dragon. It really does seem like the UK has about 20 actors they reuse for every show.
IGN: Camerinthus
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I was really hoping for Chiwetel Ejiofor. I could see him doing a tremendous job of it.

I'm sure it's still going to be a great series and I look forward to it eagerly. Just kind of a background disappointment.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Camerinthus wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing an older Doctor appear, though I will admit I was also looking forward to seeing John Hurt since I liked him from Merlin where he voiced the dragon. It really does seem like the UK has about 20 actors they reuse for every show.
Every time I see John Hurt, I'm reminded of him in 1984, which aside from the very last line of the film, was an absolutely excellent adaptation of the novel.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

After 11 I look forward to this, Matt was ok but shortly before Amy left.....he got bizarre and too dark to what I was used to, Tenant started with a little dark so when things went that way for awhile it was fine.....11....not so much...
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

I understood John Hurt to be playing a distant future version of the doctor as the great intelligence says he will have different names before the end and Matt Smith says that what Hurt did/does/will do (Getting rather Bioshocky) is not under the name of the Doctor. Although that could be equally taken as disowning his previous actions, I suppose.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

He has had incarnations that are not the Doctor. It's not neccesarily a future one.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

DaveYanakov wrote:He has had incarnations that are not the Doctor. It's not neccesarily a future one.
No but that is what the episode seemed to suggest to me. "He will have other names before the end. The Beast, the Storm, Valeyard" or something like that.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DreamsofFury wrote:After 11 I look forward to this, Matt was ok but shortly before Amy left.....he got bizarre and too dark to what I was used to, Tenant started with a little dark so when things went that way for awhile it was fine.....11....not so much...
That's actually one of the reasons Tennant was my favorite; He was definitely a lot darker than Smith and Eccleston. Water on Mars, when he goes powermad ranting about he was the "winner" and he basically owned time was one of my favorite moments of the reboot
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Saying that Matt Smith was a bad Doctor is like saying Timothy Dalton was not the best James Bond.
Sinornithosaurus

DaveYanakov wrote:Saying that Matt Smith was a bad Doctor is like saying Timothy Dalton was not the best James Bond.
What do you mean?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sinornithosaurus wrote: What do you mean?
He's saying it's obvious.

I personally liked Matt Smith. I've found that some of the most emotional moments in the series occurred with him as the Doctor, so he must have been doing something right.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Sinornithosaurus wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Saying that Matt Smith was a bad Doctor is like saying Timothy Dalton was not the best James Bond.
What do you mean?
That Matt Smith did an amazing job in his role as the Doctor. That's really all there is to it.
EDIT: Ninja'd
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Actually I was saying that Tim Dalton is in fact the best Bond. It took me a couple episodes to really warm up to Smith's gigantic face but he really nailed it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I like all Doctors. They all bring something to the table. I really love Eccleston for example, because he was atypical. The only thing I didn't like about Smith is that he stayed a little too close to Tennant at times, but the last season I can't even complain about that.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx