Player location should not display while under leaves

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Player location should not display while under leaves

Post by DaveYanakov »

Forests are easy to get lost in. This is not a realism gripe but I feel that gameplay is being missed out on if the player can track where they are in dense forest without clearing an opening or climbing up above the canopy to get a position fix on landmarks. I've recently used a few maps while getting an overview of the area surrounding spawn and it just feels wrong.

I realize I'm coming to this a bit late since maps were initially nuked way back in 4.22 but I feel that the revision in 4.30 when you fixed minecarts and boats should have been left as is rather than making leaves transparent as far as a view of the sky goes. Apologies for any lack of manna and please don't do anything if this makes work for you.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Player location should not display while under leaves

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah man, it just feels weird if your icon keeps disappearing and reappearing as you pass under trees while mapping.

What you're saying about dense forests makes sense, but trying to determine whether the player is in one or just under a single tree is not really feasible, and if it disappears under single trees it just feels off.