depriving MC of internet connection

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
HappyDyas

depriving MC of internet connection

Post by HappyDyas »

I would like to be able to use the HD textures of the player model based upon the texture pack im using (Derivitaion) however, i have already changed the skin for my profile vie Minecraft.net
I remember reading in a post that you could deny MC the connection to the internet so that you may use the HD model the texture pack supports.

Would someone be willing to give me instructions on how to accomplish this goal? and also how to change it back when an update is available?
Eriottosan

Re: depriving MC of internet connection

Post by Eriottosan »

Just turn off your internet and log in. It will say "connection failed" or something, and give you an option that says "Play offline". Once it's launched, you can turn internet back on again.

However, this can cause issues with tamed wolves if you try and get them to sit/stand (at least, it used to, don't know if it still does), as you get logged in with a name different to your username so you aren't their owner.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

There is commercial software that allows users to block access of specific apps to the network. For the Windows operating system, I use Comodo. For MacOS I use LittleSnitch.

If you'd like to use a more advanced (and cheaper) solution, you can edit your hosts file to direct the Minecraft login server to another host. Most people use 127.0.0.1, which is what I would recommend. That IP will take it to your local computer, so it never leaves your system.

I'm not on my computer to test, but I think adding the following line to the bottom of your hosts file should work:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1      login.minecraft.net
The hosts file is located in different locations on different operating systems. You can use Google to help find the location of the hosts file on your operating system (e.g. hosts file location Windows XP).
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

If you want to black-hole a site, point it to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 as that is much faster to resolve.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Racooknight

Post by Racooknight »

Also, you can use MultiMC to play minecraft, which allows on one hand to have several versions of minecraft in a different folder that the stupid "application data/.minecraft" stuff, and on the other hand it has a little button called "play offline" that works wonders.

Now, the "play offline" button is exactly the same as vanilla MC. You just don't have to go through the stupid news & updates screen, which you don't care about. It does give you the skin from your texture pack, not the one from your online account.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The wolves thing i don't believe is an issue anymore, as the host of the works is always player, regardless of network status. Only additional LAN players our players on smp are referenced by name. The name fire the player IS still stored, but it is overwritten by the player tag, which is always what the host references.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!