Can we please not turn add-on development into an issue?

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Can we please not turn add-on development into an issue?

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, unfortunately add-on development seems to be becoming a problem, and if at all possible, I want to nip that in the bud.

I'd like to remind people of something: BTW is a mod (/total conversion). It is not a mod development platform. It is not an API. I am not an API developer, nor do I want to be one. I am a game designer, a guy who likes to make content, and a guy that provides that to people free of charge.

I thought it was cool that people wanted to add little things into the mod to tailor their gameplay experience, so I decided to lend a hand with that and provide the simplest of tools where possible to facilitate that.

I get the impression though, that some have misinterpreted that as BTW being some kind of mod development platform, and beyond there being something slightly off about that to begin with IMO, it's starting to become an issue.

I get PMs on MCF from people wanting me to integrate their hook code straight into the mod. I show up in IRC last night to find out someone is bitching about the mod's copyright when it comes to restricting them in distribution of the source code for their add-on.

This is not cool, and is really not what I signed up for in providing fans of the mod that want to take things a bit further with some hooks to help them in making their add-ons. I really do not need the extra hassles involved with dealing with this kind of thing.

So, I'd like to ask members of the community, especially existing add-on authors, if we could please not turn this into "a thing". I'd frankly appreciate it if the BTW specific add-on channel were shut down so that it not be taken as some kind of open invitation for people to make add-ons. I get the feeling that may have been the crucial step in this turning from just a nice little bonus for people that wanted to do this kind of thing, into people viewing it as some kind of "thing to do".

I'd like to be able to continue supporting fans of the mod that want to take things up a notch and add a few extra things in. I really would, and I think the efforts I've made along the way to help people out, despite me hating to focus on anything other than pure gameplay, bear testament to that. However, if this continues to become more and more of an issue, and continues to distract me from my work on the actual mod, I will ultimately shut down the ability to make add-ons for the mod entirely for the sake of my own peace of mind.

So please guys: keep it cool. Work on your add-on if that's what you enjoy. Ask me for hooks if you need them, but in terms of there being some kind of "BTW Add-On Developer Community" can we please just shut that shit down? If someone really wants to make an add-on, and they know what they're doing to begin with, they can figure it out for themselves. That's largely the principle these things operated on in the past, and it went on for a very long time without these problems cropping up.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Can we please not turn add-on development into an issue?

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to underline the point I'm making here:

https://twitter.com/Grom_PE

Seriously guys, this has gotten out of hand.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

FC, I have a suggestion, In place of your FCAddon code, use Java Simple Plugin Framework.

I have been hesitant make any suggestions. Because, I know you are focused on finishing up BTW, and because this would add an external dependency.

Here is a link to the quickstart's source code.

I have tested JSPF, loading a very simple mod. Even had it load from an external jar. Works fine..
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Fc, close your eyes, spin around twice, and swing your righteous hammer at the above post like a pinata.

Edit: Why are we posting suggestions to promote a situation FC wants to stop? Just silly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, making a suggestion in this thread was just full of win.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Apologies if i caused any dramas in IRC over the restrictions set by the license, only meant for it to be a subtle 'Grrrrr :)' like thing when i brought it up, but if you took it as whining, my apologies. My patch system is all done and dusted now though, so i likely won't be mentioning it again anyways.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adubbz wrote:Apologies if i caused any dramas in IRC over the restrictions set by the license, only meant for it to be a subtle 'Grrrrr :)' like thing when i brought it up, but if you took it as whining, my apologies. My patch system is all done and dusted now though, so i likely won't be mentioning it again anyways.
Oh no man, I wasn't referring to you at all with any of this. I took your comments as good natured and did not take any offense whatsoever at them.

I appreciate the concern, but no, don't sweat it :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

You may or may not know, but I started working on an Add-on a while ago, but I never finished it. I think I may just stop trying to make it into a "Tweak" tech tree involving add-on into just a simple aesthetic add on. Would that be better?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, obviously add-on development has become an issue, so I guess this thread no longer serves a purpose and can be de-stickied :)