Best way to transport large groups of villagers

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gabecraft1234

Best way to transport large groups of villagers

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

In light of the new villager changes I have decided that it is now worth my while to transport the population of a village to my base. Unfortunately the nearest village is some 1000s of blocks away.

A rail way is pretty much out of the question because of the time and resource cost.

And leading them by diamond will probably result in them all dying.

Are there any other ways you guys can think of?
Heightren

Re: Best way to transport large groups of villagers

Post by Heightren »

I believe that the best way would be to use a railway in the nether. It should be 8 times faster and much safer, if entities can travel through nether portals in 1.4.7. Not completely sure about this, as there have been loads of snapshots for a long time.
The story of my life...
Sh!t, I don't remember what my life was like!
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Heightren wrote:if entities can travel through nether portals in 1.4.7
They can, although I'm not sure if FC has gotten a hold of the code for this and added a few surprises for us. If you go through the Nether with them, I would be VERY careful and do so quickly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Padfoote wrote: They can, although I'm not sure if FC has gotten a hold of the code for this and added a few surprises for us. If you go through the Nether with them, I would be VERY careful and do so quickly.
Hehe...I must say that I really appreciate the sense of paranoia that has been fostered in BTW players by recent releases :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I once moved a group of villagers some 800-ish blocks in a single player world - What I did was scout out the route I would take beforehand, and over the course of it, I would cut down trees and build a number of shelters that I could store the villagers in, in case I needed to break off the journey or night fell upon me. Simple huts with double fence gates work wonders for this, as long as you light up the insides and the very close surroundings.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

TNT Launch them.

But seriously, I'd go either nether or what Thal said.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I would dig a tunnel, nice and safe and well lit. Once they are in, seal it at the village end and lead them through with a diamond. If you get bored, wall up the tunnel just behind them and come back to it later!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...I must say that I really appreciate the sense of paranoia that has been fostered in BTW players by recent releases :)
This is exacerbated by the way I found out a wolf that has been transported through the nether retains its netherwolf behaviors once you bring it back out. I'm not sure I actually want to find out what happens if you do that with villagers. Event Horizon scarred me for years after my dad tricked me into going to see it with him.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

With regard to nether rails how will I know which direction to travel in to get to the right spot in the overworld?

Also what is nether wolf behavior? I must have missed that one.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The direction the player faces is always the same when going through portals. If you need to check periodically, put down a block with a texture that has an obvious facing, as blocks always orient in the same direction. Personally I've been using cobble for the purpose since alpha.

As for wolf behavior, take a spare pooch into the nether and find out. I would advise against turning it into a cube afterward though.
Better is the enemy of Good
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I have to agree with Shengji, tunnelling is the safest way, and arguably the fastest if nether doesn't work.

Sure it is a lot of work to tunnel 1000 blocks, but it is much more work trying to herd villagers around, up and down elevations, water, and chasms :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

This thread kinda scared me.

At least villager transportation is a one time thing. Having it be an epic event isnt all that bad. Of course, I feel like a hypocrite as I have a pre-update zombie-cured village dirtopolis going.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

Quick tip:

When traveling through the nether diagonally across blocks don't forget to divide your nether block distance by the square root of 2.

I just learned that one the hard way.