Stuff that never felt right.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

Stuff that never felt right.

Post by Panda »

Just wondering what little things in minecraft never or still dont feel right to you?

For me personally its 2 things:

Fristly who the hell harvest wheat by punching it? Potatos carrot and mellons by hand i get, but wheat not being cut to harvest bugs me.

Melon stalks, for the record that is one tiny ass stalk, when they were first annonced i thought that they would grown 5~6 blocks from the source and take over and kill other plants, but instead we have a tiny limp dick looking stalk.

What are some things u guys think?
Never say no to Panda.
Kezza

Re: Stuff that never felt right.

Post by Kezza »

Trees not affected by gravity. I whished that would have been made more realistic, like falling in one random direction, destroieng everthing in their way, but you cut it completly without making earthpiles ;)

But its ok like it is, I am used to it and know which tress to cut and which not. I burn them! :D
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

The gravity thing for me, im waiting for the cave ins that will never happen.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Kezza wrote:Trees not affected by gravity. I whished that would have been made more realistic, like falling in one random direction, destroieng everthing in their way, but you cut it completly without making earthpiles ;)
I'm with you, wish we had realistic falling trees.. But then, FC would have added something to push those trees down on top of us.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Check my sig :)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Husbag3 wrote:Check my sig :)
first Minecraft is not infinite, it is finite it just a very long distance. Second There is no such thing as a sun rotating around a planet, the planet rotates around the sun!

sorry just had to do that :P
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

kregoth wrote:first Minecraft is not infinite, it is finite it just a very long distance. Second There is no such thing as a sun rotating around a planet, the planet rotates around the sun!

sorry just had to do that :P
Well it's theoretically infinite. I shall never admit defeat!
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I still and probably always will HATE floating trees and punching wood.

The other thing that's never felt right are the aim-bot sniper skeletons.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Trees that spawn floating off in midair or are just left like that from some lazy bones/creeper bug the crap out of me.

Ocelots having babies in the wild, but no other species does. And for a jungle big cat, I'm never scared of them like I feel I should be. First time I saw one I was cautious and slowly approaching it, sword drawn.....and it ran away. The upside at least if they make a satisfying "MEWL" noise when smacked.

I agree on the wheat and melons things. Coming from that, vanilla Steve's inability to realize he could slice his bread in half and make a sandwich baffles me.

To finish off...why do squid suicide at the surface of any ocean biome?
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

The anti-gravity islands are (for me) as iconic as the creeper or diamond sword, its one of those that makes minecraft 'minecraft' and the game wouldn't feel right without it.

Something that constantly bugged me until I forced myself to stop looking (might be changed now), is that torches placed on a wall have been stretched instead of rotated (not too bad with vanilla textures, but it really shows up with the fancier designs)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Illogical biome transitions are another one for me. Where in the world would you find a desert next to a snow covered taiga forest?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Husbag3 wrote:Where in the world would you find a desert next to a snow covered taiga forest?
Peru & Mongolia
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Shengji wrote:Peru & Mongolia
Everyone is out to get me in this thread :(
I'll just stay quiet.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Hehe, to be fair, in Mongolia, there is literally a mile where the two border each other and the conifers in Peru don't look anything like the pine/spruce type trees in minecraft, they look a lot more like stumpy cedar of lebanons.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

A piece of Trivia: At one point of development Notch actually considered making all objects fall and only those attached to a certain number of blocks from a obsidium block float. We would have a whole different game if that happend.

Why are villagers too dumb to settle in forests and snowy biomes, but can somehow survive in the middle of the desert. Human civilizations have trived in cold and snow for a long time, but desert people have been nomadic at core, the only one that worked settle near a big ass river.

Also Zombie pigman... wtf is up with those?
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

For me, porcine undead with Gold swords and monster spawners.

Where the heck do they get the gold for swords and nuggets, considering the nether has no gold in it?

Monster spawners have kinda felt off, considering the monsters just poof out of nowhere. A portal might have made sense, if you thought of a place where mobs pour out from another space, but spawners just go whirr-whirr-poof.

