Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
johnt

Re: Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve

Post by johnt »

I wish I had been keeping logs, but I started a new server yesterday, less than 24 hours ago, and one of our players has died no less than 50 times. He's still plugging away at it, though, bless his heart. It's been almost an hour since his last death!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote:I wish I had been keeping logs, but I started a new server yesterday, less than 24 hours ago, and one of our players has died no less than 50 times. He's still plugging away at it, though, bless his heart. It's been almost an hour since his last death!
Yikes. If you pass me his user name, I'll be sure to include a feature to change all his death messages to simply read "Timmmy!!!!!" in the next release ;)
Terus_

Post by Terus_ »

A month or so back I was digging out my hovel in a plains biome. I had placed my wooden door and was peacefully digging into the cobblestone I had finally reached as the zombies were pounding away at the entrance. A few seconds later I found out zombies can break wood doors on normal and I had to defend myself with an axe I had handy. After I finally slew the foul beast a spider shoots a web through the now open entrance and sticks me the wall while a creeper walked in and finished me.
Spoiler
Show

I don't think I've ever panicked so much before.
August West

Post by August West »

This is a pretty tough situation to find yourself in pre sword ...
Spoiler
Show
Edit to give a little bit of a back story:

I spawned in a beautiful spot right on the bank of a river that acted as a border between a plains biome and a forest. After a very long rain storm that caused me to spend a couple days and nights holed up mining couple and digging for piles, I was pretty anxious to get outside. The rain ended right as night did, and I decided to leave my base a little earlier than I should have. (I heard zombies burning up in the sun, and since I was chomping at the bit I went for it) Unfortunately there were a couple spiders and a skeleton waiting for me. I decided my best escape plan was to jump in my boat and go down river until I hit the bay where I could sit safely for a while. My plan was cut short when one of the spiders' webs hit bulls-eye and trapped me in the spot. The mixture of not having a sword and being stuck in the boat made it near impossible to hit the spider that was swimming in the water. He killed me rather quickly.

It was really quite an amazing death. As simple as it was, the dread that I felt was amazing. I love the webs. It reminds me of how thick a black widow's web is. Imagine being stuck in a huge glob of that stuff. My steve was, and it didn't end well.
Last edited by August West on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

I accidentally beat a cow to death with a bucket.

Now, I know. This wasn't directly related to me dying, but it certainly contributed to my starvation.

I hadn't played in a while and I saw the udders. When I right clicked nothing happened so I thought, "maybe I'm supposed to use the other button." So, buckets are either a secret one-hit-kill weapon, or (more likely) the cow fell into the ravine I pulled it from.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Folrig wrote:buckets are either a secret one-hit-kill weapon
He knows! Quickly, we must suppress this information!
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

I once tried to play on this jungle island chain once in a world named Stranded II with the intent of sooner or later looking to reach a continent with villagers. Lucky for me, I spawned close to a jungle temple, so I used it as my base for the time being. It was pretty nice, too.

I was constantly struggling to keep good stock of stone pickaxes and stone axes, and I was so focused on trying to find pigs and chickens to kill for food without killing them all, I completely forgot to try and go spelunking for coal and iron to make things easier, and to collect seeds from tall grass, and I had yet to discover that logs made for great furnace fuel. I was constantly trying to burn sawdust and bark to save as many wooden planks as possible, since I wouldn't be using bark and sawdust any other way anytime soon and they were just creating cluttered space.

When it turned night, I hid in the highest floor of the jungle temple in hopes of no mobs spawning up there, and so I could also see what mobs were outside and when they would try to enter the temple. There was also a nice view of the ocean from one window.

Having failed to get enough stone for making a furnace somehow, I just anxiously waited on the 2nd floor of that temple while looking out the window. Then suddenly out of nowhere in the stillness of the night, I hear a hissing sound behind me, and I go "OH SHI-", only for a creeper to blow up, take out half my health, and damage the inside of the temple a little.

I didn't die, but I did that morning when I forgot to watch my hunger gauge while mining for stone and chopping down jungle trees, and I couldn't find any pigs or chickens soon enough. So for the next few minutes, I just slowly walked around, lost, until I began to starve and get the nausea effect (which was fun, in a way :D), and eventually, and finally, die from starvation.

But because I had hardcore spawn off, it wasn't much of a penalty except for when I tried to go sail off in search of land...Now I wanna try that world again but with Hardcore Spawn on, for the challenge, the change in scenery, and just to get off that friggin' island. >_>
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

TheGatesofLogic was consumed by The Darkness
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Gears

Post by Gears »

I had spawned the wither and lost... Right as I killed it.

It was one of those fights where something at the back of my head was saying "you're not ready", whereas something else was pushing me to fight it. I put on some chainmail, one projectile protect enchantment, grabbed a refined sword with Smite V, made eleven broadhead arrows for my composite bow, and packed a few potions of regeneration.

Keeping in mind the destructive capabilities of the wither, I built it in a semi-flooded alcove in the face of a mountain and prepared to fight it there. I made some distance between myself and the generating wither, and readied my composite bow for the first shots. The wither began flying around, and shooting at something I couldn't see, so I unloaded my arrows, draining it's health to a little over half. Drinking a potion of regeneration, I began running over to the wither, which had finally noticed me. I started wailing on it's ass, slowly getting affected by the withering effect.

At this point I realized I was going to die, as without the enchantment I would have died far earlier in the fight. Sparing no time, I drank one more potion while dodging the wither skull, and took the bastard out as it shot one last skull at me point blank. The explosion killed me instantly as the wither itself died. I'm still looking for my base and the mountain...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Today I experienced my first lava death on the Better Than Solo server. Feeling over confident, I went into a mine with all of my iron tools and full armor to mine obsidian. I used a water source to cover up the melted rock that would appear under the obsidian, but I didn't realize that I was running out of stream length. My happiness towards mining the last piece of obsidian necessary was cut short by a splash and sizzle. Had I not panicked, I am sure I could have quickly tore off my armor and saved my items from the magma's grasp. Worst part is, the diamond pick wasn't necessarily mine...
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show