Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
barcode

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by barcode »

FlowerChild wrote:The main problem with jungles IMO is that mobs can't spawn on leaves (for obvious reasons...they'd be up in the trees all the time otherwise), and Mojang, seemingly oblivious to that, went and created a biome that has its ground almost entirely covered in them. Of course, nobody tends to notice this in vanilla, because everyone is sleeping through the night cozy in their beds, so you don't wind up encountering above ground mobs in general very often anyways.

Otherwise, I think jungles would be rather dangerous due to the overhead canopy which would shelter mobs from direct sunlight much more than in other biomes, and given your limited visibility in them.

I'll likely do something to rectify this in BTW, as at present, it turns jungles into a form of safe zone from mobs, which feels contrary to their nature.
Oh boy, I'm looking forward to that! ;)

Yeah, the first time I encountered jungles, I was constantly alerted, tiptoeing around. Some spots seemed dark enough for mobs to spawn, even during the day, and you can get lost really fast with all the vegetation. Of course I got lost in there right away, and then comes the night. I was panicking, trying like mad to find a tree I could climb up. With all the vines, that worked rather well, found one, climbed up on the wrong side, tried to get around to the other side, fell down hard and almost died from that before I got up there, threw some torches up to be safe..... to then realize that hardly ANY mobs spawned in jungle biomes at all at night. The magic was gone instantly.

But to me, the same effect occured with water. Big oceans are just a matter of time before you cross them, but there is no danger involved. Yes, you need to navigate around the squids, that can be annyoing, but it's in no way dangerous. To counter that, all you need to do is take a few boats with you. They cost nothing anyways, couple o' planks. I like big oceans, i lived near an ocean IRL for a while and it reminds me of that, I can almost feel the cold breeze and smell the salty air there, but the ocean is nothing that deserves any respect or fear in Minecraft, which is a shame. It's just empty.
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

This was posted at the vMC-Forum and I thought it could be interesting for some people:

https://gist.github.com/Dinnerbone/5662824
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Kezza wrote:This was posted at the vMC-Forum and I thought it could be interesting for some people:

https://gist.github.com/Dinnerbone/5662824
That's awesome. I won't have to use a mod to change my sound pack anymore.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Do you think villagers will be speaking soon?
jeb_ wrote:In the next snapshot, your favourite mutes will no longer be mutes #minecraft (ping @C418)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

I seriously hope that if they do, it won't be normal voices, but more the mumblings of the swedish chef.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Graphite wrote:I seriously hope that if they do, it won't be normal voices, but more the mumblings of the swedish chef.
Or maybe something along the lines of the trumpeting adults in charlie brown. Although I really can't see Mojang letting them actually talk. Villager behavior isn't sophisticated enough to justify speaking in coherent sentences.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

If he's meaning creepers, I'll throw myself out my window. Then get back inside my room since it's on the ground level, and punch something several times. Probably a pillow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:If he's meaning creepers, I'll throw myself out my window. Then get back inside my room since it's on the ground level, and punch something several times. Probably a pillow.
Then breath a sigh of relief safe in the knowledge that I'd never let that happen to BTW :)
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

it could also be the squids, wish wouldn't be that bad
Mud

Post by Mud »

My money is on Villagers. I image a muffled-old-man-gibberish type voice.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ceunon wrote:If he's meaning creepers, I'll throw myself out my window. Then get back inside my room since it's on the ground level, and punch something several times. Probably a pillow.
Then breath a sigh of relief safe in the knowledge that I'd never let that happen to BTW :)
I'll admit that I did let out a small "whew".

Now that I think of it, I suppose even jeb wouldn't be that crazy to throw out the window one of Minecraft's most popular icon's biggest flavors. He was probably talking about testificates. Though I can't really imagine Mojang making them do anything other than talking in a flat, nose-blocked speech ("Hai").
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I can imagine them doing the "Simlish" thing. I really don't think they need it, and would need a lot more interesting behavior in order to really make it work, but whatever...it's vanilla... ;)
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

It's a pretty cool idea to use resource packs. However, I'm holding my breath.
FlowerChild wrote:I can imagine them doing the "Simlish" thing. I really don't think they need it, and would need a lot more interesting behavior in order to really make it work, but whatever...it's vanilla... ;)
I liked living with villagers in SSP, it makes it feel not so lonely. But dear god, if they do that, I'm going to eventually kill all of them
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Mikko_blu wrote:It's a pretty cool idea to use resource packs. However, I'm holding my breath.
FlowerChild wrote:I can imagine them doing the "Simlish" thing. I really don't think they need it, and would need a lot more interesting behavior in order to really make it work, but whatever...it's vanilla... ;)
I liked living with villagers in SSP, it makes it feel not so lonely. But dear god, if they do that, I'm going to eventually kill all of them
Then you could just edit your resource pack and make your villagers mute again.

I kinda like the idea of resource packs, from all the positive opinions about Matmos soundpacks. playing custom sounds for effects could be interesting. Grinding netherrack can be less grating or more horrifying.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

DiamondArms wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:It's a pretty cool idea to use resource packs. However, I'm holding my breath.
Then you could just edit your resource pack and make your villagers mute again.

I kinda like the idea of resource packs, from all the positive opinions about Matmos soundpacks. playing custom sounds for effects could be interesting. Grinding netherrack can be less grating or more horrifying.
i suppose.

I'm not holding my breath. Just because Mojang say's they're gonna do resource packs, does not mean at all that they will.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

yup villagers, horses and donkeys all make noise and it is annoying as heck. short video with the annoying sounds in the spoiler.
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by destineternel on Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sad...
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

oh my god i hate it
devak

Post by devak »

Please tell me that's "i replaced every sound in MC with my voice" guy and not real Mojang stuff....
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Haha I like it! (They could reduce the frequency a little) I guess I'll be the only one... Oh come on its about as annoying as cows and no were near as irritating as the click noise chickens make, don't get too irate its just a sound.
Psion

Post by Psion »

no no, don't go easy on it. It's at LEAST as irritating as the clicking sounds chickens make.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Yeah and you can find none of the animals near my damn house
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That can't be serious. Actually, I was convinced it wasn't serious, then I watched the horse portion of the video, and it was so amateurish, that I began to believe the villager noises might be real.

Yikes.
Sage

Post by Sage »

OMG. I'm laughing like an idiot while listening to them. It's so bad but it's so good XD
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

This was actually the first time I forced myself to watch a video with horses. Oh gods. What the hell are they doing with Minecraft?

About the sounds: Not *that* bad if you hear them once or twice, but after 30 seconds or so they got really annoying. *sigh*