New Release! (BTW V4.60)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.60)

Post by JakeZKAM »

Wow FC where to start... this just fixes my biggest grief with Minecraft itself, the fact that it's a survival game, and food is such a trivial thing :D. Now I get to face the horrors and terror of starving to death! I started a new world in honor of HCH, and I'm starting out as a Nomad, taking baby steps in the tech tree mostly because I'm spending so much time gathering food :) Again well done, amazing system and I simply can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Impressive. You've made an entire new mod really! I expect that wenever I'll be starting anew again, I'll die a lot from not having any wheat to eat as I'm pretty bad getting started quickly at the start of a game :P Hopefully this change will make me a better player in the end ^^
Also, I think the kebab recipe is totally awesome! =D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lars wrote:You've made an entire new mod really!
Hehe...I guess I do that on occasion. But whatever man, I just try to make the game fun wherever that takes me, and won't be held back by some bourgeoise concept of segregating things up into individual mods ;)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

As a sufferer of OCSoD, I'm going to use this release to overcome it and build a nether rail to a distant land. Let's see what it's really like to feel hungry :)

Looking forward to trying this out FC, like HCM, such a drastic change to a basic system really does change the whole game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote: Looking forward to trying this out FC, like HCM, such a drastic change to a basic system really does change the whole game.
Oh gawds, I know man. I'm simultaneously waiting with eager anticipation for the stories to start coming out of people based on their new experiences, and dreading the potential of the whole thing blowing up in my face now that it's out in the wild :)

I've changed so many things with this release that if a broken stew recipe is all I have to worry about, I'm a happy man.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Gunnerman21 wrote:
-Removed wheat seed drop from tall grass. Domesticated crops like wheat, potatoes, and carrots, must now all be obtained through finding a village.
I understand the illogicality of tall grass dropping wheat seeds, but what if someone can't find a village? Although, I guess they could live off of pumpkin seeds or maybe watermelon if they're lucky.
I agree with this. At the beginning of the game wheat is VERY important, as a source of bread, but as well to breed animals which are an important source of food.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:I understand the illogicality of tall grass dropping wheat seeds, but what if someone can't find a village?
Then they lose. So sad. A single tear just rolled down my cheek.

True story.
warmist

Post by warmist »

Oh wow... cool with those effects. You can write down one death FC :)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gunnerman21 wrote:I understand the illogicality of tall grass dropping wheat seeds, but what if someone can't find a village?
Then they lose. So sad. A single tear just rolled down my cheek.

True story.
Your ability to navigate, effectively search the world for rare resources and explore is as core a skill to the game as strip mining, farming or spelunking!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

This is true for a rather long time now. Its impossible for me to play MC without BTW... Mojang and FC are both pretty consistent, one making the game more and more stupid, and the other making it more and more challenging and fun... Can anyone guess witch?

Ah, btw:
FlowerChild wrote:True story.
Don't believe you.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:Your ability to navigate, effectively search the world for rare resources and explore is as core a skill to the game as strip mining, farming or spelunking!
Yup. My usual snarky responses aside, the above is exactly right. Also, the consequence of not having wheat is not half as dire as some would have it portrayed. You can survive just fine, your life just becomes correspondingly more difficult.

Thus, obtaining wheat becomes something to gain satisfaction from rather than a non-event as you walk around chopping at grass.

My only regret with that particular change is that I wasn't able to restrict specific crops to individual villages due to my policy of not modifying world gen. I would have much preferred if multiple villages were required to be found in order to gain all of them.
jorgebonafe wrote:Don't believe you.
It's been awhile since I busted out a 'true' story, but I suspect you've been with me long enough to catch the reference ;)
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote:
Lars wrote:You've made an entire new mod really!
Hehe...I guess I do that on occasion. But whatever man, I just try to make the game fun wherever that takes me, and won't be held back by some bourgeoise concept of segregating things up into individual mods ;)
I'm glad that you aren't =D Still, you could if you wanted to. I'm still amazed you manage to get so much stuff done by yourself. I've always had admiration for skilled programmers, because whenever I try to understand programming thingies, my left brain half is all like; Gorngnbyfzlllpr?! Then my right brain half intervenes and is all like, 'there there it's alright, you have other qualities'. Then my left brain half reminds the right one that my other qualities don't translate into jobs that are as much sought after as a programmer, and they reach a sort of stalemate so my brain is strangly empty and confused. That's how I lead most of my life lately...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You can get by without wheat just fine. just get yourself some hemp seeds and chickens will keep you going til you can find a village. They're not that uncommon, after all.

This update has convinced me to crash build a mushroom shed, which I had been putting off. I kind of like the way it turned out.
Better is the enemy of Good
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Shut up and take my money :D

I´m proud to play this game, man

THAT sounds all very good
I think I have to make a lot of new textures...

Thank you very much !
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Man, this looks awesome. Will definitely be trying this out today. :)
I can't say for sure without actually playing, but from the looks of it this will finally put survival back into survival for me ;)

Thanks for all your hard work! As always, the level of dedication you have for this mod is inspiring.
Lots of planets have a north...!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

lolwut.
Longest changelog ever.

