Absolute Beginner's Guide to Surviving Better Than Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Surviving Better Than Wolve

Post by FlowerChild »

Nekhs wrote:I love HC Spawn but it does have some trouble for absolute noobs.
By design ;)

Tell your friend to stop dying. It's almost certain that he's gotten into bad habits through vanilla (like charging mobs early game) that are getting him killed. If he dies enough, he'll eventually get tired of sticking his finger in the light socket, and change his behavior accordingly.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

FlowerChild wrote:
Nekhs wrote:I love HC Spawn but it does have some trouble for absolute noobs.
By design ;)

Tell your friend to stop dying. It's almost certain that he's gotten into bad habits through vanilla (like charging mobs early game) that are getting him killed. If he dies enough, he'll eventually get tired of sticking his finger in the light socket, and change his behavior accordingly.

Not to put too fine a point on it FC but he said this guy was new to minecraft, period. He's not been corrupted by vanilla, or at least that was my impression.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

She, but yes. Guy's an absolute nooblet.

I've told him to stop dying. In response he continued to suicide to try and get a different spawn.

It didn't work.

I was very amused.

He's not very bright. u_u

Edit: I'm the idiot who's gotten into bad habits from Vanilla. I still don't usually build shelter during the night. It's killed me more often than not.
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Nekhs wrote:Snip
My apologies. I'm reasonably new to the forums and your name is ambiguous, so I guessed. :P

Nice guide by the way :)
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Didn't you know? There are no females on the internet. ;)

No, but it's all right. I'm pretty new to posting frequently on the forums as well, so it's not something that should be treated as well-established fact.

Thanks for your feedback!
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

Nekhs wrote:I wrote this for a couple of my friends -snip.
Great post.

Thanks!

-EDIT added quote to make sure people know what I am referring.
Roger.King

Post by Roger.King »

As of 4.8 BTW update I bielive your first home should be also close to a ravine (for plenty of iron) once you are unable anymore to do branch mining. Considering you do not have any close village.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

That might be sound advice. Newbs to HCS are going to get frustrated quick. So anything that gets you quick redstone is good. Then you can have them head back to spawn. Playing overworld abouve ground till they map and land marker the whole area. May sound tedious but there will be beauty and utility to it once you die. Plus you will build up the stocks need to deep cave to tech up.

With the light into a ravine it is more inviting and less torch intensive to start.
Mud

Post by Mud »

One crucial bit of advice I can give: Trap cows/chickens/sheep early on by pushing them into 2block deep holes and coveringwith something recognizable (cobble/Logs/Planks). This way they'll be there when you progress enough to domesticate them, and all you have to do is go grab them.

Don't forget to put a torch in there with them though...
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

Thank you for this great guide! I repicked up btw and I was stumped with all the new features added (especially the hardcore stuff since there are little archive on this) and this really helped a lot in most aspects. I kept dying for the past few hours now and I am wondering if you could help me figure out some stuff:
- I created an axe to be able to cut logs, only to figure out that logs can't be crafted to planks, is there a faster way to get planks in order to create some tools?
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

You need an axe to craft wooden plants. It counts as the use of the axe. (like the scissor+web recipe)
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

Elevatator wrote:You need an axe to craft wooden plants. It counts as the use of the axe. (like the scissor+web recipe)
Thank you! I cannot find this recipe anywhere! thanks for the help
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

TyberAlyx wrote:Thank you! I cannot find this recipe anywhere! thanks for the help
That would be because it was added in the most recent release (4.82). The wiki is a useful resource, but is fan-updated, so often lags behind a release or two. In the future, if you ever have a question, the best place to look is generally the change-log included in the readme file with the download.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

The wiki wasn't always behind - there was a period back in December and January when I had the time to update the wiki as soon as we got a new release - a few of the hardcore pages started because I made stubs for them from the change log. There's also the problem of FC's undocumented features; at what point should they go into the wiki?
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire