Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
destineternel

Re: Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve

Post by destineternel »

Well it happened..

I just went to the End for the first time in my new world. I had nice diamond sword and an infinity bow. Armour was a weak point. I said to myself I can do this. There I was doing good dragon was down half health. Had half the regen towers destroyed. The dragon was coming at me...I shot..A hit! woo! I turn to track the dragon and BAM! enderman behind me. We locked eyes...and well in that blink of an eye I said to myself "Flowerchild I hate you!" Within seconds there was a couple dozen enderman surrounding me. DEAD!

I was nervous...where was I going to respawn. A swamp! With extreme hills next to it. DAMNIT! I didn't recognize anything. Proceeded to punch wood......

Flowerchild, I dont hate you at all. :) Thank you
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I apologize for the nine day necro, but something just happened to me in game that made me remember this thread from my pre-registration lurking.

I finally have a world that I am developing nicely (just got the stuff to enter the pottery age now,) and I decided that I'm going to start my Kiln/Soulforge Steel workshop in the nether where I can grow netherwarts and gather netherack simultaneously. I'm in the nether, diggin' up the ground where my bridge will connect my nether house to the build site, and a Zombie Pigman decides to bump me, almost sending me into the lava below.

Almost.

"Ha!" I exclaim, "looks like you missed buddy!" He died in three strikes. That will teach him to mess with this steve!

His friends didn't take kindly to my hostility, and I find myself back at my spawnpoint about 150-200 blocks from my base/portal.

This is where BTW comes in to troll my day HARD.

I get back, yay my stuff is still here! But so are the pigs. I die twice more, and both times I'm sprinting the 200 blocks (up a hill, mind you,) I'm cursing myself for not making a spawn base and connecting it with railway to my main (higher on the to-do list now.) So, I get to my house, and this time I make a new set of iron tools to take on the swarming swinemen. I get there, take care of business, get my stuff, and do a victory dance. Then one more falls off a cliff, pushes me to the edge, then kills me. Half my stuff went over and into the magma brine. So I'm cursing myself once more as I get back, kill the pig, get my stuff, and sit in wait in my house.

I went to the nether, made five trips to get my stuff back when I normally would just rage and start a new world, and finally get my project going peacefully again without cheating or pussing out, something I never did before this mod. Do I feel accomplished?

No. I didn't have hardcore spawn on.

This mod changes you man...
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

This is an odd tale of woe as the blame praise lies with VMC and BTW features alike.

So, I'm out preparing for a trek through the Groth infested nether and, as part of that, I have made a shiny new set of Soul forged steel armor so I can do a bit of landscaping while I set up a building, although I'm not wearing it so I don't have to deal with the hunger issues.

Just as I've got everything packed up and ready to go however, I see a lone pigman who came through my portal and decide to dispatch him. I win easily. Sill this is a tale of woe and wouldn't you know it, just as I dispatched him, I hear squeals of rage: A second pigman had come through the portal.

I, foolishly armorless and now low on heath, die quickly.

Now this was on a multiplayer server and my base is quite a ways away which means, thanks to the groth and a spawn city that is deliberately set up to not function as anything but the most basic supply center, I now don't any SFS boots have any have to walk 2k overland back to my base. It's nothing I haven't done before but it does leave me with a bit of a time shortage so no one else enters the area.

Well I manage to get back in one piece but because of the way I came in overland rather than through the portal, I don't see the pigman and he slays me again before I can kill him.

The second time (4k!) I come back I'm better prepared but as I face the pigman once more I notice that he's wearing chainmail armor. The thought doesn't have much time to register before I finally manage to kill my enemy... And in the exact same moment he kills me, for the third and final time.

It is only after I return one last time --- and I have definitely gotten Steve's exercise in for today --- that I discover it wasn't just my bad luck that got me killed so many times. It turns out that "chainmail" the pigman was wearing was in fact, my Soul Forged armor.

And that is how Groth, Soul forged Steel armor, Pigmen coming through portals, mobs picking up items, and a set of good server rules colluded to kill me three times.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Great story man! Thanks for that :)

I need to get around to fixing the armor textures on mobs, but get the impression I should probably wait for the rendering changes in 1.5. Can't wait to see a pigman decked out in SFS ;)
ion

Post by ion »

my best was sunday morning death. Saturday i was working all day, all my factories at full speed for SFS blocks. by sunday morning i had about a stack of SFS blocks. just waiting around i had a great idea to make some dynamite, got 2 full stacks in my inventory, but i forgot something in my backpack. then i make a trip to my smelting chamber make a jump, and voila.
blasting oil fun fun fun times!
everything was destroyed then items left burned down as i had a wood floor.
thanks!
Six

Post by Six »

With all the wonderful new ways to die, I thought it was time to bring back another of these old threads with a new death which I don't think I've ever legitimately had before in Minecraft. If you wish to skip the preamble and go straight to the bit about how I was killed, just jump down to the bold text below.

