FPS drop since 4.58

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
DaveYanakov

Re: FPS drop since 4.58

Post by DaveYanakov »

Ran up a creative world just to see if there was any change in chunk generation and the difference is spectacular. Peaked at 119 chunk updates and never dropped below 41 fps, usually was above 55. Not a single transparent world error in twenty minutes of flying across the map where they used to occur every five chunks traveled.
Still getting as much major lag in the nether as ever but I'm willing to lay down money that it has more to do with the number of lava flow updates and sheer mass of non-air blocks.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...wow, ok, I wasn't expecting such a definitive result here.

Keep in mind guys, this is just me fixing the error I made about a month ago. Since this is working so well, more goodies to come in the near future :)
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Seems to be working well for me too. In the heart of my BTW world before the patch my frame rate tended in the low to mid 20's peaking at around 40. With the patch I now get steady frame rates in the low 30's and often never drop below 28 FPS. This fix is pretty sweet. :)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

I tried it under raining conditions which usually tanked my performance.
Before fix: 11 FPS and 1 second input delay when exposed to rain
After fix: 20 FPS and no delay

My FPS didn't improve much but that's because of my specs and the fact that it was still raining, but the delay was fixed by this and it was a big problem for me. Really really nice, now I hate rain a little bit less than before, thank you FC.

EDIT: the rain delay is still there, it's just much less noticeable. Also, the class file messes up the connected textures mod.
Last edited by Solymr on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Before: 20-45 FPS
Now: 60-70 FPS

I can't thank you enough.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awesomesauce :)

My apologies for that happening in the first place guys. I must have been having an off day when I did that, then forgot all about it. I didn't even think of that bit of code when this issue came up, and didn't remember it until I saw it while performing the update to 1.5.

On the bright side though, like I said, this will mean that there's *way* more I can do to help people performance to improve it beyond vanilla standards.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

After some testing, I'm seeing about a 20% increase in FPS with the patch. Thanks a lot, FC! My low-end computer needs all the help it can get.