I hate this crap

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Benanov

I hate this crap

Post by Benanov »

Spoiler
Show
This isn't a rant about BTW using ad-sponsored services. This is a rant about ads mocking UI widgets of the client in an attempt to get people to treat it like a real pop-up window.

As you can see, this fails miserably on my system.

Normal users have no chance to defend themselves against this and probably end up installing a load of crap. I still can't figure out why ad networks won't turn this stuff down. I guess the money's too good.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Xeo

Re: I hate this crap

Post by Xeo »

Navigating download pages is certainly an art, especially when there are 50 adds all saying download now and a single hypertext link at the center. I consider myself good at navigating these but I know people who would click on every link that comes up, I shudder to think what would happen if they regularly used these kinds of sites.

I feel like if add services started turning down these kinds of adds they would lose over half of their customers. I do appreciate sites that use "alternative" add services though, sometimes I've even found cool things through them.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Tell me about it. You reach the download page, but there's 5 download buttons/links... and they're all fake! The real link is a small "Download" hyperlink in the bottom of the page. It's ridiculous.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Adblock is really helpful in this cases. I don't see a single ad when downloading things.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

These are fairly easy to learn how to navigate. The ones that are truely dispictable are the ones that pretend to be a virus scanner. I'd had to clean several computers after people have installed the "scanner" client. Not cool. Especially how they take over the entire browser window and not just integrate into the ad display. You lose your history and can't back out.

I also hate the Yes/No dialogs and the warning that you're "Leaving The Page" that the browser displays when you try to hard close the window.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

It's probably a necessity for those types of ads to attempt to disguise themselves like that, so they can catch unsuspecting people off guard, as I can't imagine many people would click them otherwise.

Seeing how that one doesn't match your system at all reminds me of ones I've seen that imitate Windows XP, which sort of stick out when I'm on Windows 7. If they are going to insist on imitating the user's UI, they should at least do it right, or preferably not at all.
Last edited by ignika42 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

ignika42 wrote:Seeing how that one doesn't match your system at all reminds me of ones I've seen that imitate Windows XP, which sort of stick out when on Windows 7.
The astute will notice that I'm running GNOME 2 as my Window Manager. The really astute will wonder "what the fuck is Iceweasel?"
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.