[4.899999][Whitelist] BTW Official Co-Op Server

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
dawnraider

Re: [4.58] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by dawnraider »

Well, I've gotten my road about 500-750 blocks from my base, going N to spawn. I have no idea how far I am, though. I am just passing a desert village bordered by a snow biome, a mountain biome, and a forest, with a red windmill and a log wall around it. I don't know who that is, but I'm curious.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If the Wind Mill is red and black, that's likely me :)

Try to give the village a *wide* (and I mean very wide) birth please. Otherwise, it will likely interfere with my expansion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW: On the bright side, if that is my base, the road running through it goes all the way to spawn, so you can just hook up to that.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

After doing some portal jumping, I've now established a pair of portals linking to and from my base. In doing this I may have created portals that are now interfering with some of yours. If you come across my portals they're all marked with a sign and given a letter. I only need letters A, D, E, and L. All the rest are fair game for whatever.

Also I've found the witch hut again and this time I know where it is! More roads are on the way as a result.

I'll be off the server until Monday.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I just added our Nether Portal and going through linked to a portal near spawn, a decent ways away. I'll have to steal your linking technique knowledge Sterling. Any suggestions on how to position our nether portal correctly? Any quirks? Or trial and error?
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

dawnraider wrote:Well, I've gotten my road about 500-750 blocks from my base, going N to spawn. I have no idea how far I am, though. I am just passing a desert village bordered by a snow biome, a mountain biome, and a forest, with a red windmill and a log wall around it. I don't know who that is, but I'm curious.
Is it bridge that you're talking about? Because there is bridge going on towards FC's base too that I'm using atm to get to spawn. Damn FC's base is becoming central spot :D

I picked place for base by just dying, and after I made compass it seemed that it was few hundred blocks away from FC's base.

Ill be off server till monday. My plans for my place is firstly making mayan temple, and then maybe even expand to making even a city. I live acros the pine tree biome in jungle from FC's base in desert.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

tom_savage wrote:I just added our Nether Portal and going through linked to a portal near spawn, a decent ways away. I'll have to steal your linking technique knowledge Sterling. Any suggestions on how to position our nether portal correctly? Any quirks? Or trial and error?
The good news is portals follow some pretty strict rules. The bad news is their a pain to fix without f3. A lot of guess and check is required.

1. Every time you enter a portal, the game will search for an existing portal to send you through within a certain range. For traveling to the nether the game looks for a portal in a 127 block radius in the nether centered at the ideal location. For traveling to the overworld I'm not sure what the range is. This is why you can get displaced so far.
2. If the game cannot find an existing portal in range, it creates one somewhat as close as it can to the ideal location. If there's something like a lava lake where the portal should be, it will move the portal over to the nearest land. So if the nether side is 50 blocks off, this equates to 400 blocks in the overworld. When you go back through, often the portal you started in is further away than another existing portal or out of range and the game makes a new one.
3. Vertical height doesn't matter. Portals check X and z for placement only.

How to fix it: I took portal A from my overworld base to the nether. I popped out in portal B. I went through portal B and popped out portal C. I found myself several hundred blocks north west of my overworld base. This meant that the portal B in the nether is too far to the north west. So I needed to move the portal to the south east. In the nether I built portal D a random distance to the south east of portal B. I went through and popped out in portal E. Portal E was maybe a hundred blocks south west of my base. So I went back to the nether and built portal F just a little north east of portal D. Traveling through that took me to portal A. Traveling through portal A took me to portal F. Tada, it's fixed! It actually took longer than that as I went the wrong way the first few portals and my last one that worked was portal L. But in theory that's what you need to do.

