Request for 4.65 Let's Play action

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PatriotBob

Re: Request for 4.65 Let's Play action

Post by PatriotBob »

Sarudak wrote:I can't seem to figure out how to get camstudio to pick up my microphone and WePlay won't download for me. :(
Heh. You're telling me, I've got a page of bash script with pipes going every which way to get recording working well on Linux. :)

I think I've got it about working, but I'm still working out the kinks in recording. (mainly my not talking for the vast majority of it.. :P )

Once I get a feel for OpenShot and can clean up some of my derp, I get to tackle how to do the youtubes.

All this waiting is killing me, FlowerChild has a new release out and I'm not playing it or reading about it until I get this working right... THE TORMENT!
johnt

Post by johnt »

I like how many times you basically say: "I'll just do such-and-such" and then "Oh, damn, so that didn't work, now what".
Ulfengaard wrote:Episode 1a:
Spoiler
Show
Episode 1b:
Spoiler
Show
There ya go. I hope that is helpful in your development process. Forgive the allergies.

This was good, but there is so much new material that I think there will probably be an episode 2. I can feel that I'm just nicking the tip of the proverbial iceberg here.

Oh, and this was also a good lesson in the difference between talking on the forum and getting more deeply into the mod. There were many things that I forgot or just didn't know about.

EDIT: Updated status. Somehow, 1b made it up first. Way to go, YouTube.

EDIT 2: Vids finished processing.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

johnt wrote:I like how many times you basically say: "I'll just do such-and-such" and then "Oh, damn, so that didn't work, now what".
Heh. I intentionally avoided some information in recent updates as I was planning on taking them on in this fashion anyway. Now I'm really stumbling around in the dark, which is somewhat comical and somewhat not. At least now I have a plan. Since I'm feeling fired up about that, there'll probably be an episode 2 tomorrow. At the very least, I'm hoping that I am catching a relatively new BTW player experience for you, FC. We'll see how it all turns out.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

Well, all 70-odd minutes of usable footage I thought I had turned out to be corrupted. No idea why. I'll be working to fix it, but unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to put up a video. I could record again, but obviously it wouldn't be the first time through and that was what this thread was for. However, I am in the process of writing up what I experienced, so I think I'll be posting that in the spoiler thread later.

By the way - brilliant release, but I'll go into that in more depth in the proper thread. And thanks for the kick in the pants to get recording. Valuable learning experiences, and all that.
Six

Post by Six »

Ulfengaard wrote:
johnt wrote:I like how many times you basically say: "I'll just do such-and-such" and then "Oh, damn, so that didn't work, now what".
Heh. I intentionally avoided some information in recent updates as I was planning on taking them on in this fashion anyway. Now I'm really stumbling around in the dark, which is somewhat comical and somewhat not. At least now I have a plan. Since I'm feeling fired up about that, there'll probably be an episode 2 tomorrow. At the very least, I'm hoping that I am catching a relatively new BTW player experience for you, FC. We'll see how it all turns out.
And you don't have to worry about 'expert BTW players' laughing at all the 'incorrect' choices you make, because with all the recent changes everyone is having to relearn how to play the game and no one knows what the 'best' choices are (or even if there are any). The response in IRC to people watching your video was more "Interesting, I'd never considered making a hoe first, I wonder how this will work out".
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Finally got my video up. I apologize for the audio issues, but here it is!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Icy: Just a heads up. Somebody posted a MASSIVE spoiler in the comments of episode 4 of your let's play (Rawny...fucking genius move there). If you see this before seeing that comment, please try to stay away from it, as it pretty much invalidates the point of this whole exercise.

I've watched two hours straight of you playing wondering when you'll notice this aspect and how you'll react, so of course he just blurted it right out.
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

FlowerChild wrote:Icy: Just a heads up. Somebody posted a MASSIVE spoiler in the comments of episode 4 of your let's play (Rawny...fucking genius move there). If you see this before seeing that comment, please try to stay away from it, as it pretty much invalidates the point of this whole exercise.

I've watched two hours straight of you playing wondering when you'll notice this aspect and how you'll react, so of course he just blurted it right out.
I just saw that comment myself, and downvoted the comment hopefully hiding it from view.

I'll have my second video up sometime later tonight, and then get more up tomorrow morning while my fiancee's at work.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I downvoted it myself when I saw it, and when I just checked again it had been flagged as spam and hidden.

