Mobs wearing enchanted armour drop regular armour

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

Mobs wearing enchanted armour drop regular armour

Post by The great randomo »

When a skeleton dropped a full set of enchanted armour, and a zombie gave me a shovel with eff 3, unb 3 and silk touch, I had the feeling it was too OP. What if you were to find them when you first spawn?
Along with the added difficulty that I expect enchantments are going to be to obtain, this simply doesn't mesh with the game.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
DaveYanakov

Re: Mobs wearing enchanted armour drop regular armour

Post by DaveYanakov »

Those tools, while very powerful, are almost always at very low durability, preventing them from being game breaking. Getting a silk touch shovel that has 40 uses left even with unbreaking 3 isn't exactly a game changer. It's a luck of the draw thing, sort of like finding an exposed cluster of 12 diamond ore while looking for redstone in a cave.

Easily enchanting an iron pick with fortune 3 is going to be going away. That was broken. Finding that same pick with enough durability left to mine a vein or two of lapis will be a nice bonus when you find it. If you have a mob trap that results in enchanted tools being common, you're going to be able to create better enchantments tailored to your needs more easily anyway.

Bottom line, it's too early to worry about balance issues for a state of gameplay that doesn't even exist yet. Give things a chance to settle out one the arcane enchanting goes away before talking fixing it.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Mobs wearing enchanted armour drop regular armour

Post by FlowerChild »

Well said Dave. These kinds of uber enchants are also exceedingly rare to find, and as Dave mentioned, I don't think giving players the occasional taste of things to come in a low durability form breaks anything.