Auto Kiln and Urn Spinner

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Foxy Boxes

Auto Kiln and Urn Spinner

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Credit to Noir, without the compact Kiln and Pottery Spinner I would never of built this. The following will process any Kiln-able materials as well as spinning clay into urns, which are then fired. There are pros and cons to this build, as follows:

Pros:
- Quite Compact. Only taking up 5x9x7 (X,Y,Z), this build is as compact as I could make it, although further refinement may be possible.
- Fully Capable. With the exception of Wood (which occasionally burns before it reaches the kiln proper), this build will automatically process any material that a normal kiln would.
- Urns made easy. Any clay placed within will be converted into urns.

Cons:
- Clay can only be turned into urns. Due to the way everything is hooked up to the pottery timer, clay can only be turned into urns at the moment. This may or may not be changeable with some minor/semi-major tweaks.
- Unpredictable. Occasionally the Block Dispenser will fail to dispense a block onto the pottery part. I have yet to have an item despawn because of this but it is technically possible. Also, due to the way the Kiln empties for mass-urning, items will not exit the kiln at regular intervals. This is only a problem when there is a non-ore/wood on the pottery spinner though.

So without further ado, pictures:
Show
Adjacent (to the left) of the lower bricks is a sticky piston (as will be visable from one of the sides). A Block Dispenser acts as a timer sending a signal first into the bricks, triggering the stick piston, then to the top, triggering that sticky piston. Lastly the BUDdy Block sends an inverted signal to the Block Dispenser at the top (which is facing downwards), telling it to place another block. The Redstone Lamp visible is a timer for the bellows.
Sides
Show
As you can see the Kiln is powered by three Habachi. The lower BUDdy Block spins the pottery and also triggers the timer. Inside the lower Block Dispenser is 8 partial blocks and a redstone torch. When triggered the lower sticky piston shoves the block into the kiln proper, where it cooks.

And here's the bellows timer. The lower piece of redstone reverses the direction of the Turntable, whilst the block gets powered by the torch, powering the redstone atop the gearbox.
Comments + (constructibe) Criticisms?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
emptychild

Re: Auto Kiln and Urn Spinner

Post by emptychild »

That looks really awesome man. My one question would be what happens to the extra clay balls that spin off while making the urn? I didn't see anything that took care of them and that's one of the big things that has been plaguing all of my attempts to design a auto potter/kiln.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

At the moment they just get pushed out and collected with the rest of the items. Not sure how I would recycle them automatically, because there's not enough room for a (powered) hopper atop the input. At best, manually reinsert the clay once it's exited the kiln.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Six

Post by Six »

Foxy Boxes wrote:At the moment they just get pushed out and collected with the rest of the items. Not sure how I would recycle them automatically, because there's not enough room for a (powered) hopper atop the input. At best, manually reinsert the clay once it's exited the kiln.
So long as they are collected, that seems good enough. I've been spinning my brain trying to think of a method which would recycle the balls and fire the pottery, but that is hard to keep compact.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I approve.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Yeah as long as they're collected it's not that hard to put them back in the top. Especially since with the BD you don't even need to make them into blocks again before reinserting them.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
herp of derp

Post by herp of derp »

I'm pretty sure I built it exactly the same as is shown, but all of the clay balls seem stuck on the lip of the hopper toward the fire side. There doesn't seem to be any space for a piston to push them over and I'd hate to lose 3/4 of the clay used. Any ideas how to fix it?
Edit: Also any way we can add an ejection after it's empty, to get the last lot of items?

I'd also like to know how a compact soul bottler could be added. Soul source doesn't matter, provided there's room for any type of tree farm or netherrack grinder. It would also be quite important that it fails safely, ceasing to filter souls while no urn is present.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

herp of derp wrote:I'm pretty sure I built it exactly the same as is shown, but all of the clay balls seem stuck on the lip of the hopper toward the fire side. There doesn't seem to be any space for a piston to push them over and I'd hate to lose 3/4 of the clay used. Any ideas how to fix it?
Edit: Also any way we can add an ejection after it's empty, to get the last lot of items?
It sounds like you haven't got the last sticky piston (the one on the top) hooked up. It's a bit random in when the items're dispensed but it should do it. So just to repeat, is the top sticky piston a) hooked up and b) facing down?

