Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BlackCat

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by BlackCat »

The pre-release is out....aaaannnd they couldn't have done much worse by me if they tried.

My biggest gripe is probably the large amount of so called "bugfixes" which will break countless builds (including a few of mine unfortunately)

*sigh*
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

1 week to mind-numbing update ville. Good to know :)

EDIT: And of course, with new bugs that should probably warrant 1.51

From the wiki:
MC-9553 - Hit-Boxes/Particles dont render correctly with Ice/Water
MC-11236 - Paintings popping out
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Yeah, reading over the change logs it seems like I'll have my work cut out for me in regards to fixing (or being forced to abandon) various builds, I'm especially bitter about the "BUD glitch fix" and the "Redstones circuits are more *consistent*."

I can hardly imagine what it will be like for you, I wish you luck man.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

<shrug> I don't expect anything *too* heavy out of this release. Aside from the texture system change, mostly just cutting.

It's unlikely the BUD thing will affect Buddy BTW, and I'll make sure to reverse any changes that do.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

It's not that, it's the fact that the BUD glitch will affect many piston circuits in general.

Diagonally powering it still triggers a BUD glitch, but most of the methods of updating have been stripped (at least from what I have played of the snapshot which might have changed)

So it will definitely have an impact on BTW, just by way of fucking over a lot of piston builds.

MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Here's a quick and helpful video about the changes:

War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Here's a quick and helpful video about the changes:
Thanks for the link. Very informative video.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Here's a quick and helpful video about the changes:
I think the coolest thing I got from that video was that swamp slime spawning is affected by moon phase. Most of the other stuff I've already heard about from previous discussions in this thread. But thanks for posting that, it was indeed quite helpful.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

I found this gif on Reddit.
Spoiler
Show
It really angers me. If this is any interpretation of where minecraft is heading, i'm completley just devastated. It started off as an awesome game, but seriously now it's all about fucking around and doing stupid shit.
like Garrys mod for example.
Jeb and dinnerbone just add in shit, half assed, breaking more and more shit with each update. It saddens me to even know that they touched the lighting engine, because i know something is going to break.

A bull in a china shop, i tell you. This is why we can't have nice things.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Mikko_blu wrote:It really angers me. If this is any interpretation of where minecraft is heading, i'm completley just devastated. It started off as an awesome game, but seriously now it's all about fucking around and doing stupid shit.
Complete agreement here, though I would like to point out that Garry's Mod is considered a good game in its own right, separate from its parent game HL2, whereas Minecraft is a single game with both ideas (Survival vs Creative modes). Garry's Mod sort of expects its users to dick around and lob explosives at each other, while Half-Life 2 expects to be taken seriously. Minecraft is like Garry's Mod pretending to still be HL2...

Does that make FC sort of a reverse Garry, taking a derpy engine and turning it into a cohesive, serious game?
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: I think the coolest thing I got from that video was that swamp slime spawning is affected by moon phase.
Yeah, I must admit that I chuckled at that part of the vid. It's like, of all the cool things you could have determined by the moon phase, why slimes?

Just felt kinda random to me. Yes, it's cool the moon has an effect...but...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, it sure does set a precedent, *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* :P
War..
War never changes.

Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

haphazardnuke wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:It really angers me. If this is any interpretation of where minecraft is heading, i'm completley just devastated. It started off as an awesome game, but seriously now it's all about fucking around and doing stupid shit.
Complete agreement here, though I would like to point out that Garry's Mod is considered a good game in its own right, separate from its parent game HL2, whereas Minecraft is a single game with both ideas (Survival vs Creative modes). Garry's Mod sort of expects its users to dick around and lob explosives at each other, while Half-Life 2 expects to be taken seriously. Minecraft is like Garry's Mod pretending to still be HL2...

Does that make FC sort of a reverse Garry, taking a derpy engine and turning it into a cohesive, serious game?

Oh don't get me wrong, i love garrys mod, however these changes to minecraft don't really have any thought to them, they are just pointless additions to make it so people can further fuck off, and not have any real gameplay, INCLUDING the people who //do// want gameplay that's hard and fun.
i.e, fireworks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well, it sure does set a precedent, *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* :P
Remember...trying to get the fuck out of Dodge here and onto RTH :)

There was some talk awhile ago about plants that only bloomed during night or particular phases of the moon...that kind of thing. I liked the idea and am sure I would have gotten around to it eventually.

Slimes on the other hand...errrr...huh? What's the rationale behind that? What impact does it have on gameplay? What?

But yeah...must...stop...adding...content ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Haha, doesn't hurt having it in your notes, who knows when you will get impulsive and need a break from rth engine coding for eg, and absolutely need to have villagers turn to creepers if exposed to the sky during the full moon :P

But I would actually like it if they had made wolves be affected by the moon phases, I mean how much more obvious can you get? Slimes.. well, they are a semiliquid gelatinous cube, so maybe the tides caused by the moon affect them ;p
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Slimes.. well, they are a semiliquid gelatinous cube, so maybe the tides caused by the moon affect them ;p
Maybe :)

That sounds more like the kind of rationale that you throw together to support cool gameplay though, which if it's present, I'm just not seeing given that slimes are more of a nuisance mob than anything else. Are they expecting people to go on full-moon slime hunting expeditions to support their sticky piston habit or something?

To me, it feels more like a "we have moon phases so I guess we should use them" kinda thing.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Eh, I actually chalk that down to vmc being wacky as always. I'm not bothered by slimes being affected by moon phases, I'm bothered that moon phases are not expanded as a gameplay element..
War..
War never changes.

Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Eh, I actually chalk that down to vmc being wacky as always. I'm not bothered by slimes being affected by moon phases, I'm bothered that moon phases are not expanded as a gameplay element..
On the other hand, if expanded upon further, the slime/moon phase thing could potentially be interesting - If slime chunks were removed (as they always felt meta-gamey and had no ingame "justification"), and slimes purely tied to the moon phase over the muddy waters of a swamp biome, you would have made the slime considerably more interesting, without need for metagamey tools like mapping out chunks or using a slime finder app. It just doesnt seem Mojang wants to go all the way to make their additions interesting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Couldn't agree more. Slime chunks? Really? Randomly?

Biome or even moon tied spawning is much more solid as a mechanic. Oh, well, what can you do, too late for that.
War..
War never changes.

Skwirral

Post by Skwirral »

They should have made villagers turn into wolves or vice versa through moon phases. Or maybe make them perform arcane rituals or something? I mean, that, or the plants thing, or maybe special potion or beacon effects based on moon phases are about the only things that would make sense (tides being horrendously ridiculous to implement so I didn't count them.)
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

And gosh, it sure would be a shame if those witches they have lying around did things on the night of a full moon
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Conscript Gary wrote:And gosh, it sure would be a shame if those witches they have lying around did things on the night of a full moon
Wait, what are you saying? That a game feature could have more than a single simple purpose, or that it might actually challenge the player?

>.>
<.<

O.O BURN, HERETIC!
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

The video listed a few good things that were added, but overall really the only things I'm looking forward to for this update are maybe the additions to the Crafting table UI with click functions (I'll see where they go with this, hopefully not over the top "Look guys! You can triple click and it auto-places on the table!" like I forsee happening), possibly animated textures, the ability to ride entities and stay on when re-entering a save (as long as it wasn't added for something stupid like riding entities that are riding entities), and I guess the stair sprinting fix. Almost everything not listed previously, no, just no.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Noir posted this link to IRC, and just wanted to share as the consequence of various design choices made for the redstone update in a face-palming kinda way...

Welcome to the new Minecraft everyone.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

eeeeeeyup.

Face-palms were had.