MC Patcher Features Broken By BTW 4.68

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
TheGatesofLogic

MC Patcher Features Broken By BTW 4.68

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Ok just thought i'd pipe in my test results using a new BTW overwrite of all MCPatcher additions. At the current moment all patches save for HD fonts are overwritten to some extent and for the most part are useless. Custom Colors may or may not be working, I was unable to test it. Here are the overall results that I got, keep in mind that some portions of these *MAY* work with results that are difficult to observe:

Extended HD: Status: uncertain ; Mipmapping may be working but otherwise there is not much I know about the state of this rendering code

HD Fonts: Status: Working Properly without any overwrites

Custom Colors: Status: Uncertain (unable to test ATM)

Random Mobs: Status: Total overwrite by BTW ; BTW overwrites this code completely so it is just deleted upon patch

Connected Textures: Status: AFAIK all base classes are overwritten by BTW and so it is deleted upon patch

Better Skies: Status: Base class Overwrite by BTW ; deleted upon patch

Better Glass: Status: Completely and dangerously broken WARNING! installing BTW over Better Glass initiates a rendering war between the two codes. Chunks will constantly fight for rendering and Minecraft is essentially unplayable. DO NOT INSTALL!

CTM's are totally broken by BTW
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Easily install your mods with the MC Patcher

Post by FlowerChild »

Damn it...I was afraid that would happen.

I'm going to split the above into a separate thread so that we can discuss this further without taking this thread too far off course.
jecowa

Re: MC Patcher Features Broken By BTW 4.68

Post by jecowa »

I believe custom colors didn't work with Better Than Wolves even before BTW v4.68.
The "HD fonts" feature is the most important mod of MCPatcher, in my opinion, so I'm glad it still works. The Connected Textures Module was second, but I didn't even notice it was missing until you pointed it out.
I'm not really sure exactly what all the "Extended HD" mod does either.
TheGatesofLogic

Extended HD adds mipmapping and some small features for TP artists. Thank you for the information regarding CC and IMO CTMs is the only major loss
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Not quite sure exactly how you patch, but in my installation, Random Mobs, CTM, Better Skies and a lot of the Extended HD features are working fine. Uncertain about Custom Colours, but the rest seems to be working quite nicely.

Patch order:
ModLoader
BTW
MCPatcher Stuff

Not experiencing any loss of features in the mod either, except for some funky water, which I believe FC is on already.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thalarctia wrote:Not quite sure exactly how you patch, but in my installation, Random Mobs, CTM, Better Skies and a lot of the Extended HD features are working fine. Uncertain about Custom Colours, but the rest seems to be working quite nicely.
If it's just a matter of install order, that would indeed be good news.

Are you getting any performance improvement as well? I'm just wondering if MCPatcher is overwriting my changes in your case, although I doubt the game would still work if that was the case.
TheGatesofLogic

Sorry if this wasn't clear from my first post, but what I did was a FULL overwrite with BTW being set up in the patcher such that it maintains the integrity of BTW classes, but not necessarily the patcher's mod. Your install is guaranteed to have written over FC's code if the patches are working properly

You have probably only overwritten optimization code however
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

FlowerChild wrote:If it's just a matter of install order, that would indeed be good news.

Are you getting any performance improvement as well? I'm just wondering if MCPatcher is overwriting my changes in your case, although I doubt the game would still work if that was the case.
I'm on a pretty high end machine, so the most noticable improvement is the lack of stuttering around lava and chicken singularities, as well as chunk loading which appears really smooth. Nether still stutters a little big when first entered in a new world, but thats with terrain being generated as well as rendered.

I did these tests with a 128x texture pack to just stress my system a little bit - With vanilla textures I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
TheGatesofLogic

I'm going to check the class map to find what exactly is being overwritten by what. Will post later
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Sorry if this wasn't clear from my first post, but what I did was a FULL overwrite with BTW being set up in the patcher such that it maintains the integrity of BTW classes, but not necessarily the patcher's mod. Your install is guaranteed to have written over FC's code if the patches are working properly

You have probably only overwritten optimization code however
I'm not so certain about that man. My understanding is that MCPatcher, is actually a patcher in terms of modifying existing code as opposed to overwriting it, so I believe installing it last is the correct thing to do.

If you install BTW last, you're guaranteed my code will totally overwrite its changes if I modify the same class, so its only natural features would get broken.

