Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Steam Sales

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote:The creator of that game also made a survival-turn based strategy-zombie game called Rebuild, which I was mildly obsessed with for a long time, despite the fact that it's just an internet flash game :)
That's how I first found it too :)

As I've mentioned before, I'm a bit of a zombie addict. For anyone that tries Rebuild though, just go for Rebuild 2 as it's basically the same game with added features.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Eurgh damn you treeguards! But still day 8 first attempt. Sorry if this is off-topic, didn't feel like necroing one of the many DS threads.

Although on that note I can confirm Don't Starve is 20% off, not sure when it started. And, depending upon my friends, I may have a free code for it too.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote: Although on that note I can confirm Don't Starve is 20% off, not sure when it started.
That's what I was saying man. It's *always* been 20% off as far back as I remember :)

I think they do that to keep it listed on the specials page, but I know that every time I check the specials, there it is. It might just be the "pre-release" price or something, as the game isn't officially out yet, but now's a good time to buy, as I believe the release version comes out next month.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I finally gave in and bought Don't Starve, which included the extra copy. So, I got my tf2 promo items, and I sold the extra copy for 3 keys. That's right, once the promos become tradeable, I will have made a profit, and gotten a new game in the process :)
johnt

Post by johnt »

anyone playing prison architect? It looks pretty dwarf fortress-y to me.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Natural Selection 2 is free this weekend. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things :D
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Seeing as I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, I should note that Antichamber is currently 40% off.

I find it has the same kind of "figure it out for yourself" appeal to it's puzzle mechanics as BTW's mechanical power, redstone, and automated contraptions so I'd recommend it to people who enjoy that aspect of the Mod.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Reviving this old thread to say XCOM is on sale for 66% off. DLCs are also at discount.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Dunno if anyones said this yet but...
DON'T STARVE. ON SALE. 10% OFF. GO.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Deadspace 1 & 2 are available for $10 ($5 each). Anyone have any experience with these games? Worth getting?
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote:Deadspace 1 & 2 are available for $10 ($5 each). Anyone have any experience with these games? Worth getting?
I played the first through years ago. My reaction was largely "meh". If I remember correctly, it was a solid game, but didn't have anything that particularly impressed me. I think it basically struck me as a similar game to BioShock (the first one), but not quite as interesting.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Dead Space 3 has the best crafting system in any game I played so far, much better than Fallout's crap. Other than that, the game was mediocre, but good. I've heard that 1&2 are better, so for that price, sounds like you should buy. Take notice that 1&2 don't have the awesome crafting system.

I would buy em too, except I already own DS3 on Origin, so buying the other 2 on Steam wouldn't be my preferred option.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Technically on sale, Skyward Collapse was released just a few days ago. Don't expect pretty graphics or fancy animations, but the gameplay is a heck of a lot of fun.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Get 7 games on Steam for less than $10.
  • Hotline Miama
  • Proteus
  • Little Inferno
  • Awesomenauts
  • Capsized
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Dear Esther
link: Humble Bundle 8
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're really pushing the definition of what a "Steam Sale" is with the above man.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Rome: Total War is currently on sale for 1$. Oui oui, one dollar.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That was a good game!
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Sarudak wrote:That was a good game!
Indeed, it was a very good game; I still play it every once in a while. I'm guessing they put it on sale for so little because the second one is apparently coming out in a couple of months. In fact, I have to verify, but I believe Valve intends to have a short-time sale on that one when it comes out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gnomoria is 50% off right now, and Kerbal Space Program 33% off. Looks like it's a good weekend for our kind of games :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Gnomoria is 50% off right now, and Kerbal Space Program 33% off. Looks like it's a good weekend for our kind of games :)
I thought you didn't care for Gnomoria? Have you played it perhaps? I was curious about it...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I thought you didn't care for Gnomoria? Have you played it perhaps? I was curious about it...
Well, I'm getting a little tired of the Dwarf Fortress rip-offs out there, and am finding they're bringing very little that's new to the table and are mostly just being designed around the concept of "make DF with graphics", right down to adopting some of the lesser design choices in DF verbatim (like how things are "zoned" or how storage is designated). It's obvious that they aren't really thinking things through for themselves, but just copying what's already there.

Frankly, I'd love to play "DF with graphics", but so far have just found games like Towns and Gnomoria to not just be clones, but clones that are lesser than the original, which get to be sold on Steam while the author of DF continues to toil in relative obscurity and for relatively little cash. Frankly, I find that kind of offensive, despite being unable to comprehend why Toady doesn't spend some time on interface and presentation so that it would be a non-issue instead of pursuing tangents like adventure mode.

The only one so far that I feel really begins to move things forward and create its own vibe is Timber & Stone. When I'm playing it, I actually feel like it's a game in its own right. Even then though, there are many areas where it being a clone of DF kind of slaps you in the face.

So yeah, given the above, I wasn't even willing to pay 8$ for Gnomoria, but given I'm going to be developing my own game in the same broad genre as these with RTH, for 4$ I'm definitely willing to give it a shot just to see if they did have any unique ideas along the way.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Well, I won't be buying this anytime soon anyway, but if you get to play and have a positive experience I'd be interested to hear about it.

There are two DF'ish games I'm really looking forward to: Maia and Clockwork Empires. CE specially. If they make half the game they promised to create, it will be pretty nice...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm personally looking forward to Prison Architect. It's still a little too pricey for me to consider purchasing at present, but I have a great deal of respect for Introversion, and know that if they're making a "DF clone", they at least have the design talent and experience to do it right.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I saw a couple of videos of Prison Architect a few months ago... It did look pretty cool. Kinda made me wanna build Prison Break's Sona XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It turns out a friend of mine gifted me a copy of Prison Architect as a belated birthday present, and I spent the last few hours with it.

It's very much in an unfinished state, but yeah, already, it's a great take on the DF concept. One issue that I always saw with DF is it's very difficult to design systems where a threat is trying to get into your base and be able to take into account the myriad traps and barricades that the player can create to foil that. DF gets around that partially by requiring you to leave a passage open in order to maintain trade, but still...you get to a certain point where your fortress becomes relatively impregnable.

Architect turns that on its ear by instead having you try to contain a threat (the prisoners), while simultaneously requiring you to tend to their needs, which IMO makes it much more interesting

Anyways, definitely some cool stuff in the works there.