New Release! (BTW V4.60)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Katalliaan

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.60)

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, I think the wiki's been updated, although most of the food items'pages are just redirects to the hardcore hunger page and the new icons haven't been uploaded yet. I can't try it out yet, but it looks interesting.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Wow. I won't have much time to play BTW until late May, but I can't wait to try this out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: This is your idea of wrapping up btw eh? :P
Just wanted to go back and address this one:

Hehe...yeah, I realize it may not seem like I'm "wrapping things up" with this kind of massive change, but I actually mentioned this one on IRC last night, and this is what's going on:

I'm trying to "wrap up" BTW as a *game*, much as I would do if I were working on one of my previous commercial titles. That's not just restricted to BTW features, but extends to everything in vanilla as well, which is why we're seeing stuff like HC Hunger & Villagers at this late stage.

I want to be able to step away from BTW satisfied that it represents a complete gameplay experience, and that includes tying up many of Mojang's loose ends as well. In the case of both food and villagers these were both potentially really cool and huge aspects of the game that fell flat because they never received a reasonable amount of polish. Obviously, Mojang is never going to get around to providing it (and without Notch it doesn't even look like they're capable of it), so if I want MC to be "complete", I feel it falls to me to do this kind of work.

So yeah man, while this may feel like an awful lot of new content coming from someone that's intent on moving on, it's all just part of the process ;)
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

/massiveerectionmode on
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Are melons supposed to pop off as intact items when you use your fist?
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Are melons supposed to pop off as intact items when you use your fist?
Errr...no. I'll take a look.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Well my computer broke last night, so it'll be about a week or more before I can play this...

Damn, can't believe how much I'm missing out, this sounds awesome.

Good job with all this man, I can't wait to play.

(Don't starve joke goes here)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Whithers are scary as hell now! I had gone exploring through the new nether infrastructure and got lost after returning to the overworld. After going about four kilometers in the wrong direction, finding a massive mushroom island and setting up a temporary base with which to make a compass, I headed back toward spawn.

Just to the west of the mushrooms. I happened across a very well lit portal and jumped in, hoping for a shortcut. What I got was a highly exposed platform in sight of at least three withers and a blaze. As I frantically attempted to retreat back through the rift, I was blasted by a ghast fireball which cut off my escape. As I ran frantically for safety I found myself crippled within seconds and was dispatched with ease depite full iron armor.

I am now questing for a way home, having respawned in desert surrounded by snow. To any who receive this signal, please save the diamonds...
Better is the enemy of Good
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

concerning the melons popping off as a block when using your fist(or any other item) I believe this was due to HC melons.

EDIT: I also just wanna mention that I too am enjoying hc hunger and have recently died (slightly) because of it's impact. I was headed off to check out the nether fortress hoping the long sprint would let me try out some of the new food items. When I arrive, there is a blaze and wither guarding the other side of the iron door. I try to attack the blaze and shut the door real fast and get hit by the wither skelly. I back off, let the wither effect wear off and wait to regen... and wait... and wait... even with full hunger it took forever to fully heal myself. After waiting a while, due to my impatience(I am missing 3 hearts) I try to kill the blaze one more time. To my dismay, I don't shut the door soon enough and he comes in and quickly cleans me up. T_T I then spend the next hour getting back to my base. I commit the high crime of slaying 2 lime green sheep just to keep my stomach full.

So yeah, I'm loving hc hunger but atm(it may still be too early for a judgment call) I feel that the nerf to regen was rather hard.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Well well, the seed "Hard-core-hung-er" spawns you on an island. With no trees. It's literally a 15x15 island with nothing but a few tall grass. Great work as always FC ;)
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
leomaxwell973

Post by leomaxwell973 »

I for one am disappointed in this update, and though i am sure there are some who enjoy the hardcore modes, my friends and i do not. I would like to see further updates of this mod include more items, mechanics, machines etc. (Without the reasoning being for a hardcore mode) and the option to disable each and every hardcore option. I was going to run my server with this, but with the new hardcore hunger that does not seem possible to disable i will have to run vanilla or run other mods.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

leomaxwell973 wrote:I for one am disappointed in this update, and though i am sure there are some who enjoy the hardcore modes, my friends and i do not. I would like to see further updates of this mod include more items, mechanics, machines etc. and the option to disable each and every hardcore option. I was going to run my server with this, but with the new hardcore hunger that does not seem possible to disable i will have to run vanilla or run other mods.
Oh well, what a shame, I am sure you will be missed.

