Hardcore Furnaces

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Retsamassa455

Hardcore Furnaces

Post by Retsamassa455 »

Crafting/cooking/smelting stations are “broken”(drop one major item used in their crafting) when they are mined with the appropriate tool or collected using a block dispenser. They will also no longer stack in the inventory. Increase furnace value by having it be crafted with a mob drop. Add firepit, a cheap, slow, early game cooking station that can only cook food. The furnace can only be fueled with coal or charcoal.

This puts more strain on coal and wood as a resource, makes one think before they simply place a furnace, which would now be relatively valuable early game, encourages resource gathering or a surplus before each night as a nomad. It also makes Iron tools more difficult to get as a nomad and in general, and increases the value of established bases by having them be something that you cannot simply pack-up and leave. It also simply makes more sense to have to build a firepit each night and not carry around a large, clunky furnace while traveling as a nomad. It will also further punish last minute runs to shelter as night comes, as more preparation is now required(in terms of wood needed). It will make silk touch more valuable for using to move valuable crafting stations in the late game. I will also provide further incentive to build a cauldron, as the player can either wait a very long time with the firepit, or will have to use coal.

Also, I apologize for this one post account. I don't really like posting on forums, but I’ve been running this idea around in my mind for about a month or so, and I think its worthy of being posted.
The Lord of Brick

Re: Hardcore Furnaces

Post by The Lord of Brick »

I like.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm. Not sure the rebalanced early game has been around long enough for this kind of suggestion yet. The low-tech furnace bit I do like, and putting the normal furnace a little later on I like - Their value should be more in efficiency and permanency than being able to smelt different items though.

The suggestion would have had a better chance at a good reception in a few weeks though. Right now, I doubt it's chances.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Six

Post by Six »

The wording seemed a little unclear to me, but I like the idea of workbench / furnace type blocks being non-stackable and breaking unless using silk-touch or BDs.
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

I guess the furnace is already supposed to be the
cheap, slow, early game cooking station
As it also work as light early in the game
not carry around a large, clunky furnace while traveling as a nomad
Interesting and realistic, but this would also apply to other "heavy" items (ex. carrying doors, anvils,...)

So, i'm not sure about this idea...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

While it's not a terrible idea, just a few days ago FC changed the game dramatically. Furnaces now require you to go through most of an entire log and forgo the building of three additional picks to obtain. While this sort of thing may have fit in a month ago, the furnace has now been made precious by other means and is the early game alternative to a cauldron.

Also, a stove that won't burn wood is a bit silly no matter what lens you look through.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, not terrible, but not appropriate to where the mod is at or where I intend it to go.