New Release! (BTW 4.65) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
wizardglick

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.65) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by wizardglick »

I farmed (and ate) a mushroom today. I might not starve :-)
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Husbag3 wrote:As someone that predominantly plays on peaceful, I've felt rather out of the loop with the mod for the last couple of months.
If you want an easier play experience, lookup a seed that has a mushroom biome near the spawn point.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
MechanicalYeti

Post by MechanicalYeti »

This is such an exciting release! Each one lately has made me wince at least once, which I'm taking as a good thing. I can't wait until this weekend so my buddies and I can start a new BTW world - and I can hear the despair in their voices :)

I love how important you've made iron. It really makes the player decide what "branch" they want to go into and leads to plenty of different play styles. Changes like these are why it's hard to go back to vanilla.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

0player wrote:PS: Better Than Wolves, bringing people World Restart Syndrome three versions in a row? YOU HAVE BECOME WHAT YOU LOATHED MOST! :)
Well, nothing forces you to delete your main world...

It's the way I'm using to check the new features. Although the Fun (yeah, that one, [whispers until the sound becomes unintelligible]) one in this release is obvious in old worlds, too.

Hey, FlowerChild, thank you for yet another awesome release. This one is epic.
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

chaoticneutral wrote:Hey, FlowerChild, thank you for yet another awesome release. This one is epic.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. The balance discussion thread was taking on a distinctly whiny tone, which was really bringing me down, so it's good to hear :)
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

I started playing this release after not playing BTW for around a year. Things sure have changed!

It feels like playing Minecraft for the first time, back in the Alpha days. I used to not understand the principles of ore spawning, branch mining, farming, etc. I distinctly remember having a lot of trouble finding iron, a shortage that the iron nugget system has recreated. Mobs are less predictable, so I am actually scared of them. Between food scarcity and nerfed beds, I actually have to plan my days and nights. I used to play minecraft while watching youtube videos or Netflix, but I feel the need to pay attention while playing BTW, and I'm not bored in the slightest.

I always comment to my friends that I miss the feeling of playing Minecraft for the first time. There was a certain sense of wonder, exploration, and challenge that I had not felt for a long time. Until today. Don't let the whining get you down. I can't thank you enough FlowerChild!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

savagelung wrote:I always comment to my friends that I miss the feeling of playing Minecraft for the first time. There was a certain sense of wonder, exploration, and challenge that I had not felt for a long time. Until today. Don't let the whining get you down. I can't thank you enough FlowerChild!
And fuck man, here's the other post and it's no less intelligent or pertinent.

Where have you been all my life? Will you marry me? :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

nmarshall23 wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:As someone that predominantly plays on peaceful, I've felt rather out of the loop with the mod for the last couple of months.
If you want an easier play experience, lookup a seed that has a mushroom biome near the spawn point.
Using seeds that I know the landscape of always felt like cheating a little bit to me. Over the past couple of days I have come to realise that the key to successfully killing the mobs is to take it slowly and plan what you're doing rather than rush in and hope for the best.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
brab

Post by brab »

This release is so much fun! I started a new world (even though I had finally managed to get a blaze rod in my old one), and it feels like the good old minecraft. I love how I just had to choose between crafting a hoe or a sword (the hoe won), the feeling of accomplishment when having torches, and the general tension in the game: will I explore, how will I get food, should I settle down ...

Thank you.
werewolflord911

Post by werewolflord911 »

love the stuff, wish i had MC so i could play it, eh. ill just watch Icy for now
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Haven't played in a while, and probably won't get enough time to devote to playing with these awesome changes, but I think I promised a donation a while back so I just sent one :)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I have only played for 2 hours so far, and I've died quite a lot, but I love the changes so far. I don't think I've experienced everything yet but that's beside the point. Just wanted to make sure you know that I love what you're doing here, FlowerChild. I know I don't say it very often but BTW has given me so much enjoyment!
Aksava

Post by Aksava »

What version of minecraft is this update for?

I tried installing with MC patcher and it insta crashed.. x.x and i tried with multi mc same thing. or do i not use modloader?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Aksava wrote:What version of minecraft is this update for?

I tried installing with MC patcher and it insta crashed.. x.x and i tried with multi mc same thing. or do i not use modloader?

If you have seen the official MCF topic, then you should know it's for 1.4.7.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

Flowerchild, this release is awesome. So awesome it has prompted me to start a new world. I love that all the recent changes extend the period in which survival is an actual challenge, but still manageable if you are cautious. Snip for spoilers - FlowerSo thank you, good sir!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LaserCooled wrote:***Fucking snip****
There's always at least one ass-hat that doesn't understand what "no spoilers" means.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

FlowerChild wrote:
chaoticneutral wrote:Hey, FlowerChild, thank you for yet another awesome release. This one is epic.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. The balance discussion thread was taking on a distinctly whiny tone, which was really bringing me down, so it's good to hear :)
I get the feeling that was mainly because of my post there, so I really do apologise if it was seen as whiny; certainly not my intention, far from it.

