Jesar's BTW Videos

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Jesar

Jesar's BTW Videos

Post by Jesar »

Featured Episode:

Better Than Wolves Series: Jesar's BTW Video Log of Sorts (discontinued series ) Entry list:
Spoiler
Show
Criticism is welcome. :P
Last edited by Jesar on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Blazara

Re: Jesar's BTW Video Log of Sorts

Post by Blazara »

Might want to un-private the video buddy ;P.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Blazara wrote:Might want to un-private the video buddy ;P.
Sorry about that, I thought I changed it already.

EDIT: I'm uploading part 2 now, and it says that the privacy settings are "Public" by default, so I'm curious to see if it starts out as private again.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Nice video, I liked it a lot. From your OT thread, I thought you were kind of a reckless player, but you demonstrate you keep your head cool most of the time and have some great insights on how to play MC and the mod. I consider myself a fairly advanced player regarding the mod's early game, but I think I learned a thing or two by watching your first video (the "leave one mushroom" tactic comes to mind).

A few tips/suggestions on gameplay:
-The first on is kinda personal, but I like to go nomad during the first few days. Instead of settling down on the first hole I dig on the ground, I think it's better to travel around collecting food and wood during the day while mentally mapping the landscape and camping at night inside natural caves digging for cobble, coal and iron. The key is to only collect what you can carry. When you find a good spot to start working up the tech tree, possibly close to a ravine or a mine shaft, that's where I'd recommend you to settle down and build your first chest.
-As I mentioned, avoid crafting chests. They make you feel "tied" to a spot that sometimes isn't all that great. Learn to evaluate the stuff you carry and throw away anything that's useless for you at the moment or during the near future. I often find myself picking up by accident things like flowers, ink sacs, lily pads, gravel/sand piles and whatever else you can think of. You probably won't use more than a stack of Rotten Flesh during the early game, too, so if you happen to have like 20 (one full stack of 16 plus 4), throw it away. Also, do things like crafting any leftover sticks (or shafts, I guess) into torches if you're in dire need of inventory space. You'll end up freeing space without losing resources.
-During my latest playthrough, I've found out that having a couple of chickens in your base is extremely helpful if you happen to come across pumpkins during the exploration part of the early game. Each pumpkin gives you 4 raw eggs (minus the ones that actually had chicks inside), which in turn you can combine with cooked porkchops for 2 Ham and Eggs per egg/chop. Your hunger problems are gone after that.
-Block the tunnels with dirt while you're mining for iron. That should keep you safe enough. That said...
-Go for the iron pick first. My usual strategy is pickaxe>shears (for luring animals with tall grass and cheap leather armor)>hoe>sword. If you play safely, you won't need the sword at all.
-If you go nomad, always camp far away from large groups of animals so that mobs don't kill them during the night.

And on commentary/recording:
-Cheer up, man! You sounded a bit frustrated/annoyed in this first video. Play with a light head and don't be so negative. You're playing to have fun, and I know you are, as you say mention more than once how much you like the mod, but you don't have to mull over the fact that you might eventually die.
Other than the "negativity" (which I assume is momentaneous, you sounded like a good sport), I don't have any criticism. You know how to commentate and cut out the "boring" parts. And I really enjoyed your video.

Well, I seem to have carried myself a bit. Anyway, I hope you keep recording and posting these, as I look forward to watch you crawl your way up the tech tree.

Edit: Just found out that you put out another video. It's fairly late here, so I'll leave to watch it tomorrow and update my post if I feel necessary.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote: -The first on is kinda personal, but I like to go nomad during the first few days. Instead of settling down on the first hole I dig on the ground, I think it's better to travel around collecting food and wood during the day while mentally mapping the landscape and camping at night inside natural caves digging for cobble, coal and iron. The key is to only collect what you can carry. When you find a good spot to start working up the tech tree, possibly close to a ravine or a mine shaft, that's where I'd recommend you to settle down and build your first chest.
Yeah, that's entirely personal. I immediately settle wherever I spawn (short of a desert), and it's caused me no real issues. I much prefer building up a base right from the get go.

Plus, if you wander like that, you won't easily be able to find an initial base at original spawn, and if you're at a respawn location, and wander, you risk wandering outside the respawn area, thus potentially making it extremely difficult to find that location again should you die.

