New Release! (BTW V4.60)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DNoved1

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.60)

Post by DNoved1 »

So the team at mojang spent several months making 1.5, for which the only thing I actually care about is the redstone block(aesthetics, I mean look at that gorgeous red).

Meanwhile, in a couple of weeks you come up with this. *Massive face-palm

Also,
Changed hunger to decrease slowly with time, regardless of whether you are doing anything or not, which discourages AFK play
Cheers to the final death of AFK! (I know I've abused it in the past myself, but I look forward to the new era of not playing Progress Quest)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Wow. This is going to require a serious shift in my gameplay style! Bravo FC, fantastic ideas all around.
Gears

Post by Gears »

4.60- the lunchtime update!

Thanks for this, man. This is going to be a huge game changer and I can't wait to try it out later. I'll see if I can slide a few more dollars your way.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Man, this is amazing! Nice job! I unfortunately cannot try it out since my laptop power switch broke, and it will be out of commission for the next week or two. I can't wait to play with this stuff.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Lars wrote:Impressive. You've made an entire new mod really! I expect that wenever I'll be starting anew again, I'll die a lot from not having any wheat to eat as I'm pretty bad getting started quickly at the start of a game :P Hopefully this change will make me a better player in the end ^^
Also, I think the kebab recipe is totally awesome! =D
The more I think about it the more I realize that FC doesn't make a mod, he makes a mod pack.

One in which he meticulously weighs all mods, finds them wanting and writes his own. So we're left with an entire mod pack that tries to murder us at every turn in a consistent, well designed manner. And it's amazing. Every week almost we're surprised with updates. Will it update existing parts? Add an new "mod" to the mix? Only the great FC knows. All I know is it's awesome.

The only thing that holds FlowerChild back is his refusal to change world gen, but that's why we have RTH...

Amazing work FlowerChild.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

So I haven't been nearly as terrified of a creeper for awhile, even the ones that charge you at superspeed along the road. I was heading to the weigh station to grind some wheat and was too worried about hunger issues to wait for daylight. After a couple spiders and a skeleton, I found myself wounded and limping. That's when the creeper spotted me and gave chase while I was unable to do more than walk as quickly as possible and pray.

I made it without damaging the roadway but it was a good 400 meters before I was willing to turn around and look to see if it was safe.
Better is the enemy of Good
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Wow. This update looks incredible! I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but man, this looks so awesome! Thank you for making Minecraft a game worth playing!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Having recently starved to death during winter in Don't Starve (I picked it up for the first time since it was available on Steam the other day in lieu of you doing hardcore hunger), this update has excited me more than many many previous updates. Not to distract from how great they are, but to emphasize how spectacular this one is. I have never been this excited to update BTW. Thank you.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

So I just started a new world and it's fantastic. I realized my play style changed immediately. I'm out exploring in larger and larger rings since my only real food source is meat right now. Each trip out I see it being more and more risky since I find less animals and must travel further back to my base. I've realized I may need to just head out with a bunch of torches and try to find a village. I've never really looked for villages, at least not this early, so this is awesome.

Thanks for thinking this through so much and making hard changes. The wheat restriction is absolutely critical to mix with the hunger changes, well done!
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

One thing to say. THANK BLOODY GOD! STEVE HAS FINALLY WORKED OUT HOW TO MAKE A SANDWICH!!!

Seriously....you have no idea how much it's bugged me that he can't work out how to cut some bread in half and jam the meat in there -_-

I've actually been looking for BTW compatible food mods. Guess I don't need to anymore :)

Massive thanks for the cool stuff FlowerChild!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I think i will need a proper kitchen now.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Oh my god, I was under attack and was "dying". That was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in minecraft. I'm now in a hole crying.
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

oh my god, this is so awesome! How could I have been so stupid as to accidentally update minecraft?! But, thank you so much for the work you put into this mod, It's practically it's own game by this point!
0 days without accident
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Really enjoying HC hunger so far. Reminds me of games like Star Ocean: Second Story where there was all this interesting food you could discover that would have nice bonuses. As a server admin I love the anti-AFK aspect of it too.
Mud

Post by Mud »

I'd been waiting for HC Hunger to start a new world (the changes to wheat made it even more justified) and after playing for a couple of hours I like it. I'm curious to find the "sweet spot" of both hunger and fat.