I'm really hoping icy didn't see that one. I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for him to make that discovery himself.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Trying my best to avoid spoilers myself, as I'm hoping to do a bit of the early game with the (new) High Stakes crew some time early next week. Some of us definately need a lesson in how good we have it with a well-developed base :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just as an FYI, Rawny just managed to bump it up to a perma-ban on these forums through being thoroughly unapologetic about the whole thing. Major rule #3 there.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

My first episode is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZg9wwhsNc

I did watch Icy's first two episodes, so I may have gotten a bit spoiled. But I haven't really played since 4.57.
Last edited by Jeet on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Jeet wrote:I did watch Icy's first two episodes, so I may have gotten a bit spoiled. But I haven't really played since 1.57.
I think this just naturally happens as you go along. I was having some difficulty with one of the features and misperceived it as a possible technical issue until my buddy finally spoiled that particular feature for me. I had had a sneaking suspicion anyway, but I think part of me just didn't want to believe it. :D

Just avoid spoilers the best you can. That's all anyone can ask.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm having the opposite issue with dxtory. It's recording my voice quite well but I can't get it to pick up the game sounds. Going to press on with it as in game sounds aren't exactly vital but if anyone has some familiarity with the software I would appreciate advice.
Better is the enemy of Good
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

DaveYanakov wrote:I'm having the opposite issue with dxtory. It's recording my voice quite well but I can't get it to pick up the game sounds. Going to press on with it as in game sounds aren't exactly vital but if anyone has some familiarity with the software I would appreciate advice.
Very basic question, but have you gone into the audio setup tab and added a second audio channel? You can set one to record from your microphone and the other to record from your speakers/headphones (whatever you're using to listen to game sound). Also, have you made sure that it's recording in the right format? I've only starting using dxtory recently so if neither of those are the problem then I can't think of anything else - sorry if you've done both and I Captain Obvious'd all over the thread.
JoshGayou

Post by JoshGayou »

Okay, all. Here's part 1 from our server. Part 2 to come shortly. More videos to hopefully follow. I realize the mic is picking up more of my breathing than it should. I'll see to that in future episodes.

Video is currently uploading. It will be here when ready: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikc8dtdn ... e=youtu.be

Josh
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Ok I think I've conquered all the technical hurtles with Linux recording. :)
On to the LP!

http://youtu.be/rgKXmLXYR4Y
This is the first episode, I may record a few more this weekend. (Wife permitting)

I've never done any recording before so any suggestions are welcome.
Be gentle...

Edit: And today I learned that it takes longer for youtube to encode videos than it does locally. Live and learn. :)
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Episode 2 of my experience is up and ready for viewing! Be aware, my video does contain spoilers!
Spoiler
Show
Edit: Episode 3 is up too!
Spoiler
Show
Final Edit: Episode 4 is up. If I post more here, I'll make my own topic for it, or stick it in the LP criticizm thread in Off Topic.
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Kaitocain on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I have played for about 2 hours now, and I really doubt that I've experienced everything that is new with the update yet, so I will record at least one more session before wrapping this up completely. Here is the first batch of videos though:
Spoiler
Show
Full Playlist:
Tekei Plays BTW 4.65

Separate video links:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
I should probably mention that I do play on hard difficulty and in a large biomes world. I know this is not what you are balancing for, FlowerChild, but I hope my videos are of use anyway. If not then... well... I guess there are plenty of other videos you can use.
I'm also sorry that I don't have a better microphone and I'm really not used to talking this much while I play. My accent is probably quite awkward for those of you who speak english as a native tongue, and I'm definitely guilty of not being able to find all the words I'm looking for at times. I hope you can enjoy the videos none the less.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's a couple days late and not quite a dollar short but here we go. Sound effects by Icy til I figure out the recording software.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
johnt

Post by johnt »

edit: this post probably belonged int eh spoiler thread, carry on.
JoshGayou

Post by JoshGayou »

Part 2 is in the can and processing at Youtube now. When it's available you can get it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2y0HeE ... e=youtu.be
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

My playlist is updated with another batch of videos. There are now 13 parts in total. I still need to record some more in order to reach a proper farm and hopefully reach the windmill.
The link again, for convenience.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Not really played "BTW" for a while (just pretty much spend my life building :P), so I think this is a good time test/see the progress from start and to aslo start making videos again. :) I'll likely begin tonight, I just have to see whether to do it in a Single Player world, or set off to a new area on Edolas and start off like that.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Ulfengaard wrote:Episode 1a:
Spoiler
Show
Episode 1b:
Spoiler
Show
There ya go. I hope that is helpful in your development process. Forgive the allergies.

This was good, but there is so much new material that I think there will probably be an episode 2. I can feel that I'm just nicking the tip of the proverbial iceberg here.

Oh, and this was also a good lesson in the difference between talking on the forum and getting more deeply into the mod. There were many things that I forgot or just didn't know about.

EDIT: Updated status. Somehow, 1b made it up first. Way to go, YouTube.

EDIT 2: Vids finished processing.
Just finished your first vid and I loved it. I really liked how you jumped in without looking everything up first. It was really cool to see you learn the changes through play rather than knowing the changes ahead of time and being prepared.