On topic: I am now going to plan out a trophy room full of booby trapped cake in far out locations, just to see if hungry people fall for it.
On seconds thoughts, being fat might make you blast resistant so it might not work. To testing!
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

yes!!! hardcore additions are by far some of the best additions to this mod FlowerChild, despite them usually being less extensive than the block systems you have made (this one possibly being an exception), they really help with the 'feel' of the game man and this is looking great, can't wait to test it and find out how it amplifies the need for farm automation! thanks man!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

leomaxwell973 wrote:I for one am disappointed in this update, and though i am sure there are some who enjoy the hardcore modes, my friends and i do not. I would like to see further updates of this mod include more items, mechanics, machines etc. (Without the reasoning being for a hardcore mode) and the option to disable each and every hardcore option. I was going to run my server with this, but with the new hardcore hunger that does not seem possible to disable i will have to run vanilla or run other mods.
Yup, sucks to be you. Enjoy your other mods.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

@ leomaxwell973
The issue with making the modes optional is, as has been said many times before, that it introduces too many variables. FC has no idea how people will be playing the mod, so he can't effectively balance things. It also means people will inevitably take the easy road out, instead of going with the more fun route of difficult, but more enjoyable, progress. So either deal with it, or in the immortal words of FC, "Don't like the mod? Fuck off."
EDIT: Ninja'd

EDIT 2: I also did manage to squeak in a bit of time, and I must say that not having that saturation cushion at the start really makes you want to get food immediately. I love it and can't wait to play more of it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

With an update like this, that is doubly true.

I spent a weak and a half tweaking the values for *one* mode of play and level of difficulty just to get them to a point where I was comfortable calling it a good "first pass".

Now, imagine me trying to do that for say 3 levels of difficulty, or even two. Inevitably, what happens is that focus is thus placed on just one, and then some half-ass measures (like adding hit points to mobs or whatever) get implemented to fudge it to be more or less difficult for other modes.

This is pretty typical in game development with options being one of the most dangerous things you can introduce into a game from a development perspective. They eat away at time and creative potential in very subtle ways that I think most players, and even inexperienced developers are oblivious to. If taken far enough, they can result in design paralysis where you've introduced so many variables into the design equation that you can't make a move due to not being able to predict the impact it will have on anyone's gameplay experience.

In a totally open ended game like MC where the design variables are so incredibly abundant, this problem becomes even worse as you already have so many to consider.

Honestly, I think it's a huge problem with vanilla's development right now, but the developers seem entirely oblivious to it and just keep jamming in more options left and right.

This is the way I do things because I know from experience that it's the right way to go, especially for a lone developer like myself, and I'm certainly not going to do otherwise just because it offends the sensibilities of some.
Bluephoenix49

Post by Bluephoenix49 »

Don't Starve everyone ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FlowerChild wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Are melons supposed to pop off as intact items when you use your fist?
Errr...no. I'll take a look.
Wait! No, that is right, and was part of HC melons. I brain farted on the melon slice to melon recipe when talking about the silk touch thing, as that's vanilla rules.

I still don't like the idea of auto-magically reassembling melons though, so I'll be leaving that recipe out. What I did do for this next release though was limit melon and pumpkin stack sizes to 16 to prevent them becoming the new food of choice due to being so easy to transport.

With that, a stack of either melons or pumpkins will provide hunger which isn't even close to the efficiency of the higher tier food items, whereas right now, melon stacks are actually crazy effective.

Ack! So many variables! :)
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I simply must start a new world for this, in my current world food is far too trivial to give this update the play it deserves. I must say, this far exceeded my initial imaginings of what Hardcore Hunger would be, and it's going to be really exciting to effectively relearn this game from the ground up. Truly a remarkable thing you've done FC, you have my continued gratitude for your amazing game (I can't even consider it a mod anymore, as Minecraft without Better Than Wolves is just not a game to me at all.)

Cheers. :D
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Minecraftgeek70

Post by Minecraftgeek70 »

FlowerChild wrote:Fucking epic if I do say so myself. Now excuse me while I chug this beer in satisfaction :)
*applauds* a WELL deserved beer too sir! Impressive stuff. Look forward to playing with these features!