Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh wow. Did not expect that...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Well UHC has helped Dinnerbone to balance the game a bit more. He nerfed health and regen potions,and he balanced hunger. Maybe its the beginning of extensive balancing. . . hopefully? Sadly, it will probably be a one time thing thats meant for all the people that play UHC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sin6il wrote:Maybe its the beginning of extensive balancing. . . hopefully?
Please no.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Weren't golden apples the 'proper' breeding food for horses? Conflicts with other new features aside, Wasn't it a case that, you know, no-one used golden apples anyway? Making them more expensive for an optional gamemode seems beyond silly.

Bets that he just wanted the minecrack guys to play UHC on vanilla with his skeletons?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Bets that he just wanted the minecrack guys to play UHC on vanilla with his skeletons?
Yeah, me thinks someone really needs to explain to him how his "new" skeletons are actually really lame.

Hence part of why the thought of him going on an extensive rebalancing spree is something I fear. He's displayed no capacity for being able to do it well. His concept of making things harder seems to be restricted to just making stat adjustments with no regard for the overall flavor of the game.

The weird zombie spawning rules are another good example. Heck, I'm even beginning to feel that way about mobs jumping off cliffs to get to you, as I don't think the kind of difficulty introduced by creepers dropping on you is actually fun.
Sage

Post by Sage »

*sigh* new tweet from DB: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 2881854464

That's exactly why MC is sucking right now. Because the devs are more focused on making it a mapmaking tool instead of an actual game. Why they forgot the normal survival mode?
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

the_fodder wrote:--cut--
I'm all out of criticism for Mojang or Dinnerbone at this point. Probably ran out in the Scrolls thread.

Honestly, he can add more gold to the golden apple and glistering melon recipes all he wants, nobody used golden apples anyways. Furthermore, he can waste his time adding silly ass commands and gamerules, too.

Significantly nerfing the regeneration and especially health potions is going to hurt, though, particularly when it comes to fighting the Wither, given the more fragile status of Steve in BTW. Oh boy, can't wait to have to carry twice as many health potions.

I'm going to go comfort myself by playing some more BTW on this wonderful Friday afternoon (depending on where you live).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:Significantly nerfing the regeneration and especially health potions is going to hurt, though, particularly when it comes to fighting the Wither, given the more fragile status of Steve in BTW. Oh boy, can't wait to have to carry twice as many health potions.
Bah...do you seriously think I'm going to let him mess with BTW's balance at this point? You seem to be making the assumption that I'll integrate any changes he makes, which given what I've done during recent ports to new versions of MC, is highly unlikely.
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Sage wrote:*sigh* new tweet from DB: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 2881854464

That's exactly why MC is sucking right now. Because the devs are more focused on making it a mapmaking tool instead of an actual game. Why they forgot the normal survival mode?
yeah, honestly I don't think mapmakers need any more tools. Just by looking at the MC forums you can see many different types of maps that can all be pretty fun. Vechz uses the available tool to make his Super Hostile maps, and those are really fun. From what I keep seeing, I'm beginning to think that Dinnerbone is relying on mapmakers to make minecraft better, instead of adding or changing things himself to make it better.

Side note: Does Jeb do anything with minecraft anymore, or has he basically given it to Dinnerbone?
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote:Bah...do you seriously think I'm going to let him mess with BTW's balance at this point? You seem to be making the assumption that I'll integrate any changes he makes, which given what I've done during recent ports to new versions of MC, is highly unlikely.
Was just waiting for confirmation that the almighty axe was coming for this one, too :). Though I spoke in the context of BTW and its Steve-related fragility, my pity was more directed at players of Vanilla and their encounters with the Wither (though I still doubt those are even near to being on par with the difficulty of encounters we find in BTW).
sin6il wrote:Side note: Does Jeb do anything with minecraft anymore, or has he basically given it to Dinnerbone?
Far as I am aware, Jeb is working primarily on Pocket Edition currently.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Vexalor wrote: Far as I am aware, Jeb is working primarily on Pocket Edition currently.
I guess that would explain why there was a bug fix update today, following yesterday's new release.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

hey, maybe i can be next for developer, who knows!
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Mikko_blu wrote:hey, maybe i can be next for developer, who knows!
Everybody will get a turn! . . Except for anybody who knows how to develop a good game.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

