Anyone using tripwire hooks and what for?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Anyone using tripwire hooks and what for?

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, and I don't particularly want to eliminate mining entirely from the game either. I was recently lamenting the inclusion of synthetic redstone as a design error because of that.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I've never used trip wires for anything but cosmetics and stakes look better in every build I've used them on. On the LPs I watch (vanilla), trip wires are only ever used by people for silly exploity ender pearl platform things, some vanilla automation to replace what we get with the DB and Lens, and booby traps.

Frankly, the only reason I've ever bothered with them in BTW is for the iron resmelt (IE looting temples for them). Until that point in my worlds they end up sitting in a chest. And they posed zero threat when I was looting 2 different jungle temples in my current world (Hardcore Spawn for the win, as these were both the first jungle temples I've ever found in Minecraft).

Oh, and I have to agree, late game the lens and redstone eyes are the only reason I have for continued mining late game. That, and I've never built a pig-zombie farm so I usually runout of gold when I get into heavy automation.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:For my chicken farm they send a red stone signal back to the dispenser when an egg falls through it and for my cow/sheep farm the calfs and lambs set them off when they are born to trigger the dispensers drop more wheat on the cows/sheep.
I just wanted to second that I use tripwires this way as well.

But I don't believe you should keep them in just for this reason. If you feel they need to be tweaked or removed, I trust your judgement. This tripwires setup is also very easy to replace with other mod methods as previous members have mentioned.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

I personally tend to use tripwires in adventure dungeons I like to build on PK's server, and while I'll be a tad bit sad that they are gone, detector blocks will work just fine it will just take some ingenuity in hiding them(challenge accepted ;). I do really like all of your ideas to fix them however and would love it if you did that instead of "ripping the fucker out" :)
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I think that they are useful, and if you make the recipe much harder/higher in the tech tree, I think it gives the player a sense of "ownership" of the game world, which belongs later in the game....Therefore they should be harder to get, maybe even obtainable only through the temples.

EDIT: All these people using them for item detection, that should be nixed.
Last edited by Yhetti on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnt

Post by johnt »

FlowerChild wrote:
Azdoine wrote:I can tell you that I probably wouldn't use tripwires even if you did redesign them. They have no good place.
Yeah, that's the way I think I'm feeling too. I seem to be contemplating redesigning jungle temple traps more than the tripwires themselves, so that gives a pretty good indication of where my though process is going.
Well the traps as they are now aren't really traps at all, so much as a goodie bag with absolutely zero danger. It would be nice if the traps had the potential to actually kill you, or at least mildly inconvenience you.
ion

Post by ion »

as i'm a sucker for aesthetics i used them only for that. but i use most of the MC items for that and only that
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:I think that they are useful, and if you make the recipe much harder/higher in the tech tree, I think it gives the player a sense of "ownership" of the game world, which belongs later in the game....Therefore they should be harder to get, maybe even obtainable only through the temples.
Well that's the thing...the Lens and Detector Block provide the same functionality (and more), much higher in the tech tree.

Given that vanilla's "tech tree" is all of an hour to complete, handing out that kind of functionality at very little cost kinda fits vanilla, but I'm actually rather alarmed to realize that trip wires can be used for item detection and such. Like I said, in the past, I mostly just ignored them, so I never realized they were being used/abused for that purpose.

Whatever I do, yeah, I think that part has to go. Pushing something as simple as a trip wire higher in the tech tree would feel distinctly artificial IMO.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Can you use it for reusable item detection or is it a one-time thing that you need to replace?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hmm, If they get broken after triggered they would be extremely special case uses though. Why would you need something like that other than making traps, which even in smp is kinda rare.

On the other hand, even though I've never used them, they devalue the lens, which is a huge shame, considering how long we were waiting for it (and the epic video of it's reveal), and how cool they are.

It's a case of vMC tech which does make sense there, but is out of place in btw. If you have any cool ideas and are willing to do something with them, awesome. Otherwise not sure if it is worth bothering with them, removing them entirely is fine with me, although jungle ruins do get broken.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

I actually use them for detecting large slimes (placing them on the 3rd block up high) so it detects their jumping, alerting me of their presence.
I can see the use for a cheap item detection, but once you have made an automated machine, a detector block is really close anyway, so its kinda pointless, and it is tbh, cheating in regards to BTW's philosophy.