I wanted to hold off posting anything here until I've had a good chance to actually try out the new features, so now I have and I wasn't disappointed. This release has been awesome and I'm truly thankful there's someone like you who puts the time and effort into realising the potential of MC as a fun and challenging *game*. Thank you!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wibbles wrote: I wanted to hold off posting anything here until I've had a good chance to actually try out the new features, so now I have and I wasn't disappointed. This release has been awesome and I'm truly thankful there's someone like you who puts the time and effort into realising the potential of MC as a fun and challenging *game*. Thank you!
Nah man, it wasn't your post. Yours wasn't particularly relevant, as bows becoming more dominant is a good thing IMO, but it was more the frequent use of the word "boring" and such in multiple other posts that was bringing me down, and thus I realized that thread was becoming counter productive in sapping my motivation to work on the mod, when it was intended to help me with the overall balance process.

Again, not your fault, people just seemed to be losing track of what the "be polite" part of the rules in the OP actually meant, the associated observations were becoming less and less useful, and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I'm also getting a wealth of balancing data from the let's play videos that people are making about this release, so such a thread is not as relevant given I'm able to observe their play directly.

I may start up another similar thread once people have more of a chance to play with the release, as it occurs to me that by opening up such discussion too soon, people tend to respond reflexively (and negatively) to increases in difficulty and such rather than providing observations based on extended play.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

FlowerChild wrote:but it was more the frequent use of the word "boring" and such in multiple other posts that was bringing me down,
Well, from my experience the game is just getting more and more interesting and exciting, especially the recent development of the early game. The releases just seem to be getting better and better recently. Theres a game where my Minecraft used to be.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Simurgh wrote: Well, from my experience the game is just getting more and more interesting and exciting, especially the recent development of the early game. The releases just seem to be getting better and better recently. Theres a game where my Minecraft used to be.
Oh, I know man. I firmly believe in what I'm doing, and you guys know that when I decide on something, it's almost impossible to sway me :)

It's just a drag when you work hard on a new release, are feeling satisfied with what you've done, and knee-jerk comments start bringing you down. It saps a lot of fun out of what should otherwise be a joyous event, and one to take pride in, and I am keenly aware of how managing my own psychology is a major part of game development in general.

So, if I find that a particular influence is thus affecting my psychology and making development more difficult than it needs to be, I seek to eliminate the effect that influence has on me, whether it be a thread, a forum member, what I had for lunch that day, or what have you.

Closing down a thread like that thus doesn't represent an ongoing problem, but rather me taking action to resolve one.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FlowerChild wrote:Closing down a thread like that thus doesn't represent an ongoing problem, but rather me taking action to resolve one.
Glad to hear that!
As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of us out there who very much enjoy what you're doing and want nothing else than to keep you in the best of moods for it. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tekei wrote: Glad to hear that!
As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of us out there who very much enjoy what you're doing and want nothing else than to keep you in the best of moods for it. :)
Thanks man, and yeah, I'm aware.

I think people do tend to forget though, that my enjoyment of making the mod is a crucial element in its ongoing development. Thus, keeping things light and not bringing me down even when you're trying to express something you view as negative is of benefit to everyone. You guys play the mod to have fun, and I make it to have fun, and I think everyone can understand that if you're playing a game and a crowd of people is looking over your shoulder and bitching at you about how you're playing it, that's just no fun at all.

It's a big part of why I am so harsh with forum moderation. I view the forum primarily as existing to benefit the mod's development and serve the people that enjoy playing it. If aspects of how things are going on the forum are negatively impacting my spirits, and thus my enjoyment of making the mod, those aspects are then directly hurting me, and by extension, the mod, and by extension, the community that enjoys the mod.

Hence, I strongly believe such things have no place here and rapidly act to stamp them out when I see them. To me, this is a place for people that enjoy the mod and want what's best for it, not for those that are behaving in a manner destructive to it thriving, whether that be through ignorance or intent.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Just sat down and recorded 1.5 hrs of game play (coming soon to a YT near you) and I have got to say man, Holy fucking Christ this is sweet! I have been playing BTW in the safety of my year old base on Edolas, these changes that you have made are just... super. If you do get a chance to watch my video you will see that some of the changes you made did in fact make me squeal like a little girl! Looking forward to whatever else I can uncover! ^_^ Thanks for the renewal of MC man!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Bluephoenix49

Post by Bluephoenix49 »

The download link isn't working for me :'(
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Bluephoenix49 wrote:The download link isn't working for me :'(
It seems to be working fine. If you still can't download it, you might want to create a topic in Tech Support.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.