I hadn't played through the entire early game for a while, so I decided it was finally time to try out a fresh start through to getting to the Nether. I don't normally play single player on this computer due to performance, but the early game (before there is much built) is playable.

I spawned in a snow biome (seed 'Phillip') with plenty of wolves, which I could hear very well in the first few nights. When food was running low and I set out from there to find fresh meat (literally) I had to fend off one hungry wolf with one of my spare axes. There was also a few close calls with surface creepers, but nothing that left me too damaged.

Moving house a few times after the howling was getting a bit too worrying at each place, I finally made it out of the snow with 2 wolf friends and scrounged together enough iron for my pick. At this point I had gathered a fair bit of meat, so set up a new base next to what looked to be a pretty deep cave. With a lot of collecting coal as I went, I cautiously pushed into the cave, lighting it up, fending off mobs and retreating when taking too many shots from skeletons. Eventually I found my first sight of the lowest strata:
Spoiler
Show
Wow. Thank you again FlowerChild.

I first built over to the other side of the abyss to secure that path there, only to find it lead to an abandoned mineshaft which started above the bottom strata layer, but soon went deep into it. I lit the start of it up, but as soon as I heard spiders I Noped the hell out of there.

Coming back to that previous spot, I built a careful staircase down into the abyss of the lowest strata. It's amazing what caving is like when you can't dig the walls. After a good half hour (at least) of caving that brought me back to my early days of minecraft, I came upon a wonderful sight:
Spoiler
Show

Gathering up those 3 and a few more that were nearby, I shot back to the surface, grabbed the creeper oysters I'd collected earlier and made my diamond pick. Watering some nearby surface lava nearby, I collected my 10 obsidian and was pleased. It was pretty late by this time and I should have probably gone to bed, but decided to play for a little bit more (this kids, was a mistake).

Being low on coal, I thought I'd head a little way back into my cave to grab some of the coal I'd passed by. But hey, now that I had a diamond pick, I thought to myself, I can more safely venture into that abandoned mineshaft I found earlier (this kids, was a mistake). The mineshafts honestly aren't really much different from before, but MAN do they FEEL different:
Spoiler
Show
I actually did okay down there, making sure to play it very cautious, slowly lighting things up, avoiding the mob infested ravine it cut into.

But this is the series of events which lead to my death:

After a lot of exploring of the mineshaft, I was at the start of a hallway like many others I had come across. It had water half way down, making the way harder to move through and I could hear a skeleton which was probably in the darkness of the other end. Pushing forward, my suspicion was confirmed when I took an arrow to the face. But I'd dealt with this plenty of times already, so I hugged the wall using the fencepost mine-supports as cover. I blocked up the water, hid beside one of the fence posts and killed the skeleton as it came around the corner.

Only there was another. This one was hiding behind a post himself, so I rushed and dispatched him too, but not before arrows left me at injured. Okay, I was going to have to be cautious now. I rounded the next corner and saw a diamond below one of the posts here, but I was being cautious and would not give into silly things which could get me killed. So I pushed forward, lighting up ahead till it came to a dead end. Now the area was secure, so I returned to my diamond prize. Mining it out, I saw there was actually more diamonds below, but I needed to dig out the stone beside it to make a bit of a stair to collect them.

[Place your bets now for how you think I was killed.]
Spoiler
Show
As the stone broke, out popped a silverfish. I fumbled for my sword and beat it back, killing it. Phew, I thought to myself, that was a close call. I'll just grab the diamonds and return to the surface before anything worse happens. I mined out the stone next to it, certain in my knowledge that silverfish only spawned as single blocks in a chunk or biome or something (this kids, was a mistake).

