4.65 Spoiler Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Re: 4.65 Spoiler Discussion

Post by JakeZKAM »

FlowerChild wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:Ah now I see, spiders and zombies wont compete for food then ;)
Well, the general idea behind it is that MC zombies have a taste for non-carnivorous or omnivorous mammals (not just humans), but yeah, basically the same thing :)
Hmmm yet they don't go after wolves. Then again wolves are clearly evil beings sooo :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote: Hmmm yet they don't go after wolves. Then again wolves are clearly evil beings sooo :P
Well, I always think it's important to work subtle yet important lessons into my designs for the sake of the children.

In this case, the message is "eating vegetables will kill you".
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

FlowerChild wrote:Eh...yeah, that is a pain in the ass. Maybe I could do something with Hibachis and Bellows blowing the flames in the direction of the portal or something. I never really liked the idea of the Hibachi just doing it auto-magically on its own.

Actually...that kind of spread mechanic for Hibachi and Bellows might be kinda cool in a general sense as well. Will think on it :)
It's probably worth noting that, in addition to Fire Charges (added in 1.3 or so), Mojang gave dispensers the ability to use the Flint and Steel in 1.5. Now, you can toggle nether portals with both a Flint and Steel dispenser and a Water Bucket dispenser.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

savagelung wrote:It's probably worth noting that, in addition to Fire Charges (added in 1.3 or so), Mojang gave dispensers the ability to use the Flint and Steel in 1.5. Now, you can toggle nether portals with both a Flint and Steel dispenser and a Water Bucket dispenser.
Yeah...no, I won't be keeping that.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Who needs ridges on their defensive walls to keep out spiders anymore! Introducing the BTW arachnid Bait Box:
I'm not sure I like the direction that could be going in... lol. Don't get me wrong I like the play on the mechanic, I'm just picturing people overhauling defenses to be composed of chicken/cow bait boxes and and array of cats. Skeletons aside, it's like a passive creature force-field.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

PatriotBob wrote: I'm not sure I like the direction that could be going in... lol. Don't get me wrong I like the play on the mechanic, I'm just picturing people overhauling defenses to be composed of chicken/cow bait boxes and and array of cats. Skeletons aside, it's like a passive creature force-field.
It could be a very cool mob trap though, toss a few vine traps under the bait box, send the mobs to their death and mob items are separated by mob type.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

PatriotBob wrote:I'm not sure I like the direction that could be going in... lol. Don't get me wrong I like the play on the mechanic, I'm just picturing people overhauling defenses to be composed of chicken/cow bait boxes and and array of cats. Skeletons aside, it's like a passive creature force-field.
Just throwing my two cents: it's effective only in a small range, so you would need to put lots of those. You can "create" the chicken in situ, but zombie-attracting posts would be a pain to settle, I guess it's easier simply building the wall.

It's still worth a chuckle, though. And mob traps, like OldMarriedDude said.
--Who do you think you are, War?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I'm not sure it's the most efficient thing as it requires those trap doors which can be a pain to make.
My base is all underground so i really don't have any walls. I think it's personally suited to my defense as I have particular exit points where I can come out of the ground.

This way the chicken acts like a cat in that it can neutralize the threat the mob poses at a particular area around your base.

If your building massive perimeter walls you're likely in position to put a lip on the wall as you're constructing it. Having to build an extra bait box would require switching of materials and orientation too often.

Actually i have spiders that get stuck in a groove between my windmill blades and the windmill tower every morning. I thought this would be a way to keep them away from those little grooves.
OldMarriedDude wrote:
It could be a very cool mob trap though, toss a few vine traps under the bait box, send the mobs to their death and mob items are separated by mob type.
If you can build a wall around the bait box 2m high it could act as a filter along with the wall allowing you to make a mob trap that only spiders/ bats can get into.
Last edited by Kazuya Mishima on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...ok, those chicken bait boxes are pretty funny :)

