Packed Earth at lower Stratification levels

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Pucc

Packed Earth at lower Stratification levels

Post by Pucc »

Suggestion: As above. Basically make dirt conform to the stratification changes.

Aim: To provide a risk, reward scenario for dirt collection. Those wishing to create dirt paths or simply terraform have the option of collecting dirt on the surface at low risk but lower rate or in the depths at a high risk (mobs, lava etc) and higher rate. Tool requirements I'm not too sure on but the change should provide the dirt to "fit" better with the deep underground aesthetics.

Note: I realise this will require another terrain generation edit but since the update is new it warranted the suggestion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Packed Earth at lower Stratification levels

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I thought about that while working on the last release.

First, I wouldn't want to do it with the existing packed earth, as that's a mod block, and would thus leave holes in people's worlds if they were to play them without the mod. Which would mean coming up with alternate metadata values for the vanilla dirt block similar to what I'm doing for stone. Then you get into the additional complications of how grass and other vegetation reacts to it and that kind of thing, since given it would just vary in metadata, the existing vanilla code for such things would just treat it as normal dirt.

Honestly, I just don't think it's worth the hassle as the impact on gameplay would be minimal. Dirt is not exactly a resource that you wind up lacking once you get past a certain point in the game, and basically making it more abundant would act counter to the pile changes I made recently to encourage shovel use. My general feeling on it then is that this would just complicate things further for no significant payoff.