Without chests and such, it also becomes impossible to store valuables (like iron) in case you die, and thus makes it unlikely you will recover anything from that run should you eventually return.
johnt

Post by johnt »

re: chests, dying, and building bases:

I always, always, always build at spawn. I won't leave it unless there is literally no food and I am starving to death. You're going to die eventually, and when you die, you're going to need to be able to find your base again, and the only reliable way to do that is with a compass, if its on spawn. (Unless you've built it up enough that you had enough resources to build a road back to spawn from it)

In my spawn base, I always leave everything in chests except for axes, food and basic building blocks like dirt slabs.

If I've died and am now in nomad/compass-making mode, I don't make chests unless I have more stuff than I can carry, but I do leave furnaces and crafting tables if i'm not starved for wood and stone. Finding those two after you die can save your ass if you respawn at night.

Another thing that really helps is going to every high ground spot visible from your spawn base and dropping a torch on it. And then doing the same from those torches, moving further and further away.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I have gone nomad from the start but the only reason I have ever done so was due to spawning in either the green or the white types of desert where you still get rain but no trees. Even then I always build a landmark at magnetic north, pick a cardinal direction and make sure to use dirt slab stairs at every possible point to clearly mark the trail as I set out.
Better is the enemy of Good
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Ceunon wrote:Nice video, I liked it a lot. From your OT thread, I thought you were kind of a reckless player, but you demonstrate you keep your head cool most of the time and have some great insights on how to play MC and the mod. I consider myself a fairly advanced player regarding the mod's early game, but I think I learned a thing or two by watching your first video (the "leave one mushroom" tactic comes to mind).

A few tips/suggestions on gameplay:

-snip-

Well, I seem to have carried myself a bit. Anyway, I hope you keep recording and posting these, as I look forward to watch you crawl your way up the tech tree.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the tips/praise. :D I did end up settling down here and as you will see in part 2, I built a little fortification here already.
FlowerChild wrote:
I immediately settle wherever I spawn (short of a desert), and it's caused me no real issues. I much prefer building up a base right from the get go.
This has been my experience as well. Going nomadic seems to use too much food, and you can always travel out a ways and come back when you have to go farther (deeper). I think I remember you saying somewhere (maybe "Let's Play With FlowerChild") that you like to make one way trips to build little outposts and collect all the food and goodies there, then come back. I've yet to do this, but it's how I plan to tackle my base as well.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

-Bump-

Updated the OP with two new episodes, sorry I haven't updated the OP in a couple of days. :P
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Updated the Op with three new episodes.

I'm not sure if I should keep the video length kinda short like I have been, or go for longer ones. If I did upload longer ones, they might get up to 30 and 40 minutes in length.

Also, I installed the updated pandadoku texturepack and installed the biomes a plenty addon, so things may start looking very interesting in the near future. :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Shorter episodes are easier to sit down and watch. I can't wait to see the Gloom kill you.
Better is the enemy of Good
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I like long episodes myself, when they are entertaining. Yours are pretty good, I wouldn't mind to see longer episodes.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
ServantOMallard

Post by ServantOMallard »

3 new episodes? Crap, well there goes my early night :-P Keep up the good work!
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Updated the OP with episode 9! I'm sorry this one and 10 run long, I had 40 minutes of footage to deal with. :P
DaveYanakov wrote:Shorter episodes are easier to sit down and watch.
jorgebonafe wrote:I wouldn't mind to see longer episodes.
:<
jorgebonafe wrote:Yours are pretty good
ServantOMallard wrote:3 new episodes? Crap, well there goes my early night :-P Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the nice words guys :D
DaveYanakov wrote:I can't wait to see the Gloom kill you.
Ha!

Wait, are you serious? :<
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Jesar wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Shorter episodes are easier to sit down and watch.
jorgebonafe wrote:I wouldn't mind to see longer episodes.
:<
Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about...

Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Entry 11 is up! Please let me know if you guys think I'm making too many of these too fast. I'm thinking of uploading about 20 minute episodes with less of the play time recorded to compress some of the future episodes. I don't want each episode to be a freaking live stream. XD
jorgebonafe wrote:
Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about...
Maybe you're right...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

20 minutes is perfect.
Btw, still pretty entertaining :) Yours and Vioki's are the only ones I'm watching these days
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Watched half of your first one, subed and plan on watching more till I go to bed, mind if I ask what your using to record?
johnt

Post by johnt »

Episode 10 is like the #1 reason that people die in BTW, and it's kind of a dumb one.

