New Release! (BTW V4.68)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.68)

Post by FlowerChild »

jecowa wrote:Does the rain sound higher-pitched to anyone else in the new version?
Take that shit to tech support man. I'm getting fairly tired of warning you about this kind of thing.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

FlowerChild wrote:
Benanov wrote: Seems like most of the graphical improvements were in the T version
Hmmm...what may have happened there is that the CPU has been pushed to the point on your system, where the GPU is now the dominant bottle-neck.

I'd be surprised if what I did between the 'T' version and this release wouldn't have an impact otherwise.

Also, if you're in an area with a lot of BTW machinery (you mentioned densely populated, so not sure if that's what you meant), you might want to see what the differences are in more vanilla-style areas.

I have plans to reduce the poly-count on a few of the BTW blocks to reduce GPU load in the near future (I have a marked difference in framerate on my system, from about 30fps to 60fps depending on whether I can see my machinery or not, with the exact same chunks loaded, so that's got to be almost all GPU), so areas with an already lower poly-count might give you an indication if there's anything to what I'm theorizing about above.
I was definitely in a machinery-heavy area. I can do some more tests if you'd like.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Benanov wrote:I was definitely in a machinery-heavy area. I can do some more tests if you'd like.
Yeah, that would be awesome man. I just ran some tests myself turning off various mod-block renderers to try and find what the primary source of the drop in FPS in my main area was, but so far no dice. I was really thinking the Hoppers in particular might be the source given the excessive number of polies they use, and given I have a big-ass soul shower in my base with a ton of them present.

BUT, I do know from past experience that higher poly models like that can reduce frame rate significantly on lower end systems due to a similar issue I fixed with Planters awhile back, so I'm still going to do up the lower poly version of the Hopper as I suspect it will likely help others out.

Anyways, long story short, yes, it may make a difference on your system :)
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Are we MCpatcher "good to go"? Or we dont know yet how some of these optimizations will run with it?

Also: SPEEEEED BOOST!!!!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Are we MCpatcher "good to go"? Or we dont know yet how some of these optimizations will run with it?
Dude, again: tech support. Don't derail the release thread with these kinds of questions, and if you bothered looking there, you'd see it's already answered.
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Flowerchild thank you! Just thank you! I can actually play on normal render! (which is a HUGE upgrade form tiny) I flipped open my world and was playing with tiny well the idea to try normal hit me, and it worked! You have no idea how happy I am! this is freaking fantastic! <3
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Prof_Ion wrote:Flowerchild thank you! Just thank you! I can actually play on normal render! (which is a HUGE upgrade form tiny) I flipped open my world and was playing with tiny well the idea to try normal hit me, and it worked! You have no idea how happy I am! this is freaking fantastic! <3
Big smiles man! Stories like this are definitely making the few days I spent on this worthwhile.

Honestly, I'm finding the cost/benefit on this to be huge. Despite it being a departure from the stuff I normally work on, I'm very happy I decided to do this.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

hey FC thanks a ton man. FPS up a bit more havn't noticed any stutter issues. Memory usage runs 25-30% instead of the usual 50%. This is great!
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Big smiles man! Stories like this are definitely making the few days I spent on this worthwhile.

Honestly, I'm finding the cost/benefit on this to be huge. Despite it being a departure from the stuff I normally work on, I'm very happy I decided to do this.[/quote]

You just have no idea how much I appreciate this! I can actually play minecraft how it should be! The fog on tiny render was so annoying I actually hadn't played much lately. But I am finally back to my favorite game Better than Wolves! Thanks a bunch man! Hopefully in the near future I will have a job and can buy a drink or two for this one ;)
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Prof_Ion wrote: You just have no idea how much I appreciate this! I can actually play minecraft how it should be! The fog on tiny render was so annoying I actually hadn't played much lately. But I am finally back to my favorite game Better than Wolves! Thanks a bunch man! Hopefully in the near future I will have a job and can buy a drink or two for this one ;)
Let's see if the next release gets you up to far distance ;)
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you for the release! I'm getting improvements as well, how many exactly, I can't tell but it's definitely better overall! I begin to love my low end PC :) thank you Flowerchild!
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Damn, man, I'm going to pull out an older laptop that I have laying around and see how MC handles there, but even on my newer laptop I notice significantly less stuttering. I can run around in fancy graphics, even with with Panda's TP, and not get any slideshows. My FPS does dip when looking at my base, but not something I would notice unless i'm looking at the f3.. It's not a huge base just an upgraded village really.

The amount of thought you have for the people who play your mod especially with all of the flack you get from the MC community makes me proud to play BTW. Soon I should have my server ready so I can start pushing BTW to my friends.

BTW 4.68: just say YES to performance enhancing mods
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, I should have mentioned that actually. What I suspect is happening with chunk load, is that MC has some kind of throttling system in place that if chunk load takes too long, it drops chunks and you get those visible holes until you approach them.
The server sends fewer chunks than are actually rendered so the client ends up initializing empty chunk renderers. The frustum check ignores initialized renderers that don't have anything to render and chunks in the frustum get updated first. This results in chunk renderers beyond the empty ones that were already initialized getting priority.

I suspect that the holes disappear when the player approaches them because of some "Oh crap, the player's getting close! Do I need to change something before they notice?" logic.

To reproduce the bug just stay in one place until all chunks have been rendered (Not just the ones you can see -- Wait until C, F, and E on the second debug line stabilize) and then turn around and start walking.
This code snippet fixes the problem for me
Show

Code: Select all

--- a/src/minecraft/net/minecraft/src/WorldRenderer.java
+++ b/src/minecraft/net/minecraft/src/WorldRenderer.java
@@ -315,5 +315,6 @@ public class WorldRenderer
     public void markDirty()
     {
         this.needsUpdate = true;
+        this.isInitialized = false;
     }
 }
Setting performance to "Max FPS" makes it much more noticeable on my computer, so try that if you're having problems reproducing it.