New Release! (BTW V4.70)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.70)

Post by DaveYanakov »

Thank you for making ugly pillars dotting the landscape impossible to build without actual effort and planning. Overall this looks like it's all positive changes. My survival island seed just got a lot more hardcore as there is only the one tree and keeping a stock of sticks was already difficult.

As far as scaffolding goes, I think the main use for such a block would be more for horizontal builds and backings for sub-block placement such as sidings for roofs. Sand and gravel pillars will still work for the easily removed vertical aspect if you build the pillar a bit wider but to branch off to the side you still need to harvest each and every block individually unless you can splurge and wire it with carefully set mining charges.
Better is the enemy of Good
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

How DARE you Flowervhild??? Releasing a new version while I am unable to access my computer? Simply unacceptable. As soon as I can get back on my computer I will personally deliver a full straight jacket to your base on the server, as you have clearly gone insane! (Padded room pending)

Great release man! Love the changes, and I can't see a single problem with them. Nice work!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

Better than Wolves: Making MC harder and much more fun every release, love all the stuff you come out with.. and with me starting to play again lately, it seems I have TONS to discover and explore on a fresh MC world. GG!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

DaveYanakov wrote:Thank you for making ugly pillars dotting the landscape impossible to build without actual effort and planning.
Effort and planning? All you need to do is place two dirt pillars next to each other and hop back and forth between them. Costs a bit more dirt, but well... if you're going to leave the pillars behind anyhow, you apparently have plenty of dirt anyhow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: Effort and planning? All you need to do is place two dirt pillars next to each other and hop back and forth between them. Costs a bit more dirt, but well... if you're going to leave the pillars behind anyhow, you apparently have plenty of dirt anyhow.
Well, I did say "discourage". It's still possible to be sure, just requires a *bit* more thought, and you'd be surprised where that rises up and bites you in the ass.

Remember: it just became twice as hard and resource consuming. From my experience with my play-through, that does indeed make a difference. Does it fix it? No. Is it a step in the right direction? Definitely.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I did say "discourage". It's still possible to be sure, just requires a *bit* more thought, and you'd be surprised where that rises up and bites you in the ass.

Remember: it just became twice as hard and resource consuming. From my experience with my play-through, that does indeed make a difference.
Well, I'll be honest and say here that I will no doubt curse your name on a fair number of occasions for this particular change. Sure, it stops the player from rapidly pillaring up when he aggroes too many mobs, but personally I've never even considered dirt-pillaring for that. I suspect the only time I will notice this change is while I'm trying to build stuff or adjust stuff I've already built.

For example, one of my simplest house-designs involves four wooden "pillars" in the corners, which I then fill in with wood, glass and doors. In the past I used the make the wooden supports 3 to 4 blocks tall by (you guessed it) pillaring, then I'd fill in the areas in between. Finally I'd make one dirt staircase to get to the top and build a roof on it. Taking this change into account, I imagine I'll have to build it layer by layer now, which feels oddly counter-intuitive (first build a frame, then fill it in). Well, it'll be either that or set up and tear down a lot of temporary dirt blocks.

Likewise for the mobtrap I was planning to build. Initially I was going to build the inner section first, then "pillar" the pillars up to the top on the outside. Now I'll have to take a lot of care to add to the pillars for every two levels of inner section, or I won't be able to reach down far enough to build them up again (and jumping down a few blocks obviously won't help me there, as it'd require pillaring to add the blocks).

Anyhow, enough hypothetical wankery. I'll survive and I'll adapt... you haven't sold me yet on this particular change though :P

P.S. As you might've guessed, I do hope you'll consider an easy-to-break scaffolding block in the future for construction purposes.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

This looks like it will be fun...

Can't say I understand the creeper oysters in the diamond ingot recipe, but I'm liking the idea of diamond tools/armor being an alloy of diamond and iron.

The leather changes sound wonderful. Can't wait to try them out.

Anyway, thanks for the release!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

The masochist in me says "oh god yes beat me harder"

thanks for all of the amazing work you have done
Six

Post by Six »

darahalian wrote:Can't say I understand the creeper oysters in the diamond ingot recipe, but I'm liking the idea of diamond tools/armor being an alloy of diamond and iron.
I thought that was obvious. Mashing a diamond into iron would make no sense, but add creeper oysters into the mix and SCIENCE!
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: I thought that was obvious. Mashing a diamond into iron would make no sense, but add creeper oysters into the mix and SCIENCE!
Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Remember: no matter what, it still makes more sense than diamond armor and tools in vanilla.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: Well, I'll be honest and say here...

P.S. As you might've guessed, I do hope you'll consider an easy-to-break scaffolding block in the future for construction purposes.
Well, I'll be honest and say here that your extended bit of wanking/whining in response to the new release pushed me in the opposite direction.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote:
Six wrote: I thought that was obvious. Mashing a diamond into iron would make no sense, but add creeper oysters into the mix and SCIENCE!
Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Remember: no matter what, it still makes more sense than diamond armor and tools in vanilla.
Heh.. True that. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote: http://youtu.be/fkCyC9S6jIk
Woot! Release video! It's been awhile :)

Thanks for putting that together Icy! I just linked it over on the MCF.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

No problem man. Thanks much <3
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I haven't played the new update enough yet to say much, other then from now on the first thing I build when I get 3 stone is a damn bloody axe instead of a pick thanks to these new changes. And my GOD do you go through wood and stone fast now... No more chests and chests full of stone. Hell, now there's a real reason to build a cobble-gen once you've reached BDs.

Am I the only one thinking that mining charges and powder kegs just became all that more valuable? I think one could actually justify the effort of building Battosay's query design now.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I'll be honest and say here that your extended bit of wanking/whining in response to the new release pushed me in the opposite direction.
So you're saying applying reverse psychology would be a good way to steer your design-decisions? Iiiinteresting :P

Seriously, though. All I tried to do is give some perspective on how that change will affect me personally, based on the ways I've been building for ages. I don't feel it'll stop me from exploiting it in any way, as I never felt I was exploiting it in the first place. Hell, I know better than to pillar early on in the game anyhow, as it'll drain my hunger-bar like crazy and I'll just end up starving to death.

Anyhow. As I said, I'll survive and I'll adapt. If you're not interested in my perspective on the matter, then in the future I'll keep it to myself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:Anyhow. As I said, I'll survive and I'll adapt. If you're not interested in my perspective on the matter, then in the future I'll keep it to myself.
Sure, I'm interested man, however, that's with a couple of caveats:

-First, that you haven't even tried it, at least not for any length of time before launching into bitching about it.

-Secondly, that you launched into bitching about it as your first response to me putting out a new release, which you get to enjoy at no cost to yourself, focusing exclusively on a single aspect (amongst many) that you find not to your taste. Considering the work that I put into these things, that is unlikely to net a positive reaction.

And no, I don't base my design decisions on such things, or at least try very hard not to, but when someone is that rude, being human, my initial internal response is very much along the lines of "yeah jack...go fuck yourself".

In other words, it's not the beginning of a constructive conversation on the topic, and is unlikely to communicate your point of view in an effective manner.

You've given your "honest opinion" on the subject, and there's mine. Being honest is not an excuse for being a dick about things.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Huh, definitely not looking forward to the next time I die. Looks rather painful, though going from re-usable iron to stone should be. Not quite willing to start a new world/suicide to check the new new early game yet what with having just reached zero automation steel and all, but it does give me extra incentive to not take stupid risks. Loving the changes to leather/shears and the new armors.

Thanks for the update. Also, starting in the middle of an ocean would suck even more now.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Fair enough. I'll refrain from further comments on the hardcore bouncing until I've played some more with it.

Considering the scaffolding: it's up to you, ofcourse, but remember it's a game about building too, not just surviving.

That having been said, I do feel the need to apologize for the fact that most of my posts seem negative in nature. I've never been particularly lavish with compliments (here or elsewhere) and I do tend to see the problems more than the features. Considering I've been playing this mod for as long as I have, it should be clear that I like what you're doing to minecraft and expressing it always felt like stating the blatantly obvious there. So apologies if I sound a bit grumpy at times and keep up the good work.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Wow! Put a few hours into a new world and it is incredibly enjoyable.

Highlights:

-shock when my wooden pick dissapeared and was replaced with a cobblestone block.
-turning one of those standalone desert wells into a shelter, lost in the desert.
-pillaging a desert pyramid took forever (no pillar) and the diamonds obtained just stare at me mockingly...
-falling into a cavern while mining and with too few blocks/pick durability/no pillar had to roam the cave system near starvation in darkness finding water from a surface lake at the last possible moment.

Very enjoyable FC! Thank you for prolonging the fun. Especially like my wool britches lol.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's all good man. Just please keep in mind that when I put a release out like this, you may be seeing it for the first time, but I've been working very hard on it for quite awhile (a release like this one probably easily consuming 20+ hours), and probably putting thought into it for a long while before then.

Thus, when I do release, it's a cause for personal celebration over a small achievement. It's my "Friday night". When that is greeted by someone with immediate, and likely premature, criticism, it is thus very hard not to react negatively.
Graphite wrote: ...but remember it's a game about building too, not just surviving.
Don't man...just don't.

I really don't think anyone here would claim I don't know what MC is about.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

This update really has me excited. I won't have time to try it out until tonight at the very earliest but I'm really liking what I read in the notes. Thanks!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Well, I have played with it enough now to make atleast one small observation: tall oaks have been upgraded from pain-in-the-ass to royal-pain-in-the-ah-fuck-it-I'll-just-torch-the-rest :P

...and ofcourse one block up in the air survived the fire >.>
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Graphite wrote:
but remember it's a game about building too, not just surviving.
Technically minecraft building isn't really building, it's 3d painting. As such we are denied the considerations of somebody trying to build a shelter in the real world.