Don't go outside at night. You will die. Maybe you'll get lucky one night. You probably won't. If you get caught when the sun is going down, dig a hole. Don't try to run home unless you can make it in a few seconds.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote:Episode 10 is like the #1 reason that people die in BTW, and it's kind of a dumb one.

Don't go outside at night. You will die. Maybe you'll get lucky one night. You probably won't. If you get caught when the sun is going down, dig a hole. Don't try to run home unless you can make it in a few seconds.
Hear hear. I usually don't run around at night unless I'm decked out in SFS, which is possibly the one time where you can get away with it consistently.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

jorgebonafe wrote:20 minutes is perfect.
Btw, still pretty entertaining :) Yours and Vioki's are the only ones I'm watching these days
Thanks! I honestly didn't think people would watch this stuff, let alone find it entertaining.
DreamsofFury wrote:Watched half of your first one, subed and plan on watching more till I go to bed, mind if I ask what your using to record?
Fraps , then putting it all together in wmm, nothing special. Also, thanks for the sub, it was delicious.
johnt wrote:Episode 10 is like the #1 reason that people die in BTW, and it's kind of a dumb one.

I had a feeling it would happen, but I did it anyway. Nothing dumber than that. Well, maybe stopping, building shelter, then deciding to leave again. Heh.

Thanks for all the support you guys, I feel much better about continuing recording knowing someone is actually watching. ;D
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am also enjoying the series.

If I may offer a pearl of wisdom from my past fails. Don't go out right at sun up. Mobs will still murder you whilst on fire. You don't know how many deaths I suffered from being impatient. Good luck in your future episodes.
johnt

Post by johnt »

You can go out while the sun is coming up. You just have to look around carefully, make sure the coast is clear, then as soon as you get out, turn around and run backwards for open ground, so you don't get random spiders and creepers jumping on you from above, etc.
Torisen13

Post by Torisen13 »

You mentioned that you have the 1.6.x launcher? If so how do you get MCPatcher to work. My MCPatcher for version 1.5.2 cannot find the jar even though I point to it, and the MCPatch version for 1.6.x says the addons for HD textures is non compatible.

Also for creeper defense I like to build a mote around my towers. Just a 1X2 deep ring around my tower and a bow usually handles the creepers without all the holes :P

O, and I assume it goes without saying I am enjoying your play through. I just within the past week or so came back to MC and BTW and am having a bit of a struggle with the learning curve. Through a few hard learned lessons in game and watching the habits, and maybe a few hard lessons, of others I think I am starting to develop a strategy.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Torisen13 wrote:You mentioned that you have the 1.6.x launcher? If so how do you get MCPatcher to work. My MCPatcher for version 1.5.2 cannot find the jar even though I point to it, and the MCPatch version for 1.6.x says the addons for HD textures is non compatible.
1. Make sure you download MCpatcher version 3.0.4_02, as this is the one with the custom color fix for BTW. On the MCPatcher page, click the spoiler box for the 1.5.2 version. Download it, it should be the appropriate one. Again, make sure the filename is mcpatcher-3.0.4_02.

2. Run MCPatcher, then click the mods tab and load the BTW mod so it appears in the list ready for patching.

3. IMPORTANT NEW PART: Click on the directory drop down menu where MCPatcher looks for the .jar to modify. It's still looking in the "bin" folder. Tell it to look in the /versions/1.5.2 folder, and select the 1.5.2 jar.

4. IMPORTANT NEW PART: Click on the directory where MCPatcher saves the new modded .jar. It tries to save to the "bin" folder. Tell it to save to a new folder in the /versions folder. Name the new folder the name of the jar. NOTE: Change the save name of the .jar to something new to distinguish it from everything else. Now, you should have a "something.jar" in a "something" folder in the /versions directory in your .minecraft folder.

5. Click Patch. Close MCPatcher once it has finished.

6. Open the .minecraft folder, then open the /versions folder. Go to the 1.5.2 folder that you selected in MCPatcher to patch, then copy the .JSON file that is there. Paste it into the "something" folder you made for the patched .jar.

7. Rename the .JSON to match the name of the .jar.

8. Open the .JSON in a text editor and change the "1.5.2" (the version the .JSON refers to) to match the name of your patched .jar. ("something")

You should now have a .minecraft/versions/something folder directory with a something.jar and a something.json with the something.json edited to reference the something.jar. Now create a new profile in the 1.6X launcher and choose this "something" as the .jar the profile is based off of.

Profit.

Also, thanks for the praise. ;D

EDIT:

Entry 12 is out now.