New Release! (BTW V4.80)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
sky_demon

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.80)

Post by sky_demon »

FlowerChild wrote: -Removed spider silk to wool conversion recipes from both regular crafting and the Cauldron. Silk and wool are now considered to be two separate materials entirely. This was done to further promote farming sheep for wool.
Very nice. Before I just lived of my spider farm. heh, great work.
Six

Post by Six »

sky_demon wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: -Removed spider silk to wool conversion recipes from both regular crafting and the Cauldron. Silk and wool are now considered to be two separate materials entirely. This was done to further promote farming sheep for wool.
Very nice. Before I just lived of my spider farm. heh, great work.
I had an even more bizarre line of production.

Regular mob far sans spiders -> skeletons -> bows + stoked cauldron -> string + normal cauldron -> wool.

Glad to see the change, sheep were of zero concern to be before.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Looted temples... it hurts so good...
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Man I an really loving the stratification! Keep up the great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
foreman

Post by foreman »

I've come to appreciate my shovel on a whole new level while caving with the stratification. Clearing the dirt and gravel eats up my early cobble but it is worth it to find that next cave or hidden ore.

Thanks for a new level of awesome.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

foreman wrote:I've come to appreciate my shovel on a whole new level while caving with the stratification. Clearing the dirt and gravel eats up my early cobble but it is worth it to find that next cave or hidden ore.

Thanks for a new level of awesome.
Word. That's really what I was shooting for, and why I referred to shovels as a "bastard child" amongst the tools.

I was just watching the first episode of Icy's 4.8 fresh start LP, and was very happy to see him just fairly naturally using shovels (he even caught himself digging a block of dirt by hand at some point and said "why am I doing that?"), as observing his play with a previous release was what triggered the realization that some people were largely ignoring the tool.

I think that sometimes I have a tendency to play MC as I would *like* it to work, thus I don't make these realizations myself until I see someone else playing. I always used shovels because they seemed like the "proper" tool to use given the situation, and I never really considered it beyond that, or really realized they were largely unnecessary. Still, I had been considering giving people the piles for quite awhile now (largely as a way to balance the Hopper gravel to sand conversion, but I haven't gotten to that part yet), and watching someone else play gave me the required push towards implementing them.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Finally got moved into my new place and had a chance to sit down and play the new update. Strat is awesome. It gives a great feel to delving down into the depths of the earth and gives it an extra sense of danger. Something about the slightly darker stone just makes me a bit more nervous. That coupled with the fact that I can't break it.

There's so much more preparation involved now. You need to make sure you have enough stone/picks so you can get as much iron as possible while down there and, as was said above, keep a bunch of dirt/gravel on you as its your only way to navigate some of it.

--edit for spelling--
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote:I was just watching the first episode of Icy's 4.8 fresh start LP
I watched his LP as well, and my fear of all these harsh looking updates vanished like snow before the sun. I finally updated MC to 1.5.1 + BTW 4.80b and started a new world.
I was amazed at how cool survival now is. You only need to let go of your old MC mindset, and suddenly it's a whole new game altogether. I really liked how you avoid conflict at the beginning, and feel really badass when you slay your first skeletons.
Spoiler
Show
I was also happy as a child when a spider flung his spidergoo at me. I didn't know they did that yet! It really completes the NPC for me, as something always seemed to be missing in spiders.
I also immensly enjoyed the hunt for iron. Sometimes I had to leave some iron behind because night was coming or because a cave became too dangerous. The best thing was that I didn't mind at all. It didn't feel like a loss, because it was the best choice to make. The constant "weighing" of your options and decision making involved with everything you do, make you feel as if you're doing something significant or important. This in turn, in the end, makes you really appreciate every choice you made when all your preparation and planning comes to fruition and you can finally settle down. Amazing! The only thing I still don't enjoy is HC spawning. But you can turn that off! Which I usually forget to do, and end up getting HC spawned anyway :(
-J-

Post by -J- »

Love the new stone types. Gave me a real reason to build a mattock and to escalate my soul urn production. Now I just need a silk touch to pick those fuckers up. So, in short: thank you, FC, for yet another great update! Much appreciated and so forth.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."