Figure out the direction the portal in the nether needs to move to link to your base. Then build a series of portals in that direction until you get one that works.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

SterlingRed wrote:
tom_savage wrote: my last one that worked was portal L.
Yikes! Oh well, at least I know I'm on the right track. Dealing with this in SMP is a lot different; I keep finding portals that appear to be leftover from the anarchy days.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Just to clarify, direction in the nether can be transferred over from the overworld via which way you are facing when you enter? You should be facing the same way when you pop out in the nether, correct?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yeah I hit a few of those too. Player made portals at random definitely make it harder. I just labeled those as well when I ended up in one and if they were in the way or whatever I broke the portal.
I did end up re finding a witch hut I'd found on a hard core spawn adventure and lost. So that has been a side bonus, I know where it is and already started laying down a base to turn it into a farm.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Linked my portal, tore down all overworld and nether extras. If anyone else is trying to align theirs and keeps going to mine, let me know. The placement of mine could be roughly about 20-30 blocks off, so I might be able to align mine better if needs be.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

tom_savage wrote:Just to clarify, direction in the nether can be transferred over from the overworld via which way you are facing when you enter? You should be facing the same way when you pop out in the nether, correct?
Everything I've seen has said it's supposed to maintain player direction. However, I used this to establish my orientation and definitely ended up heading the wrong way with my portals. Ie, the orientation I based it on was entirely backwards. I thought I was facing west, based on where portals placed me I found it was actually east. So I would use the cobblestone texture trick just to be sure. The texture always orients the same way regardless of placement. One corner has an L in it I don't recall which one atm.

Also, if you come across a sign in the nether near a broken portal that says west with an arrow, yeah that's definitely east.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sounds like we need an iron beacon in the nether ;)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:Sounds like we need an iron beacon in the nether ;)
Yes that would help greatly if the beacon location correlates correctly to a known location in the overworld so that it can be used as a point of reference. I was too impatient to work up to beacons so I used my method above instead ;-).

I suggest an iron beacon at the equivalent nether location of spawn. Doesn't have to be, but that would make it easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: I suggest an iron beacon at the equivalent nether location of spawn. Doesn't have to be, but that would make it easy.
Yup, I agree. Of course, once we get to the beacon stage of the tech-tree all hell is going to break loose with regards to navigation, but having an iron beacon in the vicinity of spawn in the nether will certainly help.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Alright, my bridge is about 50 to 100 blocks out from your base, so I can rip out the last few sections (aka about 50 blocks into the snow biome, further if you need and bring it to the ground and just make a path. If you think I should cut back more let me know.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Locke

Post by Locke »

Oh, I love fuzziness, count me in.
IGN:steven_hawking

On a side note, I may be able to host something, I have an old computer sitting around and I was thinking about creating a server on it. Do you want me to host the mumble or something?
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

So, I'm having a bit of an issue - trying to login to the server today, and I'm getting an error: "Disconnected by Server, Kicked by an operator". I have to guess this is some sort of glitch or accident, because I have had nothing but positive interactions with everyone on the server. Can anyone give me any sort of heads-up to what might be going on? My IGN is, like here, CrimsonStorm. Thanks!
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Oh Crimson thank god. I went to log on and got the same thing and was like "WTF I didn't do anything bad!" So it does look like its a server issue. Or the two of us are in collusion on some conspiracy that we ourselves are unaware of.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just tested it out and got kicked by an operator too :)

Will look into it.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

I dunno, FC, maybe you're part of the conspiracy too! ;)

Glad to hear it isn't just me, and thanks for looking into it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No idea what's going on here. I checked the console and it appears people are getting booted for not being white listed. I restarted the server, checked the white list both in file form and from the console, checked the ban list to make sure we weren't on it, and it's still booting me on join.

I also connected to Edolas to make sure this was an account problem on Mojang's end, and that worked fine.

Unless Battosay has any ideas, I'm fairly stumped here. Might be a temporary Fragnet issue or something, but it's definitely odd.

I'm kinda neck-deep in working on the next release right now, so I'd prefer not to spend too much time on this issue. If anyone eventually connects, please post to let us all know it's been resolved.
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Still seems to not be working as of current.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

That was very weird.
I had the same issue as you guys, so I went and reboot *everything*, and reinstalled McMyAdmin, and it seems to work now, I was able to log in :)
Let me know if there's still a problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:That was very weird.
I had the same issue as you guys, so I went and reboot *everything*, and reinstalled McMyAdmin, and it seems to work now, I was able to log in :)
Let me know if there's still a problem.
Awesome man! Thanks for taking a look, as I have no idea how to do any of that. Honestly, I don't think I even knew that could be done :)