Out burst another silverfish. I grabbed my sword and tried to jump out and away, but I was crippled and couldn't make it. I swung at the beast, but then the stone beside it exploded and out burst another. Unable to beat them back and unable to jump and get away, I was killed by silverfish hiding around diamond ore:

utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Never have I had that happen. I wonder how silverfish blocks are spawning now?
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

utakataJ6 wrote:Never have I had that happen. I wonder how silverfish blocks are spawning now?
I haven't changed their parameters. I've just made Steve a whole lot more fragile, so even the small stuff can kill you know (I've had it happen with slimes) if the circumstances are right ;)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Lightly equipped, I am searching an abandoned mine for rails and other bits of metal left behind by its past owners. As I have already twice this week, I took a step to the side without looking, and found myself down 20 feet below where the floor ends, in a dark hallway full of poisonous creatures.

I will never make that mistake again.

I wake up. Sand. As far as the eye can see, sand. Until somewhere in the distance, I spot some sort of structure. A desert village? No... I see obsidian. Far in the distance, a large sandstone structure with black engravings calls to me. I'm tempted to venture there to collect the treats that lie at the bottom... but then my eye catches the rising sun already high in the sky above it, and I am reminded that I couldn't hope to accomplish anything in there with no wood or tools.

I turn around and begin walking the other way. Before long, a forest appears far across the sands ahead. Wary of the possibility of tiring myself out, I carefully navigate along level ground around the sand dunes and make my way there. And I begin punching as hard as I can.

The forest is suspiciously quiet, and I find myself with only the sound of sawdust and bark raining on my head to soothe my nerves. I craft a makeshift shovel out of wood to reveal some stone, and obtain a stone axe and pick as soon as I can. I chop down the few closest trees, but at this point, I see that the sky is changing color. I don't see anything interesting nearby, and if I want to visit that temple, I have to get going now.

Of course, at the point I was thinking that, it was already too late. As I used some of my collected dirt to ascend one of the dunes, I could see that the spirits of the night were already beginning to appear around me. I didn't know where the temple was, but I still attempted to find it by wandering. Twice, I find myself ambushed - caught in the web of some unseen creature of the night. My axe shatters into pieces against the second one, and I find myself wrestling it in a fight to the death. Finally, I manage to tear out one of its eyes, and it stops moving... though I fear I may have over-exerted myself.

I try to rest, but the memories of the past soon begin to haunt me... I cannot rest. Not now. Not ever. I begin scooping up piles of sand with my bare fists. I pound my fists against the first piece of worthless stone beneath it. I reach some usable stone, and gather enough for a new pick and axe... But then I realize I made an error. I had 6 cobblestone. 15 uncut logs. No axe. No sticks. No planks. I could not make anything. The forest was still not too far away, and as I peeked out, the sky was lightening up, so I decided to trek back out.

On the way back, I began to feel a bit peckish. I still couldn't see any docile form of life around me, though, so I tried not to think about it as I punched down another tree. And then I scoured the forest for food. I searched. And I searched. By midday, my search had turned up nothing but a few red caps, and my stomach was growling. I sized up the situation, plugged my nose, and scarfed them down.

I will never make that mistake again.

Immediately after I swallowed the first one, my whole world was on fire. Before I could even reconsider the idea, I had already forced the second down my throat, and then the third. I could almost feel them travelling through my throat in slow motion, tearing entire layers off as they went. The whole bout must have lasted 10 seconds... and by the end of it, I was winded. I was no longer able to breathe normally. What little breathing I could do stung like needles. I was, without a doubt, Hurt. And I was still hungry.

I searched hammerspace again. 2 sundried slabs of rotting flesh collected from a sunbathing zombie. Alas, my body rejected them both, and in the end, I found myself a bit even hungrier than before. I had reached the point where I don't think I could've jumped even if I wanted to. I was also beginning to run low on dirt. I put together a few wooden shovels, but it was no use; as I toiled away at the dirt hills, I could feel time creeping up on me, I could feel myself getting hungrier by the second. I didn't have time for this. I put the shovels away, and I took out 18 of my hard-earned planks... and cut them all in half to use as stepping stools. "I'm sorry," I said to the planks in their newly-rendered, nearly useless form. "There was no other option."

I continue travelling, through a brief jungle and into a taiga. I am on the border of starvation. Over the next hill, I see something in the snow. Torches! Three of them, in a line! A smile grows across my face and then quickly fades, as I look around and see that these are the only three torches around. I rack my brain trying to remember in which past life I may have put them there, and for what purpose. Nothing comes to mind. Still, the mere sight of them had instilled within me a feeling of hope. I may have left a shelter somewhere; something somewhere for me to survive on.

Then I find it.

The one other creature alive in this wasteland. It, too, appeared to have been searching for food for quite a while.