I don't even play vanilla Minecraft anymore. I don't know why the people on the forums love these updates so much.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

woeuntoyou wrote:I don't even play vanilla Minecraft anymore. I don't know why the people on the forums love these updates so much.
I suppose it is interesting to see what we would be (or have long given up on) playing without the discovery of Better Than Wolves. I visit this site more than any other Minecraft site anyway, so the news updates are nice.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

EpicAaron wrote:
woeuntoyou wrote:I don't even play vanilla Minecraft anymore. I don't know why the people on the forums love these updates so much.
I suppose it is interesting to see what we would be (or have long given up on) playing without the discovery of Better Than Wolves. I visit this site more than any other Minecraft site anyway, so the news updates are nice.
The reason I started playing Minecraft was because of EthosLab's old Minecraft LP (back in beta). I was really disappointed when I bought Minecraft in 1.2.5 because it was nothing like the old Minecraft that I wanted. I played it anyways, but got bored really fast. I found out I could downgrade my client so I did. After playing months on 1.7.3, I got bored so I started looking for good mods. A lot of people suggested Tekkit, but it wasn't really that good. It was just a bunch of stuff crammed together. I found BTW just about a month ago and I'm loving it.

Breaking news: new to the snapshot - zombie hordes.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/184 ... ry22799323
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Well, it would appear that people complained about the golden apple. I believe the potions (Health and Regeneration) are still nerfed, but the standard golden apple has now been upgraded to Regeneration II, so it regenerates the same amount as before, and additionally has an entirely new status effect: Health Boost, which increases the player's maximum health for a short period of time.

Also, zombies now aggro when they simply come into the player's view radius, and will form "hordes" with other nearby zombies. Further, that weird extra zombie spawn mechanic now happens not just when a zombie is hurt, but when a zombie is not within the player's view, but is in near the player (so when the player isn't looking).

These are some pretty big changes for a 'b' version of single snapshot, and some interesting changes at that. I'm very much interested what other people think about these changes.
Sage

Post by Sage »

It's funny how the people on the MCF are complaining about the new apple recipe ("Dinnerbone ruined easy mode"), or the new food depletion when healing ("now I will have to carry food"). I would pay to have FC working on the next MC update just to see the reactions!
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

"Would pay to have FC work on next MC update"

I would predict a tsunami of delicious tears :P

Poor vMC has gone to far to be saved IMO. I place my gaming hopes after BTW on RTH and long shots like Maia, X3-Rebirth, ect.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

I just read that, to heal half a heart in the new snapshot (remember healing now costs hunger), it costs four times as much as a sprinting jump would, sixteen times as much as normal jumping, and three hundred times as much as walking. Does anybody else think that this seems just a bit excessive?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Not really. With the excessively small hunger costs for doing those things, it means there's an actual reason to worry about food in vMC.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Sage wrote:It's funny how the people on the MCF are complaining about the new apple recipe ("Dinnerbone ruined easy mode"), or the new food depletion when healing ("now I will have to carry food"). I would pay to have FC working on the next MC update just to see the reactions!
Shit, I just realized the primary reason I watch vanilla minecraft is for that schadenfreude. Either at the unsuspecting hordes when Mojang actually tries to make the game harder or mojang when they make an unusually bad feature and get retaliation from the fans.
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

Stormweaver wrote:...it means there's an actual reason to worry about food in vMC.
I found this, to me vanilla survival seems more like creative to me, whereas BTW is the real survival mode. I guess any steps they make to add to the survival element of actual vMC survival is a step in the right direction, although they may be going the wrong way about it.
IGN: Matthew_OJ
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I honestly wouldn't know what to do with vanilla anymore if I were in Mojang's shoes. There's been too many features in recent releases that break what I consider to be rather fundamental aspects of the game, and which the public has now become dependent upon in their builds.

I just considered it briefly, and it only gave me a headache trying to wrap my head around what would need to be done.
Flallen

Post by Flallen »

I've always felt that vanilla MC would be a lot more enjoyable if there was more diversity of food options and farming was more complex. Fishing needs some love too. My minecraft worlds often have large scale farms on them.

I mentioned this once on the MCF and was quickly informed that that was too complicated for vanilla.

Most of the changes I have seen haven't been to my interest. I like seeing new structures in world gen, but only if they make sense and preferably are in some way interactive. It took me ages to find a witches hut, and I still haven't found a mushroom biome, so exploration points like that excite me a bit.