I'll see how much of an impact that actually has on gameplay in the long term before making any decisions on it. For now, it's pretty amusing but doesn't strike me as being so practical as to replace walls (which I wouldn't be too keen on), so I'm totally cool with it. If every single base starts having a defensive chicken perimeter, I may reevaluate that stance at a later date ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I do plan on trapping some chickens inside my walls since spiders can see right through them. This will in no way replace walls, rather it will allow for much more freedom in design since you can negate the infiltrators if you're willing to put up with a bit of noise and the potential of a lot of webs being sprayed outside. I already have plans for a very basic mob trap that selects for zombies by putting a bait cow in the middle of a pit and surrounding the fence with hoppers. It'd be slow as hell but would potentially land you some easy iron tools/armor in the early game when you're saving up nuggets.
Testbed A
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

FlowerChild wrote:... a defensive chicken perimeter ...
Am i the only one who chuckled at this term? :D
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Deciding if that is cooler or walls is not that easy :P

Actually, if you have an endless darkness outside your walls you could use those bait boxes as an early form of mobtrap with a much limited output. Or just sit there and make rude gestures to mobs in the morning.

Btw, even without this, there is already a way to seperate common mobs. Spiders with size, creepers with cats, zombies with testies, which leaves you with skeletons only. Pretty fun contraptions.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Putting helpless animals in platform boxes and dragging them in front of things that want to eat them is far more entertaining though.
Better is the enemy of Good
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Oh man.. :D That moment when you are out of food, and down to hunger and can't kill that damn cow anymore. I felt like a god last night, when I managed to suffocate him in sand. =D
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Been playing a new single player world and the changes are great. Iron is definitely an accomplishment.

The only immersion break for me was the weeds. I setup in a half abandoned village and took over their fields as I had no hoe yet. Clearing the weeds only to have more back the same later the same day seemed a bit much.

Otherwise, loving the changes and the new feel.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

milkmandan wrote: The only immersion break for me was the weeds. I setup in a half abandoned village and took over their fields as I had no hoe yet. Clearing the weeds only to have more back the same later the same day seemed a bit much.
They don't grow any faster than other MC plants man, and if they grew any slower, they wouldn't be relevant.

Also, you can prevent them growing entirely once you understand how they work. I doubt it's really an immersion breaker as I think it fits in well with the rest of the game and provides just a bit more character to the farming process. I suspect it's more that you just aren't used to it happening yet, and thus it stood out for you.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

The new meat doesn't seem to have an effect on wolf libido. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

7 Hours, and we just figured out we only needed 4 iron nuggets for a compass. :P Finally got 4 bars, tried to get more as it didn't work. :D 7 hours, and we've just been having fun exploring and figuring out what to do and how to do it. :D Haha, amazing stuff!!!
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Are cows only eaten by zombies? Or are the skellies in on the action too?

I had a lit-up cow pasture for all my lactation needs, fenced off but not spider proof. I had built it, lured a couple of cows in, waited for the night. Cows appeared safe, zombies were sticking to the fence but all they could do was drool. Thought spiders only ate chickens. Thought nothing of skellies. So I thought... sod it, and went back to building my warehouse.

A few days later, I arrive with a couple of buckets but <GASP> the cow pasture is empty! ... wtf! Not a shred of evidence e.g. xp balls or leftover leather or anything. No milk today :(

It's like a detective thriller. Whodunnit?
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

I've found i've had to double-enclose my cows. Somehow every couple of nights a cow goes missing. Because I was using cobblestone fences and since they arn't a full block I had the feeling that very rarely a zombie could sneak in an attack over the fence. Not really sure how, but since the double enclosure i've not lost a cow.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I stuffed my herd in an abandoned village house, one of the L-shaped ones, cut out the wood floor, and cut one blocks holes in the walls every other block so grass could spread in.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Mines are locked in a cave deep underground until I get my barn built. My chickens were in there before, but now theyre buried next to a small lake. I bunged some cactus on top to kill any spiders off.

The change to mob AI is great too I'm seeing a lot more creepers emerging from caves and stuff during the day.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I was keeping my animals in a hole but now my temporary barn is up and I get visitors almost every night.

EDIT: Have pic but having issues resizing so deleted URL.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I always think it's important to work subtle yet important lessons into my designs for the sake of the children.

In this case, the message is "eating vegetables will kill you".
Woody Allen movies were ahead of their time, I see it now...

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.