Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by JakeZKAM »

When he says harder and nothing based on damage/health it makes me wonder if more features like zombies breaking wooden doors would be added, to start affecting people who have a *safe and secure* castle set up :D. While previous additions and updates from Mojang have proven otherwise, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this one :). Horses, Seasons, and upped difficulty? So far sounding pretty damn good to me!
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FlowerChild wrote:Now THAT I'd like to play around with design wise.
Ah, yes, seasons. Now instead of just Hardcore Hunger, we have Hardcore Freezing To Death every winter!

Time to stock up on wool so I can make some nice warm fuzzy socks to keep the frostbite off Steve's toes.

I returned to playing Minecraft recently because of all the work Flowerchild has put in making it more of a survival game. I look forward to what he will come up with should this actually get put into vanilla Minecraft. (Though I doubt it will be much more than aesthetics on the vanilla Minecraft side.)
Mud

Post by Mud »

Dralnalak wrote:Hardcore Freezing To Death
That one just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

If the plan is to make a MC year span 168 hours, seasons might work. The possibility of seasons feeling too brief makes me apprehensive of the idea, though.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

<snip>
EDIT: sorry, thought that tweet was recent as it appeared on MCF's front page.
Last edited by xou816 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

xou816 wrote:From Jeb's Twitter:
(pic)
Yes, armor, and you can bind them to fences.
Yeah, it does look pretty cool, but if you look back on page 34, this has already been brought up :P
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Anyone else notice how awful it is that the pig is in the background? He looks so sad that his funnest job has been ripped away...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

finite8 wrote:Seasons:

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Why do this? It doesn't make sense. Sure, you can BS some reason that "Because you are in the area, they learn more about you" but we all know they spawn randomly in the dark. Each hostile mob is brand new. The danger should be something that builds organically, not by tweaking some numbers. I think a better mechanic would be to have mobs like zombies attract other zombies and influence their direction of travel. This way, you could get an effective horde mechanic going. The bigger you build, the more attention you attract. The difficulty should be a result of your actions, not because you dug a hole and left the game running for a few hours.

Um....vanilla already did that in 1.5

You catch the attention of one zombie in the area, it alerts other zombies to come and get it, although the range is pretty small on it. Admittedly it just means be careful who you punch in vanilla but it is there.

It's on the vanilla 1.5 changelog.

Spoiler
Show
Improvements & Changes
All Mobs
Mobs no longer walk over rails unless they are pursuing the player
Skeleton
Now shoot from 16 blocks away, instead of 10
They now shoot faster when their target is closer
They shoot players one block away
Slimes
Slime spawn rates in swamps now depend on the current moon phase.[12]
Zombie
Now group up on targets
They can now set players on fire when on fire themselves
Now are stronger the more damaged they are
Increased player detection range

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history#1.5
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Moon phases take, what, 160 minutes to cycle around? Based on that I would expect a season to last for around 8 hours, giving us a 32 hour year. This could be a lot of fun if they can pull it off, especially if they add a choice of starting season or even random starting date based off seed to new world generation.
Better is the enemy of Good
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Mud wrote:
Dralnalak wrote:Hardcore Freezing To Death
That one just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

If the plan is to make a MC year span 168 hours, seasons might work. The possibility of seasons feeling too brief makes me apprehensive of the idea, though.
"hyperthermia"? :P

it'd be nice if the seasons caused hazards in biomes though, imagine slowly taking damage in deserts during summer due to heatstroke, or taigas becoming nigh impossible to navigate due to snow buildup.

then again, people on MCF would probably complain "waah waah, my magical ice castle in the desert melted and then I died of heatstroke! fuck you dinnerbone T_T"

I get the feeling that it will just end up being something like "in forests and taigas, snow layer melts in the summer and rains/snows more in winter" though :<
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I'm thinking about those massive snowy forests melting in the 'summer' thats a lot of block updates, and if the whole biome isnt loaded your world might end up like this.

But variable length days would be kinda cool- I look forward to the longest night after a HC respawn...
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
devak

Post by devak »

Hardcore seasons: using the Game Of Thrones season system.

winters that last ages and a night lasting a generation.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:Interesting that, considering BTW has had a light detector that doesn't use tile ents for a very long time now, and that doesn't update in a random fashion. Look, there are certainly arguments for using a tile ent for that kind of thing, however, Mojang has been on a bit of a rampage with them which is more reminiscent of what a lot of mods do.