I felt a great kinship with it... and even I was quickly torn down into my constituent parts, I felt a sort of satisfaction in knowing that my sacrifice will let this creature, this lone survivor, live one more day.

I'm glad you were finally able to have dinner. Live long, my canine friend, and may we meet again... so that you may feed me, one day.
jwideman

Post by jwideman »

1. I discovered - the hard way - that zombies can break wooden doors even in easy difficulty.
2. I also learned - the same way - that spiders that see you at night - even through solid walls - still hate you in the day. Not sure if this is BTW or vanilla though.
3. I heard a lot of wolves howling all night, one right outside my shack. The next morning, all the potential food in the area was gone. I then found out that you can starve to death.
4. No wheat except in villages, so with live food wiped out I am forced to walk until I starve to death looking for a village. I still haven't found one.
5. Wolves get rather upset when there's no food source around, and they spawn in greater numbers now. "Ah, I think he likes me, I don't even have a bone and he's heading my way. Wait, did he just bite me? Time to run! Uh oh, there's another one! And another? I'll just tower up. Um... FM..."
6. Note to self: turn off hardcore spawning. Starved to death before I made it home.
Peter5930

Post by Peter5930 »

I was sailing through a massive ocean (I always play with large biomes), about 10,000 blocks south of my spawn point and main base, equipped with my first set of plate armour, my first battle axe and mattock, my first fortune III diamond pick and with a completely full inventory, hoping that I'd find a mushroom biome. I'd seen nothing but small islands for perhaps the last 20 minutes, when a squid breached the surface right in front of me, shattering my boat and sending me to the bottom. I tried to remove less useful items for my inventory, so that I could safely stash my precious plate armour there in case I had trouble finding it again in the dark depths of the ocean, but every time I removed something from my inventory, I picked it up again before I had time to take off and store a piece of armour, and I very shortly ran out of air and expired, way out in the middle of the ocean, with no landmarks and little hope of recovering my gear.

Much later, when I had all the steel and soul urns I could want through mob traps and an automated soul urn production system and had replaced my lost equipment several times over, I retraced my path and managed to find my gear thanks to the fairly straight southerly path I'd taken and a collection of buoyant items bobbing up and down in a patch on the surface, in the middle of a swarm of squid. I had a respiration III diamond helmet, so it was easy enough to dive down to the heavy items on the bottom, craft a couple of chests and stash away my gear before it despawned, and then I built an underwater outpost with a nether portal, which is currently linked by nether rail to my main base, and serves as my departure point for my mushroom biome searches. Also, I'm now much better at dealing with unplanned trips to the bottom of the ocean, and I just place a couple of blocks and a ladder to make an air pocket. The ladder technique saved me once when I fell into lava, too.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

A new beginning.

I've been poking along slowly in a new world since the early tree sweeping changes are mostly complete. Here in lies the account of my repeated deaths since beginning anew.
1. Spawn was a great location, desert, mountain, forest, and beach access all visible from my starting point. I quickly got to work getting wood and some stone. I worked in a small hole through the night building a stone stockpile and cooking the sheep I murdered. Dawn broke revealing an armor clad skeleton. I rushed out to take it from him without noticing the Creeper that hopped down from his perch on my dirt abode. Boom. Survived 1 day 1 night.
2. Fortunately I had the day to work with and was able to get the basics going again. A nearby ravine called me to dive into its shady depths. I spent the first two days slaughtering everything within sight before the mobs got to my walking food supplies first. I mined cobble at night. I was able to breach the ravine, got enough iron for a pickaxe, and found an abandoned mineshaft. As I continued exploring the mineshaft I discovered a second ravine extending to the diamond layer. After obtaining several diamonds I over extended and met my demise at the bottom of the world from the loving embrace of a zombie and arrows shot from the darkness. Survived 6 days 6 nights.
3. A new spawn, much the same as before, wood, shelter, stone. I struggled to find a large open cave system nearby and as I extended my exploration range, I began to hear the howling at night. I was able to tame two wolves and snag a live chicken, but alas my poor stone axe could not hold off the starving wild wolves for long and I found myself to be dinner. Survived 4 days 4 nights. I'm on spawn 4 and am 2 days in, but I can hear the howling beginning...
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

BTW makes me wanna die.

This is a tale of how BTW didn't killed me.

I was going back home to get some food when i found a open ravine. I couldn't hold myself and i stopped to take a look. I saw some iron and coal and suddenly i hear a "sssss" and panicked trowing myself in the ravine away from a explosive death... into something worse.