As for wheat punching, I've always thought of it more as wheat pulling rather than punching. if it felt off, how would one intend to correct it? With additional functionality for hoes/axes/swords/shears/new tool/other existing implement?
Crop harvesting doesn't seem like something that really requires a tool, just that it would be more convenient to do so.

Waffle mentioned villages, and I think I agree with him. Villages actually seem quite natural in Taiga and forest biomes. I used the More Village Biomes Mod before BTW had most of the HC changes. Villages in any reasonably flat terrain(ignoring trees and sand) seems rather fitting. I feel taiga villages have that really nice look to them, that says all it needs is lit fireplaces. Structure Generation code is still way funky though.

I actually really like floating islands, as they have that mystical feel to them. It may not be the most natural, but neither are creepers and whacking diamonds together to make solid tools(which FC did fix).
Rob

Post by Rob »

DiamondArms wrote: As for wheat punching, I've always thought of it more as wheat pulling rather than punching. if it felt off, how would one intend to correct it? With additional functionality for hoes/axes/swords/shears/new tool/other existing implement?
Crop harvesting doesn't seem like something that really requires a tool, just that it would be more convenient to do so.
Panda has just always wanted a scythe in game. S/He just likes to remind the community every other blue moon about it. ;-). (Love ya Panda!)
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Rob wrote: Panda has just always wanted a scythe in game. S/He just likes to remind the community every other blue moon about it. ;-). (Love ya Panda!)
Suggestion: retexture your battleaxe into a scythe. unless you tend to cut wood using one, I'm pretty sure it has the same functionality(lopping heads and hurting stuff in general). oh wait. so do chainsaws. Battleaxes can be chainsaws. Ideas be had.

Does harvesting wheat with a tool in hand reduce the durability?
Rob

Post by Rob »

DiamondArms wrote:Does harvesting wheat with a tool in hand reduce the durability?
Nope.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Husbag3 wrote:Well it's theoretically infinite. I shall never admit defeat!
No, you got it wrong way around - it's theoretically finite but practically infinite. Minecraft world has limited size (and boundaries) but they are so huge it's pretty much impossible to reach them without cheating, see [link]
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Blocks that float. Yep, I said it. Blocks that float. It annoys me that blocks without anchors to land can just hover in the air, but pumpkins and sand, can't. I don't mind at all if they are stuck to other blocks which aren't floating.

I imagine that it would be a pain in the ass to write in checks for breaks with the landscape, and what effect it would have on every other block attached to the de-anchored block. But yeah, bugs me.

I can overlook weight, but gravity, I have a hard time seeing past. Weird, huh?
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm beginning to suspect this entire thread should be encased in concrete so that future generations can crack it open and marvel that the species managed to survive despite it.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm beginning to suspect this entire thread should be encased in concrete so that future generations can crack it open and marvel that the species managed to survive despite it.

Sooo... lock and sticky ?

Seriously guys, if even here floating blocks become an issue, it's like everything that FC stands for game design-wise has never even begun to approach you with an intent to make contact. Or at least, that's what I feel when reading the thread...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: Sooo... lock and sticky ?
Hehe...no. It's off-topic so feel free. I've just been avoiding this thread as much as possible due to the massive face-palm factor for me here :)

I'd love for Drew Barrymore to suddenly pop out of the screen as a result of the code I have written, but something tells me that's not a realistic expectation, and thus not something I'd ever bother complaining about not happening.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Gormador wrote:Seriously guys, if even here floating blocks become an issue, it's like everything that FC stands for game design-wise has never even begun to approach you with an intent to make contact. Or at least, that's what I feel when reading the thread...
This is a discussion about things that personally irks people about MC. Floating blocks isn't an issue with me playing MC or I wouldn't have played it for this long.

I'm not asking for the game to be changed, and I haven't fully considered how it might break the game if that mechanic even changes. It's not that important. It's just a pet-peeve of mine. "Thanks for sharing, Self; I'll make a note of it." "You're welcome, Asshole." Let's talk about something else, ffs.

Black Sabbath is playing out with Ozzy again.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show