This is your idea of wrapping up btw eh? :P

There are too many things here to comment on, and it's impossible to comment on this release without extensive play. Holy cow have you been busy. :]

I will though comment on 2 things that caught my eye, one I really liked, one not so much.

Requiring to find a village to get wheat seeds is just brilliant. Absolutely love it. What's the point of having a practically infinite world, if you do not explore it? Well done man. Love this.

As for the part that I don't really like (even though I understand its necessity, mind you) is the increased demand in inventory space. All these changes promote using multiple slots for food, potions and bow and arrows for safety, and I was extremely frustrated by always having a full inventory even before this :P

This of course is a personal issue, as I always just..need..more..space..

Maybe it's time I made a backpack add on :P

Oh, btw I think I lied, if I read all these correctly, there is another thing I immediately like.

If the creation of complex food can be automated, this calls for complicated food creation contraptions, from farm to final item. Needless to say this kind of contraptions is by far my favourite part of btw.

Now if only block type food like cake was automatable, we could have food block dispencers around our base, so we wouldn't need to carry food around. But that is suggstion territory, and holy cow there is too much going on on this release to wrap my head around.

Sometimes I wonder were do you find the energy to mess with so many variables at the same time man, you're a beast :P

Happy new release! :D
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
warmist

Post by warmist »

Finally fishing is an useful food source.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

TL:DR - This is utterly brilliant. It complete revolutionalises the early game. To be honest I think HC hunger undersells it, its more like HC lifestyle.

I also want to say that HC movement is fantastic, it made the game feel so much more real for me. So thanks!

Story Time:

I had just died in the Nether last night whilst taking on too many Zombie Pigmen. I had fully steel armour, but was still working my way through the rest of the tech tree.

This morning I eagerly re spawned with the new mod installed.

I find myself in a swamp with some chickens and cows. I realise that hunger is going to be my biggest issue, so I quickly punch a tree and make a full set of wooden tools. (This first time I have done this in months)

I grab some beef and a set-up a furnace to start cooking meat. I also make a first night shelter. (Again this is the first time in ages, as I was actually scared of getting injured)

By this time I am already starting to feel a big sluggish and night is falling, so I wolf down some steak and started digging.

I rapidly stumble upon a mineshaft and start exploring looking for seeds. I find some iron and a dungeon, which was good, but then I stumble upon a cave spider spawn.

WARNING MINOR SPOILERS
Spoiler
Show
I try to light it up quick, but then two cave spiders come at me. I turn to run, but the poison quickly saps my strength and I am slowing down.

I turn to fight and manage to dispatch then, but am down to half a heart. I try to stubble back to my small base, but things seem to be getting dark and I can't seem to make it up the slight incline back to safety.

Through the murk I spy a creeper start towards me. I managed to fall into a small alcove and block it up before it gets me.
I write this from that hole, hoping the creeper will leave soon.

My food is running out...
Litar

Post by Litar »

One of the most impressive changelogs ever.
Man, people on my server will be angry for me deleting our world and creating a new one but with this update it just has to be done;) I'm so interested in how this actually change the game, especially the first hours.
Sorries for my english, it's not ny native language. If you are a grammar nazi and feel an imposible to suppress urge to correct me, feel free to do so in a private msg. I'll try to keep it in mind and not make the same error again:)
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

FlowerChild wrote:changes
Ok, totally overwhelmed. It's a good thing I'm sick and the family is going out for the day. It's Minecraft....errr... Better Thank Wolves Day!
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

This has to be the best changelog I have ever read - Thank you a bunch for this FC!

As a related note, I will try and find the time to do a short video on the basic concepts of hardcore hunger within the next couple of days, once I've had a chance to play a bit with it myself.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

FC, I have a complaint:

You've turned me into a masochist.

Currently (as I've said), I cannot play MC, or indeed any game, on my dying laptop. The money I was hoping for didn't come through so I've not managed to build a system yet.

I was already excited to play BTW once I finally get a new system, but now I can barely wait.

Why?

Because food is now so hard to get. No apple drops? No wheat seed drops from tall grass? I seriously cannot wait to get a new system and start a new world (my main got corrupted by my dying laptop), and starve to death while I try to get to balance with the new hunger system.

So yeah. You've turned me into a masochist. Because I cannot wait to start playing something that will make my playing more difficult.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

Like almost everyone else on this thread, I would like to say thank you and awesome job! The changeling far surpassed my expectations and I can't wait to play it later today. Great job.

On a related note, you said that HCH is subject to tweaking in the future. Where would be the best place to post any information such as the broken stew recipe in order to help in the tweaking process?
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Someone has been very busy with making minecraft a whole lot better. The changelog made me pretty speechless about all of the anti-wolftastic deliciousness that you put out this update as well as all other updates. I now have a reason to go out and explore more.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

***squeegasm***

Flowerchild holy heck! Incredible update. Thank you!!!!!!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D