Request for sheep eating grass to trigger the buddy block.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
ehsanmp

Request for sheep eating grass to trigger the buddy block.

Post by ehsanmp »

Firstly, I feel I need to apologise for my misconduct on the forums and I have that inside the spoiler tags.
Spoiler
Show
I apologise to FC for reporting this as a bug at first. I wrongly assumed that when the block turns from grass to dirt it would count as a block update and that would have triggered the buddy block regardless, but it was a vanilla issue, I was wrong and I stand corrected on the matter.
Back to standard procedure of keeping suggestions concise.

Grass turning to dirt when a sheep eats it does not trigger the buddy block as of the moment.

This means that buddy triggered wool farming machines have to rely on the signal from the grass growing back before they suck up the wool, which could be done as soon as the sheep gets its wool from eating instead.

Although the machines still function without it, there could be scope to registering grass eating updates that I haven't considered.
Rob

Re: Request for sheep eating grass to trigger the buddy bloc

Post by Rob »

At the risk of my stupid showing, wouldn't updating on eat, mean it would then update again on spread, meaning the bud would place a wool block, suffocating your sheep?
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Rob wrote:At the risk of my stupid showing, wouldn't updating on eat, mean it would then update again on spread, meaning the bud would place a wool block, suffocating your sheep?
It's OK, the sheep are taller than one block, so they won't suffocate in it. There are ways to have your circuit ignore the grass-growth bud pulse too.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

If I may, I do remember back ages ago before a lot of the newer hc updates and especially the 1.5 update that the buddy block did indeed update on grass spread/eat because I know for a fact in one of my old worlds I made a wool shearing house that worked on this principle. and if I search the forums I think I can even find pictures of it. Gimme a sec.

Here it is, found it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3574&p=81775&hilit=sheep#p81775

So unless this got removed, I do remember that this used to work that way.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

To what purpose would you want this change/restoration of function? If the buddy is updating on grass spread anyways then the wool mahine works fine. You also won't get higher outputs...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's fine. It's easy. Will go in.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

One thing to note guys: It appears Mojang ripped out a bunch of block-updates as part of their attempts to get rid of vanilla Buds with 1.5. This will also affect Buddy as he's basically just a vanilla Bud in a "legit" form.

Just post a suggestion if you notice any such updates missing, and I'll add them back in. They're individually very quick for me to do (just need to change a line of code generally), I just need to know about them.

Obviously, don't spam me with such requests "just because", but if you have a use for a particular update, I'll be happy to oblige.