Better Wolves Spoiler thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Aesc

Re: Better Wolves Spoiler thread

Post by Aesc »

Pucc wrote:"I hope you're wearing your heat-be-gone booties."
Man, thanks for reminding me. I don't want my Dave's Syndrome to flare up again.

The howling is excellent. I haven't gotten far enough to say any more than that. Scared me half to death when I heard it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol...fucking awesome...seriously....I just died in a most excellent way :)

So, in my previous wolf infested area, I wound up actually dying to zombies just as I was about to descend into the third strata, complete with iron pick. Unfortunately, I think the cave I was exploring neighbored on a zombie spawner, as zombies kept popping up around me, despite me having fully lit the area, eventually overcoming me.

Onto the next spawn. Once again, a wooded area, but this time, non snowy. I spawned rather late in the day, so after punching a few trees, dug down into the earth sans tools, and started digging at the dirt with my hands to collect as many blocks as possible for the next day. Throughout the night...heard an awful lot of howling.

Awhile later, I dug a single block hole to see if it was getting close to dawn (which it was). I decided to wait just a bit longer, and dig a few more dirt blocks before heading outside.

While digging, I was forcefully reminded that wolves can fit through 1 block holes. I should have known this of course, since it's one of the things I designed Better Wolves around, but at least I was glad to be reassured that it is indeed working as intended :)
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

On my 4.0 world, I hear wolves howling in the taiga. After a night of this, I was unnerved enough to go level it with fire for visibility. Still I can't find them.

I think my terror meter is maxing out. This is brillient... even more terrifying than summoned ghasts from BTW alchemy mistakes, and that's saying something.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

utakataJ6 wrote: I think my terror meter is maxing out. This is brillient... even more terrifying than summoned ghasts from BTW alchemy mistakes, and that's saying something.
Hehe...thanks man. During the development phase of this thing, I didn't have the chance to do a proper play-through from the start with it. I tested every aspect, but was lacking the overall context other than in my mind's eye.

Now that I'm taking the time to do a play-through from start, I'm having a ball with it myself, including the moments of terror. Having three starving wolves suddenly scramble into my hidey hole amongst them :)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Anyone tried fertilizing plants with green poo?
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh fuck...I just heard it...

<cries like a little girl>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Given my sensation just now, it occurs to me that I may have recreated a video game moment from my youth here...

destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh fuck...I just heard it...

<cries like a little girl>

I think I heard it too.
Spoiler
Show
ok I've heard the howling but I was hiding in my underground base at night and heard a very low pitched growl I've never heard before. Holy Crap! FC for the first time ever I got goose bumps and shivers down my back. *slow clap* I don't want to go outside at night now, thanks!
Edit: wandering in a forest during the day I heard it too. I think I just want to hide in a tree now. :/
Last edited by destineternel on Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote: I think I heard it too.
I can hear it growling outside my base right now and I think I just want to hide in a 2X1 hole for awhile :)

And you're welcome ;)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I see what you were getting at with your reference to the Device(TM) video now!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

what the heck am I missing here? I'm trying everything I can think of to craft these socks. The things i've tried, and i mean the sheer number of different recipes i've exhausted, I SHOULD have come up with something even by accident if they were just simply crafted at the anvil or table with wool only.

I'm now trying crazy things like using companion cubes as mannequines and sucking up live wolves with wool already in the bd. I know it won't work. but it's better than staring at the crafting grid in dismay.

been tooling around with combinations of half slabs, padded fabric and more. Striking it empty.
Now i'm feeling like with the knowledge of other accessories which shall go unnamed, I definitely should have stumbled onto something. Which leads me to think that whatever ties these recipes together is so logical and simple that when I get it, it's going to be like a jigsaw falling into place.

<resumes staring at crafting grid and attempting outside the box thinking.>
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Here's another flash from the past. Pretty much the most scariest Dire Wolf of my childhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKiwYk6y ... =endscreen

Although I doubt Steve will have any sort of deep and meaningful conversations with the Dire Wolves he meets but the Minecraft world does hold some similarities to Fantasia. The clip is from the film Never-ending Story.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Well, I must say, the inclusion of this feature has certainly provided me with a lot of enjoyment, for reasons known to some.

Though I have heard about 15 wolves starting up a concert choir in the nearby forest on a full moon, which I interpreted loosely as STAY THE FUCK AWAY AND NEVER RETURN.
FlowerChild wrote:Oh fuck...I just heard it...
You tease! I might just have to go back, now...
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

mogulus wrote:what the heck am I missing here? I'm trying everything I can think of to craft these socks. The things i've tried, and i mean the sheer number of different recipes i've exhausted, I SHOULD have come up with something even by accident if they were just simply crafted at the anvil or table with wool only.