I survived with half a heart and though "ok, now i eat the rest of my mutton and wait for my life to regen". happens that it was not enough to get off the "peckish" level... i was dying, almost blind, hearing my own "ugh" of pain each step. I knew there was a waterfall nearby and i could get up to surface with it... but i was too weak to jump and reach it (or swim). I accepted my fate and waited... and waited... happens that it takes some time to starve when you can't jump or swing a pick... i opened my inventory and saw that i had some gravel and i decided that it was time to put myself out of my misery.

I headed to a wall and placed the gravel directly above my head. As it felt it pushed me away and refused to give me even a half heart of damage. I tried and tried, it pushed me over and over till i starved death due to excessive use of my shovel.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

You shouldn't of used a shovel. Then you would of died getting piles.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Not a death but a tale of woe nonetheless. I had some spare time today so I decided to make a run for steel. I finished milling hemp for my windmill, ground a bunch of netherrack, coal and more fiber for axels, constructed my turntable, kiln and crucible set-up and got to work. I bottled six urns, ground up some more netherrack and turned off both my millstone as well as the entire powersupply to deal with the noise. Big mistake. As I filled up my seventh urn the hopper I was standing on broke and I realised instantly that I was in some trouble. As I dropped through the broken hopper, the first fireball flew over me impacting somewhere behind me. I immediately dove down my ladder trying to gain bearings on the ghast, popped up and one-shotted him with my bow as his second shot flew right into my crucible set-up. Relieved that it didn't do more damage I paused to check if he dropped a tear and to survey the damage. That was when I noticed the sound of burning animals. The first shot was a direct hit on a little wooden shed on top of my base, with wooden floorboards, under which all my farm animals were kept. Despite my best efforts, none survived.

And now I have to switch bases.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Today, 3 feet from my base, I learned that leg and arm fracture can result in severe complications when attempting to do the doggy paddle.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

I have to say the recent changes have given me a whole new fear of the deeps... the armor weighting and the damage preventing jumping means that where possible I avoid going into deep water. I've died a few times to drowning, usually because I'm trying to safely detonate a creeper and didn't notice a nearby skeleton.

But the damage sounds, inability to keep fighting for your life and a natural extreme fear of drowning....yeah, I stay out of pools more than 1 block deep now. And I never wear iron armor.
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

I had just progressed to an iron pick and sword, and after a very successful mining trip, I made the stupid mistake of attempting to return home while the sun was setting rather than wait the night out in the mine.

As I return to my desert abandoned village home, about to place the blocks in the door as I typically do rather than make an actual door for fear of zombie attack (yes I know there are better ways to do that), I notice a green flash in the corner. This was the point when Minecraft decided "you know what you need? Some framerate lag of course!", so I panic and hit the pause button just in time to hear "sssssss" from behind me. At this time, I thought "Okay, just turn around and hit the creeper, no big deal, I can repair the house damage before other mobs spawn", so I proceeded to attempt just that. It turns out that when you hear them hiss, that means they are exploding right then and there, because just as I unpause the explosion leaves me with 2.5 hearts left and a massive hole in the side of my house.

I set out to repair the hole, just in time to take an arrow in the back and realize that I never did put any blocks in the door.

Turning to face my enemy, I slowly limp towards the skeleton, sword at the ready, with my 1.5 hearts left. I get in 3 hits before the skeleton knocks me down to one half of a heart. This was the point at which I discovered yet another BTW feature, as what should have been a 4-5 hit kill normally quickly turns into 7 hits while I was injured and a pissed off skeleton who unleashes the final arrow.
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

After a good while of being a registered lurker I've decided to dip my toe in the water and I think it says a lot about my BTW skills that my first post on the official forum is to tell the tale of how I died, to a ravening horde of...

...slimes.

And Hardcore Hunger.

I was hunkered down for the evening in my latest hardcore spawn based home, waiting for the sun to rise so I could go and deal with the slime that had been bouncing around just outside the front door for half the night. I saw that the sun was rising and could hear denizens of the darkness bursting into flame with it's arrival and so, judging that the time was right to strike, I sallied forth outside to find the slime not just outside the door as I'd expected, but about ten metres away, jumping up and down (with every sign of enjoying itself) on what had been, the day before, my precious hemp crop, which now appeared to be not much more than a patch of trampled dirt with a fence around it.

