Stuff that never felt right.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
warmist

Re: Stuff that never felt right.

Post by warmist »

abzu93 wrote:Blocks that float. Yep, I said it. Blocks that float. It annoys me that blocks without anchors to land can just hover in the air, but pumpkins and sand, can't. I don't mind at all if they are stuck to other blocks which aren't floating.

I imagine that it would be a pain in the ass to write in checks for breaks with the landscape, and what effect it would have on every other block attached to the de-anchored block. But yeah, bugs me.

I can overlook weight, but gravity, I have a hard time seeing past. Weird, huh?
Yeah Dwarf fortress does not allow floating blocks. But that has a drawback - each time something gets disconnected the game stops for a second or two. And then cave in (with nice massive casualties) happens.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote: This is a discussion about things that personally irks people about MC. Floating blocks isn't an issue with me playing MC or I wouldn't have played it for this long.
The thing is man, when something irks you that is inherently unrealistic in its expectations, you have to consider whether that is an issue with the thing that bothers you, or your own perceptions.

As per my Drew Barrymore example, you could come up with random stuff that is not perfect about MC all day, but if you're just pulling random stuff out of your ass, what's the point?

Panda's OP on the other hand actually contained things that are reasonable to correct, but somehow this got sidelined into "if we lived in an ideal world far removed from our own, what would I like to be different?"
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

FlowerChild wrote: but somehow this got sidelined into "if we lived in an ideal world far removed from our own, what would I like to be different?"
Well man, that's how I interpreted Panda's post. It wasn't my intention to be a shit-stirrer.
The thing is man, when something irks you that is inherently unrealistic in its expectations, you have to consider whether that is an issue with the thing that bothers you, or your own perceptions.
I get that, deeply. That's the difference between opinions about reality and measurable reality. I registered by reading the OP that opinions were being garnered for just an interesting shooting of the shit. I misread -- and now if you'll excuse me I have a bowl of crow waiting on me.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Apples growing on oak trees.

Until BTW removed it, I had renamed oak trees in my head to stop myself from WTFing constantly.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Do people not dig holes for shelter their first few nights?

Wrong topic, sorry.
Last edited by ScubaPlays on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Enderchests and obsidian beacons. They discourage building supplylines bigtime.
tedium

Post by tedium »

it always bothered me that you didn't respawn after death in the nether. i'm pretty sure the nether is still made up of biomes with the title 'hell.' but i guess mojang has never really developed the nether. i mean the fortresses are ok, and the enemies are bad ass... but there's no purpose to it. or am i wrong? am i too disconnected from vanilla? is there any purpose to the nether? that feels like a stupid question... regardless, i kind of always expected to get trapped there, and while that's happened to me many times, it's never been by design, and has always resulted in me having the hack my way out. i'd say the lack of proper development of the nether has bothered me the most, but overall what's really always bothered me is the lack of even a basic and simplistic folklore to the game, like what btw kind of provides. vanilla folklore goes about as deep as herobrine. vanilla minecraft still might as well be a 2 year olds colored blocks, mixed in with some plastic farm animals and some random op-shop action figures, and the nether is a batch of blocks that got the wrong paint job, but they had to sell it, so they called it a special set of blocks.

sorry...
/end rant
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Fret wrote:Enderchests and obsidian beacons. They discourage building supplylines bigtime.
But... it IS a supply line. And they can't be considered "cheap", can they ?
Oh, and the beacon only TP the ressources, not you. So you still have to build a travel line.

I'm sorry that I can't seem able to get your point...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Because there is no bilding involved. Yes they are sort of expansive, but it's just going up the tech tree. They teleport stuff! How is that not op? On the server I play all trade is done with obsidian beacons, so there are no limitations. Two players that are 10000 blocks away from eachother can trade just as easy as neighbours. Railways are only designed to transport players, not chestcarts. I believe that without the enderchests players would cooperate in building traderoutes/hubs, something they aren't doing now. Without them infrastructure would be more valuable and people that choose to live near other people and cooperate instead of going into the wild would be rewarded. That's why I don't get them.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: No, you got it wrong way around - it's theoretically finite but practically infinite. Minecraft world has limited size (and boundaries) but they are so huge it's pretty much impossible to reach them without cheating, see [link]
I thought that it did generate infinitely, but past a certain point, it generated in fucked up layers, and if you ventured beyond there, the game got slower and buggier, and eventually crashed. I know I've seen a video somewhere...
EDIT: Yup, here:

At about 5:30 you can see the world gen changes.
He does mention that the world stops spawning past a certain point (2,147,483,647)
Last edited by BinoAl on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

OK, but you still have to build roads for players, right ? So even though you will not specificly build trade roads, roads will still be built. With booster rails, don't tell me that using carts with players or chestcarts makes a difference. I don't see anything a trade road would need that wouldn't be for a player road.

So past the step of building it, travelling with the items would be a huge pain in the behind more than anything.

Aldo, don't forger that this is really late game stuff...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Sir C

Post by Sir C »

Ocean biomes or oceans have never felt right to me. Just huge areas of nothingness that serve no purpose at all, and every time I build a portal from the Nether to get back into the Overworld I always end up deep underground beneath an endless ocean.

They also make transporting villagers/animals tedious and boring. If it where over large stretches of land it would take longer, but you would at least have to consider the threat of mobs, making the task less monotonous and more of an expedition.

Oceans are far too safe and have nothing of worth. The only thing I like about oceans is coast lines, but that doesn't mean we have to have humongous, near endless swaths of water.

