How to make torchs?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
infinity46

How to make torchs?

Post by infinity46 »

In need of them very badly help is appreciated, also, how to make charcoal?
DaveYanakov

Re: How to make torchs?

Post by DaveYanakov »

The usual method of popping a lump of coal on the end of a sticks still works. Are you saying that before BTW you never needed to make torches before?

Charcoal requires advancement up the tech tree to the point where you can bake logs in a kiln.
Better is the enemy of Good
August West

Post by August West »

infinity46 wrote:In need of them very badly help is appreciated, also, how to make charcoal?
This really made me laugh for some reason.
infinity46

Post by infinity46 »

How do I get coal? I cant go into caves because they are pitch black.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Anyone else getting a headache? Fear not, as I am always here with the cure...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And since it's been awhile since I busted this one out:

I really feel that skit should be mandatory viewing for kids in grade-school. Complete with A Clockwork Orange style eye-clamps...

infinity47

Post by infinity47 »

First of all I want to thank you Flowerchild for making this wonderful mod that I am having a blast with. I read rule #1 but I don't feel as if I am being an idiot. I checked the forums, the wiki and googled it and I couldn't figure out my question. So I ask again, how would I acquire coal if I cannot enter caves? (I play MC a lot and I knew how to make torchs just not BTW torches, I just didn't know how to acquire the coal.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

infinity47 wrote:First of all I want to thank you Flowerchild for making this wonderful mod that I am having a blast with. I read rule #1 but I don't feel as if I am being an idiot. I checked the forums, the wiki and googled it and I couldn't figure out my question. So I ask again, how would I acquire coal if I cannot enter caves? (I play MC a lot and I knew how to make torchs just not BTW torches, I just didn't know how to acquire the coal.
By thinking dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry...by thinking dear Henry, dear Henry, my dear.

Or, you could just go play another mod. Either way.
spike98745

Post by spike98745 »

Just a question flowerchild what'd this guy do to be banned?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

spike98745 wrote:Just a question flowerchild what'd this guy do to be banned?
This video sums it up:

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Does anyone else find it funny that he asks about finding coal and making torches when neither of those things have changed at all from vanilla? The only relevant question was his tiny side-note of how to make charcoal...
Fret

Post by Fret »

I love this forum
Iakovosian

Post by Iakovosian »

Furnaces have become even more valuable in helping me explore a cave if I don't yet have enough torches. It does feel kinda exploity though so I've only actually used it the first time after I had the idea.
"It's like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Iakovosian wrote:Furnaces have become even more valuable in helping me explore a cave if I don't yet have enough torches. It does feel kinda exploity though so I've only actually used it the first time after I had the idea.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Does anyone else find it funny that he asks about finding coal and making torches when neither of those things have changed at all from vanilla? The only relevant question was his tiny side-note of how to make charcoal...
Never rule out the possibility of trolling when something seems too Rule #1 to be true.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Perhaps this is why Mojang added charcoal. Until now I never could understand that addition.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Perhaps this is why Mojang added charcoal. Until now I never could understand that addition.
Because people kept asking them to make the trivially easy even easier under the guise of "realism"?
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

It takes so many resources to make a furnace early game and they take so long to move that it is not really practical for caving . . . finding surface coal would be faster.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:It takes so many resources to make a furnace early game and they take so long to move that it is not really practical for caving . . . finding surface coal would be faster.
Wait, are you talking about some theoretical direction the MC design was heading in, or what the game actually is? Because I really don't see the above in what the game currently is.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mr_Hosed wrote:Perhaps this is why Mojang added charcoal. Until now I never could understand that addition.
Because people kept asking them to make the trivially easy even easier under the guise of "realism"?
That too, but more because people are dumb and got stuck on the bucket with a hole conundrum only this time it was need coal to dig in the dark, but the coal is in the dark... nevermind that with a little exploration you can find coal on the surface...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gabecraft1234 wrote:It takes so many resources to make a furnace early game and they take so long to move that it is not really practical for caving . . . finding surface coal would be faster.
Wait, are you talking about some theoretical direction the MC design was heading in, or what the game actually is? Because I really don't see the above in what the game currently is.
It appears that he was referring more to your game than the ruleset Mojang provides.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote: It appears that he was referring more to your game than the ruleset Mojang provides.
Ok...but wait, the original statement referred to it being the reason why Mojang included the charcoal, so what does that have to do with the design of the mod?

<runs off to find Sesame Street skit that covers this situation>

EDIT: Nm, figured it out. Unrelated statements that I misunderstood to be from the same person. Got it :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT: Nm, figured it out. Unrelated statements that I misunderstood to be from the same person. Got it :)
I refuse to live in a world where there is no Sesame Street skit to cover that...