John Dies at the End

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

John Dies at the End

Post by BinoAl »

I just watched this movie on Netflix... What the fuck did I just watch. It was good, I was entertained the whole movie, but it's got to be one of the weirdest movies I've ever watched
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: John Dies at the End

Post by FlowerChild »

I saw World War Z last night, and as a huge zombie movie fan, was rather dissappointed, and slightly pissed off.

I think those assholes both just conceived and aborted zombie movies becoming main-stream, and thus more big budget ones being made.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yeah, I've heard WWZ was a rather bad adaptation. Have you read the book? It's supposedly a lot better, has a completely different ending, and addresses some of the plotholes involving the "zombies" themselves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Yeah, I've heard WWZ was a rather bad adaptation. Have you read the book? It's supposedly a lot better, has a completely different ending, and addresses some of the plotholes involving the "zombies" themselves
Yup, I've read it. Really good.

I have a laundry list of complaints really:

-Hardly any zombie action, despite what the preview would have you believe.
-Way too much "filler".
-No gore.
-The apocalyptic vibe was weak at best.
-Enough with "curing the zombie plague" already. Bullshit. Big ass sorry excuse to have Brad Pitt play the hero and run all over the globe.

And the most offensive part of all:

-Fucking happy ending. Fuck.

My overall impression is that the director has never seen a zombie movie, doesn't actually like zombie movies, and had zero concept of the underlying themes that makes them so cool to begin with.

Hella-lame. I was so looking forward to that one.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup, I've read it. Really good.

I have a laundry list of complaints really:

-Hardly any zombie action, despite what the preview would have you believe.
-Way too much "filler".
-No gore.
-The apocalyptic vibe was weak at best.
-Enough with "curing the zombie plague" already. Bullshit. Big ass sorry excuse to have Brad Pitt play the hero and run all over the globe.

And the most offensive part of all:

-Fucking happy ending. Fuck.

My overall impression is that the director has never seen a zombie movie, doesn't actually like zombie movies, and had zero concept of the underlying themes that makes them so cool to begin with.

Hella-lame. I was so looking forward to that one.
Why can't anyone just let zombie book to movie adaptations keep the original endings? They even changed the ending to I Am Legend. Instead of realizing that he had been hunting essentially sentient beings who were pissed he had been experimenting on them, he killed them all and cured the plague. For fuck's sake, hollywood.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Warm Bodies I can accept having a happy ending. And if I'm going to be generous, the book also had a happy ending and a 'cure' to the zombie plague. Of a sort...

The reason I will not be going to see this movie is simply because it was made very clear early on that the book was a tertiary concern. What it was is a renamed script adapted to be a Brad Pitt vehicle rather than Brad Pitt being in a zombie movie. Once I learned what was going on it barely even pinged on my radar for the rest of its development and I'm actually hoping that it tanks at the box office. Zombies are still filling seats in other movies and media and the producers need to learn that they screwed up this time so they can figure out how to make more money the next time by selling me a ticket.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I honestly don't understand the fascination with zombie movies... :P
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Short answer, they hold up a mirror to humanity.

I've got a copy of JDATE sitting on my shelf but I've not watched it yet. The book was rather incredible and sort of reminded me of eXistenZ so I am quite looking forward to the combination of that story and Paul Giamatti
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DaveYanakov wrote:Warm Bodies I can accept having a happy ending. And if I'm going to be generous, the book also had a happy ending and a 'cure' to the zombie plague. Of a sort...
If you're grouping Warm Bodies in with World War Z, I'm not sure you understand what we mean by "Zombie Movies" ;p
My girlfriend dragged me to go see that one, and it was basically a chick-flic
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

I actually enjoyed WWZ. It could never be a true adaptation of the book because the book wasn't written in away to allow that (except for in the form of a mockumentary). There was no cure found in the movie and I don't know why people keep saying that. There was something but it explicitly wasn't a cure.

It was a nice change of pace from the standard zombie movie with the cliche plot lines (someone gets bitten but doesn't say anything and turns at the worst possible moment). From my impression, the movie took place and ended at the "beginning" of the outbreak (before supplies ran low and tough decisions were needed, and before bandits became a bigger issue than the undead). I didn't think it meant everything was going to be better now, only that they had a chance.

This movie definitely fell into the category of Thriller rather than Zombie Horror. One thing I didn't like though were the agile zombies. I prefer my zombies to be slow and clumsy and only truly threatening in herds.

Also, never go into a movie expecting it to be a well done adaptation of the book, that's just asking for disappointment. It's better to just consider it its own thing with maybe some similarities.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I honestly don't understand the fascination with zombie movies... :P
My personal view on it is that zombie movies are the modern catharsis for the fear of an impending apocalypse, much like movies like the Mad Max series were back in the 80's.

I think the intro to my favorite zombie film sums it up quite well:

DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Sad to say I haven't read the book yet it seems I should head to the bookstore next paycheck. As for the movie, my first introduction to zombie films were the old black and whites my dad happened to have on VHS, I also enjoyed the 2004 adaptation of Dawn of the Dead, until this thread the only thing I had seen about WWZ was the trailer, knowing that think I should still go see it or just wait for it to eventually hit netflix?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DreamsofFury wrote:Sad to say I haven't read the book yet it seems I should head to the bookstore next paycheck. As for the movie, my first introduction to zombie films were the old black and whites my dad happened to have on VHS, I also enjoyed the 2004 adaptation of Dawn of the Dead, until this thread the only thing I had seen about WWZ was the trailer, knowing that think I should still go see it or just wait for it to eventually hit netflix?
The original Night of the Living Dead is still the classic, but man, it seems it's next to impossible to watch it with the original ending these days. I really wish people would stop fucking with it, as that ending is what really elevated it to art.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Wish I could remember the ending, I'm gonna have to snag it again, its been well over 20 years since I saw it last, I think I saw some early 90s remake a few years back, not sure.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DreamsofFury wrote:Wish I could remember the ending, I'm gonna have to snag it again, its been well over 20 years since I saw it last, I think I saw some early 90s remake a few years back, not sure.
Christ. Good luck finding it.

I've tried introducing so many people to that film, only to have the ending be completely different from what makes it a classic.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

FlowerChild wrote:
DreamsofFury wrote: Christ. Good luck finding it.
I'm fortunate enough to have all my dads old horror flicks on VHS still, just need something to play them.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Haven't gotten around to watching John Dies at the End yet, although I really, really want to. Both JDATE and This Book is Full of Spiders are at the top of my favorite books list.

Heard World War Z sucked, but it starred Brad Pitt so I knew that already.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MaxAstro wrote: Heard World War Z sucked, but it starred Brad Pitt so I knew that already.
Fight Club mother fucker. Nuff said.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Shit, that was Brad Pitt?

~Makes a list entitled "Movies I've enjoyed that star Brad Pitt"~

~Writes "Fight Club"~

Okay, duly noted. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

True Romance...12 Monkeys...boom boom mother fucker! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Now granted, Fight Club aside, he joins my Nicolas Cage rant from Icy's LP about actors that used to do cool movies that sold out and now do shit ;)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Now granted, Fight Club aside, he joins my Nicolas Cage rant from Icy's LP about actors that used to do cool movies that sold out and now do shit ;)
True dat.

For Reference: I loved 'Interview with the Vampire'. It introduced me to Anne Rice and the entire Vampire Chronicles series which was just awesome.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Add Snatch to that list as well.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

He was in Seven as well, was he not?
August West

Post by August West »

Also Meet Joe Black and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I enjoyed Inglourious Bastards as well.