Their use in comparators in particular is rather alarming to me given what a prominent role they will likely play in vanilla circuit design.

There just seems to be very little thought being put into designing blocks in a manner that suits the architecture of the game. They even used tile ents for the skull blocks for pete's sake. Granted, in comparison to some of the mistakes being made at present, this is small fry, but hard for me not to take notice of when I'm going through new code.
Cross quoting as this discussion seems to belong more in this thread.

Easy features to pad out the updates wouldn't be easy if they had to spend time figuring out ways to pull them off without major performance hits. They don't have anyone with the experience to do otherwise in the office so this sort of thing is kind of inevitable.
Better is the enemy of Good
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Looks like there will be some manner of new launcher.
Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone 13h

@jimdupuis The new launcher will be required to play 1.6 and will be included in the snapshot.

Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone 8h

@JoshLockheed The new launcher will support any version, old or new. The old launcher will not support 1.6 or newer versions.
Although it might just be a security update to stop cracked clients from running new versions, I hope it won't interfere with anything else (i.e mods).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Simurgh wrote:Although it might just be a security update to stop cracked clients from running new versions, I hope it won't interfere with anything else (i.e mods).
If their intent is to prevent .jar file modding before even releasing a mod API, that would be boneheaded to say the least. Either that or the Forge devs convinced them to do this to force people to use their API (which wouldn't be a huge surprise either).

Let's see what happens, and cross that bridge when we get to it. We should know relatively soon as they're supposed to release this thing with the next snapshot.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

One would seriously doubt they would kill so many mods just like that.. But the lord(*) works in mysterious ways..

*Loki.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:One would seriously doubt they would kill so many mods just like that.. But the lord(*) works in mysterious ways..
I personally doubt they would do that, but at this stage, honestly won't be surprised either way.

I've seen so many poor decisions come out of Mojang now that it doesn't even really warrant a face-palm anymore.
TheChinchilla

Post by TheChinchilla »

Mojang has just released snapshot 13w16a.
The Changelog
Show
  • Added horses, based on the work of John Olarte (DrZhark), of Mo’ Creatures fame
    Added horse armor
    Added hay bales
    Added leashes
    Added carpets
    The “Respiration” enchantment now also helps seeing underwater
Does anybody know if Jeb or Dinnerbone ever mentioned adding carpets?
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

TheChinchilla wrote:Mojang has just released snapshot 13w16a.
The Changelog
Show
  • Added horses, based on the work of John Olarte (DrZhark), of Mo’ Creatures fame
    Added horse armor
    Added hay bales
    Added leashes
    Added carpets
    The “Respiration” enchantment now also helps seeing underwater
Does anybody know if Jeb or Dinnerbone ever mentioned adding carpets?
No, but just seeing some of the additions to this has made my head explode in rage. There is no need for leashes, when fishing rods were just fine, and the carpets are just retextured snow.

I need to go calm down.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Sooo theres a skeleton and zombie horse....

Look here:

http://imgur.com/a/B5vmf
Never say no to Panda.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Also note the pack horses and Carpets: (Cred to six on IRC)
Carpets
Show
Pack Horses (Donkeys?)
Show
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Riding pigs was one of those random oddities which made minecraft 'minecraft'.
I know it will always be there, but now it's some kind of joke/footnote rather than part of the game's character.

Thank you, Dinnerbone, for slowly ripping the heart and soul out of MC with every update.

*pours one on the kerb for my pet porker.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

magikeh wrote: snop
that picture of the donkey...

I just can't get the bizzare image out of my head...

did someone shove a chest through its ass?
devak

Post by devak »

Calcifire3691 wrote:
magikeh wrote: snop
that picture of the donkey...

when i saw that picture all i could think was "that must've hurt".
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

Apparently there's also a brand new type of saddle just for horses. Currently, the old saddle doesn't work on horses and it wouldn't surprise me to see it stay that way. Why they didn't just add a crafting recipe for the saddle and use that is obviously beyond my understanding.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Calcifire3691 wrote: that picture of the donkey...

I see what you did there....

Yeah, that chest does look really weird. But anyway, they really seemed to go all out with the different types of horses.

Any thoughts on the new launcher?

EDIT: so far, I've found that there are new directories in the minecraft directory: assets/, libraries/, versions/... translations seem to have been moved out of the jar, resources/ is gone, and the sounds in assets seem to now be rearranged from what they used to be. And instead of bin/ the jar seems to be located under versions/ with version specific name.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.