Frustrated that I now had no seeds to feed my chickens, and angry that I would be back to a very basic diet of mushrooms and fish for several days, I decided to let my mighty stone axe have a quiet word with the misbehaving gelatinous blob. As I opened the gate and entered the field I discovered that the slime had a smaller accomplice, hiding behind the first, possibly ashamed of the damage it had done. Nevertheless I waded in with axe swinging, intent on turning the larger slime into bite sized chunks.

It was at this point that I discovered that slimes can apparently blend in quite well with hemp, as two more appeared in a flanking attack from amongst the relatively undamaged crop on the other side of my irrigation channel. This was the point at which I realised I was in a bit of trouble. A large and medium slime in front of me (which shortly thereafter became four mediums thanks to my axe), a large slime to my right, another moving in behind me, and the fence of my field on my left. I very quickly succumbed to the onslaught, and as I drew the first breath of my new life in a snowy wilderness, I was left with one nagging question:

Four slimes, and yet I only ever heard one of them. Does that mean slimes have more creep than creepers?

Actually two nagging questions:

Did my corpse look anything like Bill Murray in Ghostbusters?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Like many of us who've settled near an ocean biome, I tend to make forays by boat at night. I tend to think of the ocean as safe. I had forgotten the tales of the Kraken.

Suddenly, a mass of writhing tentacles erupts from beneath the waves, directly in the path of me ship. I try to steer around them, but me helmsmanship avails me naught. My poor dinghy is entangled, then ripped to driftwood by those cruel, barbed appendages, and I am dunked headfirst into the deep. Thankfully, the foul beast was content to destroy me ship, and ignored me as I swam away. But sadly, It had already been an exhausting day, and I was hungry. I swam near from midnight to sunrise, but my weak and battered body gave out before I was able to make for shore. Tired and starving, I drowned within sight of home.

Yup. I was killed because colliding with a fresh-spawned squid destroyed my boat, far enough away from land that I ran out of hunger pips and drowned.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

i sir, have been killed by a hidden skeleton in my mob trap the arrow pushed me into my own saw all i had to say to him was "job well done sir, job well done" .alas this is not the end. i went and quickly found 3 iron ore (was before the HC ores, but is the best death ive had) and made my way back from the 3 days travel. i came back and saw all my stuff was still in the hopper i had died on. so i went to grab my stuff and then all i hear was "tss" so i look turn around and see the hidden skele and the spider. they bonded in a swift beast and killed me. that was the last i ever saw of that base...
-J-

Post by -J- »

I had a particularly annoying experience. I finally got the balls to turn on hc spawn and was actually doing pretty well (all sorts of iron tools, a good stock of leather and food 'n all) and decided to go caving for diamonds. After getting half a stack of torches or so I continued towards the third level of strata when out of the blue: a creeper and not just any creeper, this was the type of creeper that spawns right in front of you and blows up instantly. So... yeah. Pretty pissed off now since this particular death had nothing to do with my incompetance or my own clumsiness, but just the fact that some of the vanilla bugs are pretty enjoyment ruining (I've had this happen before and have also had creepers despawn just a mere few blocks away from me). So yeah, go figure.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

So I'm playing BTW again after a few months absence, and decide to not be a pussy and deal with the hardcore spawn. After all, if I play right, I won't have to deal with it anyway, right?

So I'm down in this abandoned mine shaft with leather boots and a wool hat, and I come to a four way intersection. I clear the right path of its iron and wood, then notice the spider spawner around one of the corners. This cave spider spawner spits out a spider that proceeds to chase me. Now, I can't see through logs, so I didn't notice the creeper around the other corner that decided to join the party right as I turned around to kite the spider into the dead end I had already cleared. Imagine my surprise when I turn around to fight a spider and see a creeper just staring at us both.

I get poisoned, the creeper explodes, and I guess hardcore spawn isn't as bad as I thought it was. I started next to a jungle and a ravine this time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Woot! First confirmed fences to logs kill!

<carves notch in keyboard>
Popcornguy13
Location: I'm a shape-shifter in charge of a spy cult, why would I tell you?

Post by Popcornguy13 »

My story begins within the first two days of a new BTW world. I spawned in jungle, and I go off in a random direction, only to find a raided jungle temple, only a few blocks away from a river and abandoned village. I loot the temple, getting mostly rotten flesh, and proceeds towards the village. I manage to survive one night inside the forge, only to starve and die by spider the next night.
The most insidious thing in the world is nonsense that sounds just plausible enough to listen to."
—Lazav