Another thing that irks me slightly is manufactured wooden items giving you oak planks back regardless of the materials used in its construction, like vanilla boats and BTW gear boxes.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

BinoAl wrote:
Now that you've showed me that, biomes. That looked so much more natural, and more importantly, interesting than current world gen.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Gormador wrote:OK, but you still have to build roads for players, right ? So even though you will not specificly build trade roads, roads will still be built. With booster rails, don't tell me that using carts with players or chestcarts makes a difference. I don't see anything a trade road would need that wouldn't be for a player road.

So past the step of building it, travelling with the items would be a huge pain in the behind more than anything.

Aldo, don't forger that this is really late game stuff...
Yes you could use the ''existing'' roads, but you probavly want to expandit a bit redstonewise and trackwise for precise delivery. Presenting more interesting gameplay than teleporting stuff. Besides does every enderchest on your smp world a railconect fit for itemtransport? I doubt it. All the already existing technology (rails) is put into one block/beacon. When I think smp, I think trade and my first thought was chestcarts. But no, we get amazon express delivery with enderchests. That is what doesn't feel right about it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:Yes you could use the ''existing'' roads, but you probavly want to expandit a bit redstonewise and trackwise for precise delivery. Presenting more interesting gameplay than teleporting stuff. Besides does every enderchest on your smp world a railconect fit for itemtransport? I doubt it. All the already existing technology (rails) is put into one block/beacon. When I think smp, I think trade and my first thought was chestcarts. But no, we get amazon express delivery with enderchests. That is what doesn't feel right about it.
Dude...you do realize that chest cart delivery doesn't work right? The carts stop as soon as they run into unloaded chunks, making what you're talking about impossible in MC to begin with. Thus, what you seem to be lamenting about is that all chunks are not loaded at all times, which is back to distinctly unrealistic territory.

What I've done is boost enderchests so that creating a network of them requires much more of an effort, and makes you rather vulnerable in PvP because it also broadcasts your location, instead of their rather trivial creation and use in vanilla.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

edit:ninja'd by the man.
Can a chest cart even do the work? I mean: What happens when the distance really is 10k Meter, and there are a couple of unloaded chunks? The chest cart won't move, or does it?

So the players would need to create market places, or send a guards with the package (to load the chunks).
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

Is anyone else bothered by steve's ability to swim UP waterfalls?!

That one was always an imersion breaker for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:Is anyone else bothered by steve's ability to swim UP waterfalls?!
Yes :)
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gabecraft1234 wrote:Is anyone else bothered by steve's ability to swim UP waterfalls?!
Yes :)
oh for the love of god, no. XD ah well better break that habit now.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ryoloth wrote:oh for the love of god, no. XD ah well better break that habit now.
Relax. It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it yet (or maybe even ever), but it's definitely something that bothers me. Given I'm trying very very hard to finalize BTW right now, something has to bother me rather significantly to decide to undertake it as a task.

I think I remember talking about that at some point in the past and backing off due to complaints, but my exoskeleton was much less spiky back then ;)
Fret

Post by Fret »

That one was always an imersion breaker for me.
Yes, so much. Nice to be not alone on this one :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BinoAl wrote:I thought that it did generate infinitely, but past a certain point, it generated in fucked up layers, and if you ventured beyond there, the game got slower and buggier, and eventually crashed. I know I've seen a video somewhere...
Your info is way outdated man. Far lands exist only in beta generation I think. AFAIK, the current generation method is truly infinite, though the coordinate system is probably still bound to some high number, so you'll probably get arithmetic overflow at some point.

EDIT: yup, beta 1.8 removed the Far Lands:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Far_Lands
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Fret

Post by Fret »

FlowerChild wrote:
Fret wrote:Yes you could use the ''existing'' roads, but you probavly want to expandit a bit redstonewise and trackwise for precise delivery. Presenting more interesting gameplay than teleporting stuff. Besides does every enderchest on your smp world a railconect fit for itemtransport? I doubt it. All the already existing technology (rails) is put into one block/beacon. When I think smp, I think trade and my first thought was chestcarts. But no, we get amazon express delivery with enderchests. That is what doesn't feel right about it.
Dude...you do realize that chest cart delivery doesn't work right? The carts stop as soon as they run into unloaded chunks, making what you're talking about impossible in MC to begin with. Thus, what you seem to be lamenting about is that all chunks are not loaded at all times, which is back to distinctly unrealistic territory.

What I've done is boost enderchests so that creating a network of them requires much more of an effort, and makes you rather vulnerable in PvP because it also broadcasts your location, instead of their rather trivial creation and use in vanilla.
(I'm sure I answered this before, but don't see it so something must have gone wrong with posting.)
Yes, I fully realise that for chest carts the player needs to be traveling with the cargo. So only when the cargo exceeds the inventory we can speak of chestcarts. However this happens to me, just today I ordered 2 chests of pork. Most people I play with love the convinience of staying in their base, guess I'm not one of them. I like how distance gets into play.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

One thing that has been bothering me since the official release is the lack of sand and gravel ceilings in caves. Nowadays all that stuff falls immediately after it generates, which isn't nearly as fun as triggering it yourself.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

I think something that has never felt right since i started really using vine traps for more than mob farms, is spiders. they fall through them yet they should be able to climb on the vines as they do webs. it blew my mind when i was cowering in fear that 2 spiders had me cornered from across my vine trap/trapdoor bridge and the only thing i had with me at the moment was my almost broken stone axe, yet as they came to kill me, they vanished. it was definitely a WTF moment for me and has irked me ever since.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016