As for a compact soul bottler, I don't think I could beat Noir's.
herp of derp

Post by herp of derp »

It's definitely pushing the top brick block into the kiln area, but maybe because both pistons push at the exact same time, they're not moving the items forward.

I was about to tack on Noir's compact bottler, but I thought there might be a tidier way that didn't require water. I've also been having problems getting Noir's to work, hard to tell with the two small pictures, but I think I put the buddy blocks in the correct orientation and nothing seems to be missing. The urns are replaced before full, except occasionally one might get through. The process stops even when there are more urns and nether rack to dispense and some of it gets pushed into the second hopper with the hellfire dust. I was going to tinker a bit more before asking Noir about it, but I suppose he'll see this here.

In general, I haven't really seen a clearly shown factory design. If someone could send me one I'll shut up about it.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I'd be glad to post a pic of my most compact SFS factory in the near future, the kiln and urn spinner I use are noir's design and the netherack stream splitter I'm using is on the fritz but I'll post a pic ASAP
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I made this video back when I had my server. I still play the world on my own now, and it's evolved quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBLWKPcqFE
Spoiler
Show
The building has clay processing, kiln, netherrack grinding, and soul urn making. It's designed so each process can keep up with the one above it, meaning that I can chuck the ingredients in and leave it on, and it'll keep going till something runs out.
I actually talk a bit about how I design my projects, in terms of the timing, as this video was recorded when there were lots of super-fast urn bottlers popping up everywhere. Not bashing on those kinds of projects, they are very good and quite challenging sometimes, but I personally tend to look at stuff as a whole, and try to mesh projects in with each other where possible.
It's all about the bottlenecks. I rant about it quite a length of the video.
herp of derp

Post by herp of derp »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:I'd be glad to post a pic of my most compact SFS factory in the near future, the kiln and urn spinner I use are noir's design and the netherack stream splitter I'm using is on the fritz but I'll post a pic ASAP
I think everyone would love to see something like that, thanks.
embirrim wrote:The building has clay processing, kiln, netherrack grinding, and soul urn making. It's designed so each process can keep up with the one above it, meaning that I can chuck the ingredients in and leave it on, and it'll keep going till something runs out.
I'd actually seen your video before when I was searching for a compact factory. Though I couldn't see all the mechanisms clearly enough to recreate it and it seemed far larger than was necessary. It is a great system and I see your point about timing and total speed accounting for bottlenecks, but Foxy Boxes' adaptation of Noir's modules turned out to be the size of a medium room rather than a big building. I think a few people would be interested in a reliable clay to soul urn process that doesn't take up so much space, rather than the small benefit faster processing gives to this product. I also think that soul input could be left up to the player so as not to constrain the whole factory too much.
Edit: Oh, and waterless is a huge plus too, for both nether and HCB.

I don't want to derail this thread, I'm just interested in what we can do to improve Foxy's design and also combine it with a bottler.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

The compact soul bottler I made is not meant to be used in combination with automation chains, it was more about challenging myself than it was about making a revolutionary design.

I wouldn't mind working on a more "automation" friendly soul bottler, but as it stands, using the 3x3x5 would be somewhat ill advised for something like this.

I'll reread what has been posted and edit in any advice I might have, but from what I've seen you're already doing it pretty good job on this.

Edit (Not advice): Herp of derp I'll look at that right now actually, if you wouldn't mind posting some pics of how you set it up I would appreciate it.

Yeah as for the soul bottler in my thread, the buddy block positions aren't exactly clear.
In the front below the button the buddy block is facing down, in the back the top buddy is facing up and the bottom buddy is facing right.

Edit: As far as adding a soul bottler to this design, I would recommend a drop past tripwires or something similar and into a powered hopper above a block dispenser.

Tripwire (or whatever you decide to use) would tell the block dispenser to spit out the collected urn and then tell dispensers to shoot out your soul material of choice.

Something like that *should* get the job done (assuming the logic in my head checks out in practice)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
TheTrexable

Post by TheTrexable »

Very creative nice work