Thankfully there are loads of sheep for slaughter.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Really glad you removed apple drops. Now in the beginning of the game you cant just cut down a tree and be fed for another ten minutes :)

>.>
<.<

Now excuse me while I start a new world and let my inner man out to beat some cows to death with my bare hands to survive :D
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
brab

Post by brab »

This is great, thanks a lot!

As a way to find villages, I accidentally discovered one. You die, a lot, with hardcore spawn on. You get to explore a lot of the world that way.

Which just made me realize: this make hardcore spawn even more interesting. Even if I know where I end up (I have died a lot, thus have created skyway roads in many places), I may not be able to simply run home but would need to stock up on food first.
Six

Post by Six »

brab wrote:This is great, thanks a lot!

As a way to find villages, I accidentally discovered one. You die, a lot, with hardcore spawn on. You get to explore a lot of the world that way.

Which just made me realize: this make hardcore spawn even more interesting. Even if I know where I end up (I have died a lot, thus have created skyway roads in many places), I may not be able to simply run home but would need to stock up on food first.
Huh, didn't consider this impact. No longer is it simply 'make a compass, head back to spawn'. And as time goes on and you kill more of the wild animals out there for food, getting back will become harder and harder.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I've been singing this to myself while tending to my farms x)
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Dear God. Thanks man.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Six wrote:Huh, didn't consider this impact. No longer is it simply 'make a compass, head back to spawn'. And as time goes on and you kill more of the wild animals out there for food, getting back will become harder and harder.
Passive mobs respawn, so this isn't so much an issue.

HC spawning is less reliable as a form of transit when playing in Large Biomes as you're much more likely to respawn within the biome you died. This makes nether portal railways the more desirable mode of travel between biomes. Despite it being said that Large Biomes is a non-standard mode of play (and thus not supported) I think it ties into Hardcore spawning nicely as a means preventing the player from killing themselves repeatedly in order to find villages.

Back on topic: I was initially off-put by the emphasis that HC Hunger places on finding villages, but after playing for a bit my tune has changed and now I'm actually pretty excited to get myself to a point in which I can go hunt for one.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Mud wrote:Passive mobs respawn, so this isn't so much an issue.
Is this true? I thought that was removed way back before release.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Six

Post by Six »

Ulfengaard wrote:
Mud wrote:Passive mobs respawn, so this isn't so much an issue.
Is this true? I thought that was removed way back before release.
I believe it is still true, it's just at a much lower rate than when chunks are first generated.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh wow guys! I'm rather blown away by the reaction here. I honestly didn't realize how positive it would be :)

I just awoke from a very long sleep, to be greeted by this outpouring of support, and it sure is a great way to start the day.
MoRmEnGiL wrote: Now if only block type food like cake was automatable, we could have food block dispencers around our base, so we wouldn't need to carry food around. But that is suggstion territory, and holy cow there is too much going on on this release to wrap my head around.
Hehe...yes, it's suggestion territory, but if you read over the first item in the change-log again, I think you may be in for a pleasant surprise ;)
Starshifterxen wrote: I write this from that hole, hoping the creeper will leave soon.

My food is running out...
I was hoping I'd find stories like this one I woke up :)

Just in my brief time testing, I had two of those myself. One was the slime story that I told in my dev diary thread, and another was trying to chase down a sheep on a frozen over lake while starving, thus doing hardly any damage to it, and thus having to chase it further and further onto the ice while being unable to keep up with it when it ran away from my blows.

This was also having approached the sheep bare-handed to begin with only to have it totally ignore my blows like I was just patting it on the head or something :)

It made a huge impact on me, and was when I realized that I was getting very close to getting the balance the way I wanted it. It also made me realize that HC Hunger had a huge potential for emergent gameplay in creating these kinds of memorable player experiences.

Anyways, if any of the rest of you have these kinds of stories to tell, please do, as I absolutely love hearing them :)
Locke

Post by Locke »

Dang it! Installing all these great new updates takes time away which could be spent donating or worshiping the great lord Flowerchild.

Anyway, I love this idea and I can't wait to see it improve!
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show