Automatic large mushroom farming?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BlackCat

Automatic large mushroom farming?

Post by BlackCat »

So this is going to sound absolutely absurd, but has anyone been able to make a pusher style large mushroom farm using block dispensers?

I'm interested to see if it has ever been done before, and hopefully if it has I can get some idea of how I might want to make my own. (I want to build one in my world so I can decorate with mushroom blocks)

My only idea so far has been using a cobble gen to push blocks and then delete the cobble (which could work, it just wouldn't be worth it in any way)

That said, I don't know for certain what the growth requirements are in terms of space, all I know is that you need mycelium.

If anyone has any ideas for a farm, or any information as to what the space requirements are, I would appreciate it greatly.

Edit: Also mining charges are out of the question.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
TheGatesofLogic

Re: Automatic large mushroom farming?

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

The real problem with these types of farms are that mushroom blocks don't decay like leaves do... Its possible to make them, and not incredibly hard either, but you end up cutting the growth rate in half because you need to use the minimum growth size. I actually have made one though, I'll post pics soon.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Battosay had a modification to his basic BD tree farm design that included a hibachi to burn off the remaining leaves. I'm not sure if large mushrooms burn, but if they do, then this would be a solution
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
TheGatesofLogic

Yeah, but the problem with those farms are that they are so damn slow! Pusher farms are the fastesT you will find anywhere
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

My point was the use of the hibachi for getting rid of the extra blocks, not the use of BDs in the farm :P
If hibachis work for burning off mushroom foliage, then couldn't you make a pusher farm for them and use a hibachi to get rid of the extra blocks?

A short while later:

Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I tried burning mycelium blocks from large mushroom a while ago, it did not work.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Damn, and I thought I finally had a minor stroke of genius :P

A short while later:

embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Back when I was playing BTB I had thought of doing this, but the growing restrictions are insane, you just can't do anything reasonable. I guess you could try and do something with sand, it's doable but a pain in the ass.
Wait for the giant mushroom to grow, have sand fall on top of it and push it down, or have sand rise up from the bottom. As in a tree farm but instead of a 1x1 sand pillar you need a 6x6 sand column. I can't remember now, but if you can destroy the mushroom blocks with a saw you could have a sand floor rising up and pushing the mushroom upwards onto a ceiling of saws. Floor comes back down again and you use a water stream or something to push the mushrooms away. I guess you still have to replant, which is the trickiest part if I remember correctly because of the tight growing restrictions.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Try something like this:

M-D
CCC

M=Mushroom
-=Air
D=Block Dispenser
C=Mycelium

Let the mushrooms grow onto the air then harvest them with the BD.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Uhhhh not that easy.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
TheGatesofLogic

He missed the part where the thread topic says LARGE mushrooms not normal mushrooms
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Baottsay had a video of one:

Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Spoiler
Show
LARGE mushroom ;)
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Somehow I understood large farm of mushrooms.