Possible change to stone recipes by Dinnerbone

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SilverWraith

Possible change to stone recipes by Dinnerbone

Post by SilverWraith »

Dinnerbone put this on twitter:
Dinnerbone wrote:Food for thought: If all the recipes (except furnace) needed smooth/smelted stone and not cobble, how much would it change early gameplay?
I don't think Dinnerbone realises how neatly this would fit in with Better Than Wolves.
It should make the BTW early game even more challenging and I love a challenge :).

Link:
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 4859629568
TheYaMeZ

Re: Possible change to stone recipes by Dinnerbone

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Honestly I don't think it changes anything really. You'd spend an extra couple of minutes waiting for the furnace/crucible and that'd be the extent of it. The only purpose it would serve is to make recipies a tiny bit easier to remember as you won't have to remember if its cobble or smooth.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

This does however make it a bit harder to make stone backup tools on the fly...
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

You have iron everything after a couple in game days in vanilla, so really only affects tools until you have a base set up. Day 2 or 3? . I wouldn't really see this having a huge impact on vanilla other than being a pain in the arse. I get the impression they have looked at the changes FC made to early game balance and wanted to achieve the same while putting the persons own spin on it. Then "leaked it" to the board for approval.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It doesn't matter what game mode you use, this would only slow things down by 30 to 60 seconds. In vanilla you go straight to iron and continue your 15 minute quest for the first diamonds. In BTW, you leave the rest of the cobble to smelt while you run off with your stone pick or axe to harvest some more materials. He's got the right idea but like I replied to him, this would be putting a novelty band-aid on a sucking chest wound.
Better is the enemy of Good
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

It seems to me as more of an inconvenience than a feature that is actually adding to the gameplay, especially compared to some of FC's changes.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheRedBrain

Post by TheRedBrain »

SilverWraith wrote:Dinnerbone put this on twitter:
Dinnerbone wrote:Food for thought: If all the recipes (except furnace) needed smooth/smelted stone and not cobble, how much would it change early gameplay?
But when furnaces also need smooth stone...
You must search and find a village before you can smelt something...
But honestly I don´t think that this feature would be implemented in vMinecraft...
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

people seem to forget that stone tools are reasonably fast and incredibly durable for what they're made of, after all, why would you make an iron pick that takes coal when you have an entire stack of cobble to make 21 stone picks?

it will make people need either a decent supply of coal to maintain stone pick production (thus using more picks to get established) or motivate people to find and use iron (since "do I really want to use this coal on making stone picks, or do I want to make an iron one?"), or get a decent supply of charcoal (which, unlike in BTW, isn't automatable)

plus, think of the situations when you realize that your pick is about to break and you can't just make a new one quickly, either the tension of needing to find your way out before the pick breaks, or it will force you to make a small base to gather resources to remake picks again :P
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

Doesn't make much sense. Cobblestone is technically lots of little rocks, and so it seems logical that you might be able to make tools with it. Smooth stone is essentially a boulder (or at least a large compressed mass of cobble) and so it wouldn't be useful in real life to make tools with.

In my opinion, flint tools would make much more sense. But of course, this is Mojang we're talking about.
julkwiec

Post by julkwiec »

Well, since Steve is able to tear apart a log into planks with his bare hands, I don't see anything awkward in clawing a pickaxe head out of a boulder ;)
TheRedBrain

Post by TheRedBrain »

I think it makes sense to craft tools with flint and furnaces with smooth stone BLOCKS because then you can mine iron but you must find a village with a blacksmith to build your own furnace
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

TheRedBrain wrote:I think it makes sense to craft tools with flint and furnaces with smooth stone BLOCKS because then you can mine iron but you must find a village with a blacksmith to build your own furnace
Forcing the player to find a village before they can make a compass or any sort of non-stone tool would be absolutely terrible. It would effectively force the nomad playstyle on everyone, which is the exact opposite of stated intent.

As far as your belief that smoothstone would be required for furnaces, I refrained from this on your last post but you really need to go back and re-read what you yourself quoted before you go any further down this derailment.
Better is the enemy of Good