For aesthetics, BTW does it a lot better with stakes and I see no need for the tripwires although updating their graphics and making actual traps could be cool on a pvp server, but there are so many alternatives to creating traps its not really needed tbh.

I haven't learned how to use lenses yet, so can't comment on that, but using tripwire redstone signal across roofs or similar would be very nifty but not something I would require.

In short: 2 reasons for them, 3 reasons against. My vote is to remove.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

About the tripwire devaluating lenses for signal transmission. I mainly use lenses for vertical transmission. When I need horizontal transmision I use just redstone so, for me, the tripwire ting will affect redstone more than the lenses. I personally don't use them because I don't like how the string looks and it's big hitbox.

Also, you can't use it for detecting water flows without replacing the string.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

In practice, there's very little reason to detect water flows since they are pretty much always created by the player. Given that, you already know whether they are on or off, and if they were created by opening a channel with a circuit, then you already have that circuit's on/off state within itself.

I suppose there are limited uses for detecting water flow in PvP or adventure maps or whatever, but it really isn't a big deal, and certainly not enough of a big deal to differentiate between trip wires and a DB.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I detect the waterflow in my automated kiln as i prefeer to avoid timers. When the item is cooked it releases a water stream that carry the item and triger a detector block to send a pulse to my circuit and put another block in the kiln. But yeah, it doesn't make the diference important.
Estel88

Post by Estel88 »

i use tripwires hooks in my nether farm, they allow mobtraps with 3 block drops that aren't big inverted pyramids or a fps killer with repeaters goin on and off.
also, i find them better in traps because the wire is difficult to see and they are not a big reward by themselves, in a trap with lenses and detector blocks i would rather take them than the loot
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I used them to feed my little poop machines.

Screenshots of the test build. can be found here http://imgur.com/a/5RN3l
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:
Well that's the thing...the Lens and Detector Block provide the same functionality (and more), much higher in the tech tree.

Given that vanilla's "tech tree" is all of an hour to complete, handing out that kind of functionality at very little cost kinda fits vanilla, but I'm actually rather alarmed to realize that trip wires can be used for item detection and such. Like I said, in the past, I mostly just ignored them, so I never realized they were being used/abused for that purpose.

Whatever I do, yeah, I think that part has to go. Pushing something as simple as a trip wire higher in the tech tree would feel distinctly artificial IMO.
I say you just get rid of them then, to me, beyond the functionality that can be emulated by lenses and detectors, they are just decorative.
After you said that, I think they should go, but (you'll probably never do this)you should leave them in creative mode for decorative purposes.

I have never used them at all, I stick to lenses, and I guess I never even thought about it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Ripping them out as a mechanism does not necessarily mean stripping the block out of the game, just the redstone trigger functionality. Either way, I'll be kind of glad to see them gone. It would be kind of nice to have non-looted jungle temples retain their trap mechanism but that trap was never really dangerous to start with.
Better is the enemy of Good
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Well, I feel like I might be late to the party here, but I did have a use for them as well. If you remove, or change their functionality significantly, I'll be needing to go find a new mob farm design. I have a rather nice high efficiency mob farm entirely based on using tripwire to detect mobs as quickly as possible. I suppose I could replace them with detector blocks, but I'd need an insane number of them to cover the same area. Hundreds of them for a farm of any decent size.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Why do you need to detect mobs in a mob farm?
jwideman

Post by jwideman »

It seems to me that they should work like a reverse pressure plate, transmitting redstone power until triggered.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

sacrife wrote:Why do you need to detect mobs in a mob farm?
Piston based drop traps. They kill the mobs really fast after spawn so the total number of mobs alive at any point remains low keeping the spawn rate high.

I've never found it useful in survival. By the time I've got enough resources to make one, I've already had my vine trap based one working at full efficiency for quite awhile. That and it's really only necessary in the overworld, nether/end farms can use lens based detection since the light level isn't an concern.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

All that said, the pricing is a bit on the harsh side for lenses. I would love to use more of them but right now the opportunity cost of an average 35 minutes spent staring at stone walls for each one is prohibitive unless they are absolutely needed, like in a tall item elevator or long drawbridge. Tripwires were way too cheap in comparison but there were times I felt compelled to use them just to avoid spending another two hours branch mining to get six diamonds.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

milkmandan wrote: That and it's really only necessary in the overworld, nether/end farms can use lens based detection since the light level isn't an concern.
Unless large amounts of rapid lighting updates don't like your machine.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.