I'm now trying crazy things like using companion cubes as mannequines and sucking up live wolves with wool already in the bd. I know it won't work. but it's better than staring at the crafting grid in dismay.

been tooling around with combinations of half slabs, padded fabric and more. Striking it empty.
Now i'm feeling like with the knowledge of other accessories which shall go unnamed, I definitely should have stumbled onto something. Which leads me to think that whatever ties these recipes together is so logical and simple that when I get it, it's going to be like a jigsaw falling into place.

<resumes staring at crafting grid and attempting outside the box thinking.>
I feel you - I even tried using wood bark or padding as soles or starching wool in cauldron with bonemeal in order to make it harder, worst part is I tried to quit several times after concluding I am probably thinking in wrong direction and pause would help me clear my mind yet I'm addicted to finding solution and spent pretty much my whole afternoon and large potion of last night trying to figure it out. I fear it is something ridiculously simple and I will feel like a fool once I know the recipe.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

You play btw Long enough and come to realize there is a high value of logic to your thought process. I figured out alt nether groth after a bit of time no problem and that wasn't this hard. I'm wondering now if I have to make a needle out of iron nuggets and use them like scissors in the crafting recipe to "sew" the wool.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

I doubt it - if so, FC would probably apply same logic to all wool armor, im expecting it has something to do with making it more durable in some way to make it more fit for concurring terrain, yet if I where right I would probably discover the recipe by now...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Maybe it has something to do with Tallow to make it easier to put the booties on the wolfsie footsie wootsies?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pucc wrote:Here's another flash from the past. Pretty much the most scariest Dire Wolf of my childhood.
BTW: Who says it's called a Dire Wolf?

This has come up a few times in this thread, and I wince with each one, as there is no in-game naming of the creature you are referring to. I suspect you're just taking the name from the data files I have associated with it, as I had to call it *something* in the code, and if anything chose to mislead through the name I used there.

But yes...just to say: that's not what it's called.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

i guess people go with the "dire" thing in mankind's ongoing quest to see "game of thrones" in everything. A quest I will never abandon.

oh by the way. do you know how long I've begged in my head for someone to make moon phases relevant to anything other than slime accumulation? You've given me two in one month. One of which could very well kill me repeatedly. For that I thank you :)

<resumes staring at crafting table with renewed vigor.>
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW: Who says it's called a Dire Wolf?
Could've sworn I saw a screenshot at some point that mentioned "killed by a dire wolf" but I can't find it anymore. Must've been dreaming. If it has another name, I'd suggest using that name now or people will just stick with the dire wolf thing and you'll just keep wincing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: Could've sworn I saw a screenshot at some point that mentioned "killed by a dire wolf" but I can't find it anymore. Must've been dreaming. If it has another name, I'd suggest using that name now or people will just stick with the dire wolf thing and you'll just keep wincing.
There's a bug that displays the file name of the entity when you're killed by one right now.

And no, I won't name it. That's part of the point of it not having a name :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:And no, I won't name it. That's part of the point of it not having a name :)
All things nameless will end up named sooner or later and in this case "dire wolf" seems to stick. Anyhow, you gotta admit that "the nameless horror" doesn't roll off the tongue quite so easily as "dire wolf". :P
Last edited by Graphite on Mon May 27, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devak

Post by devak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Graphite wrote: Could've sworn I saw a screenshot at some point that mentioned "killed by a dire wolf" but I can't find it anymore. Must've been dreaming. If it has another name, I'd suggest using that name now or people will just stick with the dire wolf thing and you'll just keep wincing.
There's a bug that displays the file name of the entity when you're killed by one right now.

And no, I won't name it. That's part of the point of it not having a name :)
This makes me think of the odyssey. "i am nobody" and the cyclops going "nobody stabbed me!"

"<player name> was killed by absolutely nothing"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The kill message is supposed to refer to "the beast", so if you need a name, that's as good a one as any :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: All things nameless will end up named sooner or later and in this case "dire wolf" seems to stick. Anyhow, you gotta admit that "the nameless horror" doesn't roll off the tongue quite so easily as "dire wolf". :P
Well, the issue is that naming something takes something away from it to be sure, especially a name that has so many references in existing fiction.

In retrospect, I really regret not calling it "Phillip" or something similar in the code so that it would be clear that how it was being referenced wasn't actually its name ;)