World seed "changing"

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Biohazard91X

World seed "changing"

Post by Biohazard91X »

This is the second time this has happened to me now, and I can't for the life of me explain why!

Basically I'm running a server with some friends and it's all been fine, when suddenly one of us dies and goes back to spawn and its completely different from before, with huge world tears everywhere like it's regenerating the map from a different seed. I check the level.dat using AMIDST (a program which creates a map of a seed irrelevant of player changes) and sure enough it's completely different to how it was a few days ago, the seed has somehow changed and is generating the map completely differently!

This is a complete immersion-breaker for me and I can't bare to play on a world which I can't explore without huge world tears :/

Does anybody have a way to fix this and is it BTW related?

EDIT: Additional info, running BTW 4.59 and haven't updated in ages so it's not an updating problem (was waiting for the 1.5 update to force all my friends into updating)
jecowa

Re: World seed "changing"

Post by jecowa »

The same thing happened on PK_420's server. To fix the world tears, he had to open the world in MCEdit, restore the seed to its original value, and remove all the chunks generated with the undesired seed.

The seed can also be altered by modifying the level-seed value in the "server.properties" file, I believe. Do you think you might have changed out your server.properties file at one point?
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

I wonder if it can happen if you don't have a seed set in the config file. After all, if you don't have a seed the first time, the game has to determine one...it's possible that the game senses that condition again and picks a new seed.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

I've literally changed nothing which has got me perplexed, manage to fix it though with an old level.dat and some MCEdit chunk deletion, I'll keep a closer eye on things incase it happens again though so I can try and pick out what might have changed :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Check the seed using /seed and ask your players to do the same next time they respawn. If there is variation, that should show it.
Better is the enemy of Good