And trust me, if MCPatcher were overwriting my changes, it's likely the game would just stop working or crash at some point (like the guy mentioned in off-topic about the My Little Pony mod), as I've pretty fundamentally altered the way MC renders blocks.
TheGatesofLogic

Actually, FC, the order of patching that Thalarctia posted indicates that the patches the patcher applies are installed AFTER BTW. What I did was prioritize btw by putting it on the bottom of the mods list so that it is installed last
Really? It modifies code rather than patching over it??? Hmm total difference there
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Thalarctia wrote:Not quite sure exactly how you patch, but in my installation, Random Mobs, CTM, Better Skies and a lot of the Extended HD features are working fine. Uncertain about Custom Colours, but the rest seems to be working quite nicely.

Patch order:
ModLoader
BTW
MCPatcher Stuff

Not experiencing any loss of features in the mod either, except for some funky water, which I believe FC is on already.
Are you installing the ModLoader and BTW mods using MCPatcher or are you installing ModLoader and BTW manually?
TheGatesofLogic

So, it appears that my previous assumption that MCpatcher overwrites classes was wrong and that the issues I originally reported were due to overwriting changes the patcher made to the code instead of letting it alter the code AFTER BTW was installed. I am sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused anyone
TSA

Post by TSA »

greetings

i first thing i noticed was that CTM was broken.
tried a clean install and still broken.

Ramboms mobs is working fine
better skies works fine too
conected textures is working

cant test better grass.

i assume that only CTM is broken
dont know why though.

used mc patcher 3.0.3_01

install order

mod loader
btw
tmi
mcpatcher stuff
LunaticToad
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

CTM = Connected Textures Mod

So you claim it to be both broken and working?
azagal73

Post by azagal73 »

TSA wrote:greetings
i first thing i noticed was that CTM was broken.
tried a clean install and still broken.
My connected textures are working perfectly. I'm not seeing any issues with the latest BTW releases and MCPatcher features.
TheGatesofLogic

Better grass is no longer an option in MCPatcher AFAIK... Are you using the right version of MCPatcher?
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Better grass is no longer an option in MCPatcher AFAIK... Are you using the right version of MCPatcher?
Click on the "Options" tab. Scroll down to the "Connected Textures" section. Click the "Grass block sides (Better Grass)" check box.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I've noticed a very small change in CTM when switching from 4.68 to 4.69.
I'm using the Faithful texture pack which gives ores a random texture; it used to work back in 4.68, it doesn't in 4.69. The rest of the CTM features still work fine.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

If you are using Vattic's Faithful 32x from this thread and are having trouble with Connected-Texture Module support, please update your texture pack. I don't think it will fix the random ores, though.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

jecowa wrote:If you are using Vattic's Faithful 32x from this thread and are having trouble with Connected-Texture Module support, please update your texture pack. I don't think it will fix the random ores, though.
Nope, I just made some tests, and only the ores' CTM are not working in 4.69 although they do in 4.68... Maybe FC changed something related to ore randering? That's kinda strange that only the ores among CTM are affected. Thank you for your help anyway!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I basically streamlined the rendering of all full blocks that are used in world-gen, including ores, so that the processing applied to them is much less complicated.

There were basically a shit ton of conditionals in there that were being applied to every single block like "are my textures rotated?" (actually, that was a whole series of questions asking which direction they were rotated in), "am I larger than a full block?", "are my textures overridden?", "do I have custom colors applied?", the answer to which is "no" every time for those kind of "standard" blocks, and with that answer already being inherent to the block type.

Basically, a shit-ton of custom rendering code had worked its way into MC's primary rendering function, so I created a new specialized function to handle those blocks.

Now, it's likely that what's happened is that CTM applies its patch to that original rendering function, but not my new streamlined version, and no CTM on ores is the result.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tell you what: I doubt there are significant gains from using the higher-speed rendering method on ores (most of the blocks of the world are comprised of dirt, stone, sand, etc.), so I'll revert the change I made to those blocks in particular so folks can get CTM support out of them, for the next release.

So yeah, don't sweat it, I'll fix that up, and stay away from the kind of decorative blocks that people would likely apply CTM to with these changes. Given they only comprise a small portion of the world, the gains would be minimal anyways.
TheGatesofLogic

Just a heads up for every body, CTM's are broken for Stone, Sand, Dirt, and any other block FC changed with 4.69.

Sorry to all those Derivation TP fans out there but this basically broke that texture pack as all of these are *VERY HEAVILY* CTM'd, so much so that even the *primary* stone block texture isn't actually the most common in its random distribution. Also, Derivation Deserts aren't very nice looking anymore ;)
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Kahr just posted an update to MCPatcher that improved compatibility with BTW. Connected-textured stone and ores work now.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/149 ... ry22208956