Turntable FPS drop

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
sin6il

Turntable FPS drop

Post by sin6il »

Whenever I use a turntable timer in my base, I get a large FPS drop every time it turns. Is this just from the light updates from the redstone torch? Should lighting up all the turntables fix my FPS?
Taleric

Re: Turntable FPS drop

Post by Taleric »

Need your system specs and game settings for insight.
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41 Ghz
RAM: 2.00 Gb
Graphics card: NVidia Geforce 7600 GT
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3

View Distance: Normal
Fancy Graphics
OpenGL On
Maximum Smooth Lighting
Particles: All

Anything else needed?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

MC is the only thing running?

Also do a check with:

- All settings bottomed out
- Basic texture pack
- Check latest java version and video card driver

These are just things I do to optimize first if I run into problems.
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Java and my video card drivers are updated. I use default when playing texture pack when playing. I close Steam and Skype, because those are resource hogs. I also use a program called Razer Game Booster to close unnecessary programs to boost performance. Minecraft can run at ~80 FPS and stay stable, but the turntable drops easily halves my FPS when it turns. If there is no solution I can easily just turn them off when they are not in use. I was just making sure there is no way to fix it first.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Be sure to turn off OpenGL as well. I've no idea why Mojang included that option. Everyone on the MCF threads have reported better performance with it off other then rare cases.

Also, do you get the massive drops when smooth lighting is turned off?
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

OpenGL off does not seem to help. With smooth lighting off the drops are 10-20 FPS drop instead of 40-50 FPS drop. It is a lot less noticeable.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Looks like you hit it all, good if you can go without smooth lighting. Not sure if optifine is an option and it would be worth having the area lit to side step the constant light shift.

Have me curious now so I will do a bunch of testing with a darkened turntable area.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Definately lighting updates hitting your CPU too much. Be interested in what kind of results you'll get from torch spamming the area so it's always max light. I've no idea what routine MC uses for light calculations and culling of those calculations, but some implementations would respond well to this.

Optifine doesn't work with BTW does it?

Also, what version of MCPatcher are you using? mcpatcher-3.1.0-beta4 and above are updated to work with BTW's optimization. Earlier versions however will cause performance issues.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Can I ask how many processes you have running? It think I have the same problem as you, and I suspect it might have something to do with CPU load.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Be sure to turn off OpenGL as well. I've no idea why Mojang included that option. Everyone on the MCF threads have reported better performance with it off other then rare cases
Advanced OpenGL is occlusion culling. There are situations where it's easier to figure out that you don't have to render an item than it is to render it and then immediately draw over it - and there are situations where it's just faster to render it out and not care. Mojang's rendering code is pretty janky; FC made it better, but I'm not sure if he touched this option.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Occlusion culling seems to vastly improve performance on Macs as far as I have seen. My 2008 pro (only upgrade is from 2 to 8 gigs of RAM) performs brilliantly with occlusion culling on versus off, and my brother's computer can barely play without it on. On some systems however, I have seen occlusion culling cause stuttered performance.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go